Ads not shown when logged in
Page 8 of 26 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast

Thread: Pubs Galore Meet Up - Friday 12 November - Birmingham

Wandering, or wondering, or wandering in.

Agreed the day off work and just booked my train tickets. Arriving New Street 11:45 and returning on the 20:10 Virgin train - probably the same train as RogerB so I’m hoping he’ll wake me up at Watford. £17 for the train and I’ve added the PLUSBUS option at £2.20 in case we decide to explore further afield.

Don’t really know much outside of the Briar Rose, Wellington, Joint Stock and Prince of Wales so will rely on others, there seem to be enough recommendations for a good day.
    I've just joined Alcoholics Anonymous - I still drink, just under a different name.

We're not really 'ere! trainman's Avatar

That's 4 of us, so far, booked on the 20:10 - I tried to reserve a table but got airline. Chances of grabbing an unreserved table to continue drunken chat on return? - yep, none!
    Since my unsaved crawl suggestions were probably inaccessible to others on my earlier 'these are those I'd like to include' post, I've saved my skeletal 8 here http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/crawl/vi....php?crawl=685 . Those, plus a couple of jokers, would get me to a sufficiently somnolent state as to preclude any train chat anyway!
    Appendix notes to the above are in comment #37 of this thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Millay View Post
    and I’ve added the PLUSBUS option at £2.20
    Something I often do, especially if travelling on groupsave, when the discount (eg 4 for 2) also applies to the bus tickets, In this instance I couldn't buy two train tickets with only one plusbus - my pal doesn't need one so he delights in missions requiring buses, when he can lord it with his freedom pass.

This Space For Hire aleandhearty's Avatar

Good news, dear hearts. A recent piece of good fortune has meant that I can now attend on the 12th. Will be arriving at New Street at 12.07 and leaving at 20.03. Looking forward to putting some faces to the names. We'll definitely have to sort out a 'team photo'.

P.S. Have already begun chanting the mantra 'Don't get into rounds with Roger...Don't get into....'
    'And where he supped the past lived still. And where he sipped the glass brimmed full' John Barleycorn, Carol Ann Duffy.

Former Pubs Galore Coder

Quote Originally Posted by trainman View Post
    That's 4 of us, so far, booked on the 20:10 - I tried to reserve a table but got airline. Chances of grabbing an unreserved table to continue drunken chat on return? - yep, none!
    Since my unsaved crawl suggestions were probably inaccessible to others on my earlier 'these are those I'd like to include' post, I've saved my skeletal 8 here http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/crawl/vi....php?crawl=685 . Those, plus a couple of jokers, would get me to a sufficiently somnolent state as to preclude any train chat anyway!
    Appendix notes to the above are in comment #37 of this thread.
    If you need to edit this just let me know and I will release deauthorise it back to you.

Quote Originally Posted by Conrad View Post
    If you need to edit this just let me know and I will release deauthorise it back to you.
    Thanks Conrad, that's currently my list of must-dos on the day and I mentioned a couple of reserves elsewhere which would fit in with the vague route, but it's promising to be a decent turn-out, so many opinions/amendments/additions may be proffered in the next 31(?) days...

Pussy Galore No 1 Oggwyn Trench's Avatar

Good news , looks like i can make it barring any last minute hitches , should get to New Street at 11.55 or 12 25 depending on which train i catch , return at 20 05 or 20 25
    Theres a Man with a Mullet going Mad with a Mallet in Millets !

My travel details: arriving BNS 11:18 and departing 20:03

So we need a central meeting point from BNS - if Roger is going to be at the Briar Rose early doors I guess that makes sense. Say we meet all-comers there until midday and then head off? (I think we might need to PM our phone numbers around in case of stragglers).

But the basics for most of us seem to be:

Arrive Birmingham New Street somewhere between 11-12

Leave BNS somewhere between 7:15-8:30pm.

So a final pub near the station would be beneficial too, as I guess minds and maps will be addled by that point and it's safety in numbers...Wellington to conclude at around 6:30pm?
    Last edited by Quinno; 18-10-2010 at 22:38.

A&H and myself will arrive NS at 12:07 and should be in the Briar Rose within 10 mins (?) Virgin permitting. Ogwyn says in #77 he could be at NS as late as 12:25, so if you go before we arrive, leave a note on the door please

This Space For Hire aleandhearty's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Quinno View Post
    Say we meet all-comers there until midday and then head off?....So a final pub near the station would be beneficial too, as I guess minds and maps will be addled by that point and it's safety in numbers...Wellington to conclude at around 6:30pm?
    Midday seems a bit hasty to start going walkabout. The day will inevitably fragment, but it would be nice to chat to people coming from far and wide before we start in earnest. What about 1p.m.? Perhaps we could nominate a pub as base camp and people drift in and out during the day?

Regarding the Wellington at 6.30 on a Friday: Would we get through the door? I've heard it's quite small.
    'And where he supped the past lived still. And where he sipped the glass brimmed full' John Barleycorn, Carol Ann Duffy.