Ads not shown when logged in
Page 9 of 26 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast

Thread: Pubs Galore Meet Up - Friday 12 November - Birmingham

The Welly isn't that big and can get very cramped at lunchtimes and after work. We're not in any rush so why not go in there after 2.00 before going further afield? There is no shortage of other places nearby (Bacchus, Old Joint Stock, Old Contemptibles) if you want to move on from the Briar Rose.
    Waes hael!

I'm in potatoland for a few days but fly back into East Midlands that Friday morning at 0900. I'll therefore probably be first on parade,I suppose around noon.

Still have to see if Gazebo can get a permission slip.

Quote Originally Posted by aleandhearty View Post
    Midday seems a bit hasty to start going walkabout. The day will inevitably fragment, but it would be nice to chat to people coming from far and wide before we start in earnest. What about 1p.m.? Perhaps we could nominate a pub as base camp and people drift in and out during the day?

Regarding the Wellington at 6.30 on a Friday: Would we get through the door? I've heard it's quite small.
    Fair point. I guess the day is a split between meeting other PuGers and the more adventurous attempting to drink in as many pubs on a list as possible (not looking at Trainman there!).

My main concerns are that

a) we can all find each other and that no-one gets left behind/accidentally left out
    b) that those of us who have never set foot in Birmingham outside BNS or Digbeth bus station will be able to get their correct train back. I have no clue as to how far away things are from pub X (more so if a few pints to the wind).

This Space For Hire gillhalfpint's Avatar

The Anchor has a room down the coridor leading to the toilets which may be a good place to meet up before setting out as I don't think I have ever seen anyone in there! They use it for stillages when they have a big fest on.

Because I can visit any of these pubs at any time, I don't want to have an input as such as to where to go. Will follow your own pub hit lists.

What I fancy doing though is going round the city centre pubs this afternoon, and see how many handpulls they have and what beers are available on them to get an idea of what can be expected from the pubs.

Get bored at home anyway so it will make an interesting afternoon.

Had a great afternoon. Went to Pub du Vin, Old Contemptables, Old Royal, Edmunds, Metro Bar, Prince of Wales, Canalside, Old Fox, Spotted Dog - closed, White Swan, Anchor and Lamp Tavern.

Had the following beers:
    Kinver Brewdems 4.0, Purity UBU 4.5, Salopian Darwin's Origin 4.3, Marstons EPA 3.8, Millstone Square Peg 4.3, Silhill 4.0 Per Cent 4.0 (in the Metro bar that suprised me), Purity Mad Goose 4.4, Brains Bitter 3.7 , Kelham Island Are you lonesome tonight 3.8, Gargoyles Stout 4.2, Gargoyles Bitter 4.2 (not impressed but not sure if it was brewery or pub), Ringwood, Tetleys Headless Huntsman, Elland Bark at the Moon, Grafton Encore, Thorne Peel Hill.

A good day out from about 1.30 till 6.30 but we were not rushing round and did eat in Old Contemptables. Wanted to do GBG pubs we don't get to very often plus one or two others I had not been to before, which is why I left out the Welly, Old Joint Stock and Briar Rose. Had 7 in the Wellington last night! . We finished with the Anchor and Lamp as they are on the way back to our bus stop.

All beer great apart from the Gargoyles. Not saying which pub as it may have been a midweek thing but we did return one and the next was not much better- poor for a GBG pub.
    Last edited by gillhalfpint; 20-10-2010 at 20:40.

Quote Originally Posted by gillhalfpint View Post
    Had "7" in the Wellington last night! . We finished with the Anchor and Lamp as they are on the way back to our bus stop.
    7 Pints???????????

And there was I thinking after seeing you at Notts that you were a lady. Did you go to the bus stop by wheel barrow??!!

Quote Originally Posted by an_ecumenical_matter View Post
    7 Pints???????????
    halves, shurely?

As we all have our own ways of working, we had 7 halves. I do count numbers in different beers so 7 different beers in the welly.

Cheating maybe, but we do share the drinks, so often just have a quarter of each beer. Depends what is on and whether there are a lot of new beers to try.

Quote Originally Posted by gillhalfpint View Post
    As we all have our own ways of working, we had 7 halves. I do count numbers in different beers so 7 different beers in the welly.

Cheating maybe, but we do share the drinks, so often just have a quarter of each beer. Depends what is on and whether there are a lot of new beers to try.
    Phew - I was worried Roger might have competition!