Ads not shown when logged in

Thread: Taylors Landlord.

Default Taylors Landlord.

Hopefully someone on here can help resolve a pub "discussion" we had the other night in our local about Landlord. Googling has failed to turn up any results.

The "discussion" was about how long it had been available on draught. I thought it was only since the mid 70s and the reason for my stance is............

...........in the early 70s whilst on holiday in Lloret with 6 mates we met a couple who ran a Taylors pub in Keighley and they invited us over for a night when we got back to England.

A few weeks later we ventured over into the badlands to try this strange brew called Timothy Taylors?

As the night progressed we tried the full range of their available draught beers, which probably was only bitter and Golden Best, but as the night drew to a close Leo, the landlord, said try this bottled beer called Landlord and he commented that it was soon to be available on draught.

Now whether he meant it was already available and he was going to start selling it on draught or whether Taylors were going to start brewing it for selling on draught wasn,t discussed as far as i can recall (strange how i can remember a conversation about beer from the 70s but don,t remember a word my wife said yesterday).

So its over to you lads and lasses if you can clear up this pub discussion. There is no money riding on it.
    From the home of the kebab of doom

We're not really 'ere! trainman's Avatar

I can't answer the question, but would be more surprised if Golden Best was brewed back in the 70s.
    Re Landlord; I was amazed, just last year, to see it described in a fest's tasting notes as an IPA, but subsequently found the description to have been lifted, verbatim, from the TT website.

Get some gravy on it. Maldenman's Avatar
    Motspur Park or whichever pub I happen to be in at the time.

According to Ratebeer it was first brewed in cask form in 1953.

http://www.ratebeer.com/beer/timothy...rd-cask/44523/

This Space For Hire

From Beer and Skittles, Richard Boston, 1976

"Timothy Taylor and Co Ltd, Keighley, Yorkshire.

Nearly 30 tied houses in Keighley and nearby. Two draught bitters, a dark mild and an old served by hand or electric pump. There is also a strong draught bitter called Draught Landlord which appears to be available only at the Hare and Hounds, Hebden Bridge. Timothy Taylor's pubs are some of the pleasantest in the north of England."

It would seem their beer range has changed little in 35 years. One can only guess that Landlord was a very limited edition on draught at the time and might well have been for 20 years before then. My 1981 GBG has it listed all over the place (well, West Yorkshire), so it must have been released into the wild sometime around the end of the 70s.

http://www.timothytaylor.co.uk/Default.aspx
    Last edited by NickDavies; 19-09-2010 at 11:29.

I'll stay on me own

In the 1976 GBG Landlord is listed at a gravity of 1042 and is described as a "Distinctive Bitter" this is the earliest GBG i have got and i was'nt old enough to drink when that guide was printed.

This Space For Hire aleandhearty's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by trainman View Post
    I can't answer the question, but would be more surprised if Golden Best was brewed back in the 70s.
    Quote Originally Posted by Al 10000 View Post
    In the 1976 GBG Landlord is listed at a gravity of 1042 and is described as a "Distinctive Bitter" this is the earliest GBG i have got and i was'nt old enough to drink when that guide was printed.
    Hey Al. Snap! I bought my first GBG at the tender age of 16 and have kept it for sentimental reasons ever since.

'T/M', five Taylor beers were listed back then: Bitter, Best Bitter, Landlord, Ram Tam and Golden Mild - which I'm assuming was Golden Best under a slightly different name?
    'And where he supped the past lived still. And where he sipped the glass brimmed full' John Barleycorn, Carol Ann Duffy.

Quote Originally Posted by aleandhearty View Post
    Hey Al. Snap! I bought my first GBG at the tender age of 16 and have kept it for sentimental reasons ever since.

'T/M', five Taylor beers were listed back then: Bitter, Best Bitter, Landlord, Ram Tam and Golden Mild - which I'm assuming was Golden Best under a slightly different name?
    That's odd the 1976 edition was my first too although I sold it to a friend when I got the 1977 version. The oldest I have now is 1978. I read somewhere recently about the introduction of Landlord in the fifties but I can't find where , it may have been on Ron Pattinson, Martyn Cornell or AJT's blog. The oldest quote I can provide is this from Frank Baillie's "The Beerdrinker's Companion" (1970), incidently the first book on beer I ever read;

"Beers
    Draught beers include a very well flavoured Best Bitter and light bitter (called Golden Best Light Mild) both with the smack of hops, a stronger bitter called Draught Landlord, a dark mild and old which is a strong dark ale........Draught beers are mainly dispensed by electric pumps with a counter metering system or manual bar pumps."

Pussy Galore No 1 Oggwyn Trench's Avatar

Having a poke round the interweb most sites agree , first brewed for the Bottle 1952 then Cask in 1953
    Theres a Man with a Mullet going Mad with a Mallet in Millets !