Ads not shown when logged in
Page 2 of 26 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Pubs Galore Meet Up - Friday 12 November - Birmingham

good stuff, I will book my train tickets in a bit.

My knowledge of Brum is non-existent so will go with the flow.

However, I would like to go to the Wellington as it's one of those pubs I have heard a lot about and would like to check it out

I should mention that I don't want to go home with 12 pints of Banks Bitter inside me.

Quote Originally Posted by RogerB View Post
    I should mention that I don't want to go home with 12 pints of Banks Bitter inside me.
    I drink enough of that in Aberystwyth so I'm in total agreement!

Quote Originally Posted by rpadam View Post
    Anybody thinking of getting out to the Barton Arms, Aston (for building and beer) or the Bell, Harbourne (for location, mainly)?
    Barton Arms is bit of hike so get No 7 bus (Upper Bull Street) and drop off directly opposite Barton Arms.

White Horse in Harbourne is far better with around 10 real ales on sale. It was closed for refurb on my last visit (June) but should be open by now.
    J.D Wetherspoon = Home of Hoppy: The Silk Kite, Tamworth.. http://www.tamworthblog.co.uk/2009/0...-blogs-review/

Quote Originally Posted by Quinno View Post
    However, I would like to go to the Wellington as it's one of those pubs I have heard a lot about and would like to check it out
    You will not disappointed with Welly... Trust me
    J.D Wetherspoon = Home of Hoppy: The Silk Kite, Tamworth.. http://www.tamworthblog.co.uk/2009/0...-blogs-review/

I'll be there for at least part of the day, on my way back from Liverpool where I'll be on the Thursday.

I work in Brum. I have a crawl planned for the following day but I might book an afternoon off and join you for a few halves.

My pointer would be the Welly for beer choice, Barton's Arms for grandest pub (sorry, I have a big hang up when it comes to the Old Joint Stock) and Digbeth or Hockley as a place to crawl around.

Do we all have to write a review afterwards?
    Waes hael!

This Space For Hire aleandhearty's Avatar

Would love to come, but may be out of my league for a while. (Not working at present). Can anyone suggest where I can find the best discount train fares online? I've tried thetrainline.com, but it still seemed rather expensive, even when buying two singles. (The coach takes forever to get there so is not really an option.)
    'And where he supped the past lived still. And where he sipped the glass brimmed full' John Barleycorn, Carol Ann Duffy.

raileasy.co.uk is decent - however like all websites of that nature, I understand they are given a specific amount of tickets and once they're gone, they're gone.

to be honest, the best fares available are usually those from the bloke at the ticketing office on a quiet weekday afternoon a good fortnight before travelling (that's how it seems to work in Reading anyway!).

Quote Originally Posted by aleandhearty View Post
    Would love to come, but may be out of my league for a while. (Not working at present). Can anyone suggest where I can find the best discount train fares online? I've tried thetrainline.com, but it still seemed rather expensive, even when buying two singles. (The coach takes forever to get there so is not really an option.)
    I booked mine through the London Midland Railways site and got a ticket for £25 which I thought was a good deal. I have just tried a few sites for a Wakefield - Brum route and £36 was the cheapest I found which was also the London Midland Railways site - departs Wakey 12.24 (earlier trains are far more expensive), arr Brum 14.07 + return 19.03 arr back at Wakey 20.53 (£3 will buy you a couple of extra hours in the evening but most of us will have departed by then). http://tickets.londonmidland.com/lm/...ing/MixingDeck