Ads not shown when logged in
Page 3 of 26 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Pubs Galore Meet Up - Friday 12 November - Birmingham

We're not really 'ere! trainman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RogerB View Post
    I booked mine through the London Midland Railways site and got a ticket for £25 which I thought was a good deal.
    I don't get that Roger - more expensive than the trains previously suggested & still available? (eg £10 out, £7 back. £5 out available on slower trains).

A&H, your public transport option is ludicrous for a 110mile trip but, if you were determined, and time on your side, you could get a £7.80 day return (train) to Sheffield (27mins) and then pick up a megabus to Brum, varying between 105mins & 135mins, currently £5e/w for that date.

We're not really 'ere! trainman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Quinno View Post
    to be honest, the best fares available are usually those from the bloke at the ticketing office on a quiet weekday afternoon a good fortnight before travelling (that's how it seems to work in Reading anyway!).
    Hmm, I like to check it myself first, so I know what deals might be out there - not much incentive for the ticket office to go out of their way to find the best deal although, you're right, occasionally someone will.

Quote Originally Posted by trainman View Post
    Hmm, I like to check it myself first, so I know what deals might be out there - not much incentive for the ticket office to go out of their way to find the best deal although, you're right, occasionally someone will.
    hence the quiet weekday afternoon - they're often bored and will do a bit of searching if you smile at them

Quote Originally Posted by trainman View Post
    I don't get that Roger - more expensive than the trains previously suggested & still available? (eg £10 out, £7 back. £5 out available on slower trains).
    I couldn't find anything that cheap although I didn't really have time to or the inclination to scour the web in too great detail. I was expecting the train to be £40/50 so £25 was good enough for me even if it can be done cheaper.

This Space For Hire aleandhearty's Avatar

Quinno, Roger, trainman: Thanks for your suggestions. Thirty six quid was the cheapest rail option I could find. The thought of a rail /coach combo doesn't seem too bad on the outward journey, but the permutations for disaster on the return trip, when I'll be 'nicely', seem daunting to say the least! Will investigate further though.
    'And where he supped the past lived still. And where he sipped the glass brimmed full' John Barleycorn, Carol Ann Duffy.

Former Pubs Galore Coder

Quote Originally Posted by aleandhearty View Post
    Quinno, Roger, trainman: Thanks for your suggestions. Thirty six quid was the cheapest rail option I could find. The thought of a rail /coach combo doesn't seem too bad on the outward journey, but the permutations for disaster on the return trip, when I'll be 'nicely', seem daunting to say the least! Will investigate further though.
    That sounds strangely reminiscent of a conversation that was had in the office.

If anyone is travelling on the West Coast mainline between Euston and Birmingham New Street, have you checked the Virgin Trains website? Off peak one way starts at £7.
    Waes hael!

Pussy Galore No 1 Oggwyn Trench's Avatar

£8.70 return for me , trouble is doesnt look like i can get the day off
    Theres a Man with a Mullet going Mad with a Mallet in Millets !

Wandering, or wondering, or wandering in.

I reckon I could make this, will be a good opportunity to meet a few of you. Just need to check that the boss isn't off that day.

For those travelling from the London area and looking for a bargain have a look at the Chilterns Railway website for London Marylebone to Birmingham Moor St / Snow Hill fares. If this works correctly * the link should take you straight through to a 'mixing deck' showing fares at £5 single both ways. There's an 09:50 train arriving 11:49. Getting back there are fewer £5 fares on offer but there are currently a couple just before 4pm and one at 18:12 arriving in London 20:40

* didn't work, so you'll have to put in the details yourselves.
    Last edited by Millay; 22-09-2010 at 15:16. Reason: checked web link
    I've just joined Alcoholics Anonymous - I still drink, just under a different name.

This Space For Hire gillhalfpint's Avatar

Don't know why I have just found this thread, but we can join in. Bartons Arms bus choices 33, 34, 51, 52 on the same road opposite pub.