Ads not shown when logged in
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Losing interest in pub crawls

Quote Originally Posted by Al 10000 View Post
    Hi Hopwas if you want a decent crawl in Nottingham and you are on train get a taxi to the Hawksley its not far from the middle of town next door is the Hand and Heart the house beer here is brewed by Full Mash of Stapleford after this ask in each pub for the next one on the list you will end up at the train station.

The Gatehouse modernish 5 real ales in locale scheme
    Dragon 3 real ales 2 usually from Adnams and 1 from Nottingham brewery
    Bell this is a GK house but has lots of micro beers on
    The Approach modern pub 4 real ales this week 2 from Blue Monkey
    Salutation about 10 pumps with micros on
    Royal Children 5 real ales some micros
    Canalhouse Castle Rock house 6 real ales not all from that brewery
    Fellows,Morton & Clayton 7 real ales usually 1 from Mallard brewery
    Vat and Fiddle Castle Rock house 12 pumps all Castle Rock beers plus micros

If you prefer to walk it would take about 15 mins to walk from the station to the Hawksley.

I hope this helps you get back into pub crawling i think you will enjoy all of these pubs.
    I have been to most of pubs you have mentioned as I lived in Derby for 5 years and I would often go to Nottingham on weekend or day off. However my last pub crawl in Nottingham was around 2004 with my late mate. 2004 Nottingham pub crawl is the still coldest pub crawl I ever been and it was hoovering above freezing point all day!

Now I am itching go back to Nottingham and check out pubs you have listed. Thanks very much for your help
    J.D Wetherspoon = Home of Hoppy: The Silk Kite, Tamworth.. http://www.tamworthblog.co.uk/2009/0...-blogs-review/

I'll stay on me own

Ime glad you liked that list but i have missed a new one out when you go in the Hand and Heart ask for the Roundhouse if you know Nottingham its in the old General Hospital building about 2 mins from Hand and Heart or Gatehouse,this pub has about 6 pumps and their house beer is brewed by Full Mash.
    If you hurry up it might not be as cold.

Quote Originally Posted by hopwas View Post
    it was hoovering above freezing point all day!
    And so it should be. You should never do your hoovering below freezing, it doesn't pick up the dirt as well as it should.
    A pub is for life not just for Christmas

We're not really 'ere! trainman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by hopwas View Post
    I am struggling to get motivated to start pub crawl again after long away from pub circuit.
    How can I get motivated again?
    I think you have to be more selective Hoppy. Apart from the 'spoons (number one fan & all that) you have to include recommended pubs, rather than those just en route. Let's face it, you've said here in the past that you've been to some shockers - enough to put many off. Circuit is a good word to describe the problem - avoid circuit pubs, and aim for the REAL thing!

I'll be in Nottingham mid-Oct, tho my list is closer to ROB's than Al's, who has several I've not been to - I'll have to ask my local spies, though I can't see myself relishing a visit to anywhere called 'Royal Children'! My definite additions outside the centre, but easily reachable, are Victoria (& resurgent Crown, apparently) in Beeston, and Plough, in Radford.

I'll stay on me own

I'll be in Nottingham mid-Oct, tho my list is closer to ROB's than Al's, who has several I've not been to - I'll have to ask my local spies, though I can't see myself relishing a visit to anywhere called 'Royal Children'! My definite additions outside the centre, but easily reachable, are Victoria (& resurgent Crown, apparently) in Beeston, and Plough, in Radford.[/QUOTE]

I'll stay on me own

Hi Trainman the Royal Children has always been called this and is not a trendy pub but it is a one room pub with 6 pumps on the bar there are usually beers from Belvoir and Thornbridge brewerys and one beer is always £2 a pint this pub is next to the Salutation.

The Crown in Beeston is now an Everards tied house run under the Project William idea from that brewery,there are about 12 pumps on the bar with 2 from Leatherbritches brewery at £2 a pint in my opinion this pub is well worth a visit.

This Space For Hire gillhalfpint's Avatar

We will be in Arnold, Nottingham from 10th Oct for a week to take in the beer festival for a few days as well as the pubs a day or two before the fest starts. Usually aim for the GBG pubs, but recognise a few names on your lists as well.

I am glad to announce that I am very excited to get back on pub crawling.

Only thing get in my way is weather.. I'll keep eye on it.
    J.D Wetherspoon = Home of Hoppy: The Silk Kite, Tamworth.. http://www.tamworthblog.co.uk/2009/0...-blogs-review/

I'll stay on me own

Quote Originally Posted by gillhalfpint View Post
    We will be in Arnold, Nottingham from 10th Oct for a week to take in the beer festival for a few days as well as the pubs a day or two before the fest starts. Usually aim for the GBG pubs, but recognise a few names on your lists as well.

Hi Gillhalfpint there are about 10 pubs doing mini festivals while the Nottingham beer festival is on,i saw a poster in the Approach yesterday listing these pubs these are the ones i can remember.

Sir John Borlace Warren
    Hand and Heart
    The Roundhouse
    The Gatehouse
    The Approach
    Keanes Head
    News House
    Canal House

There are a few more pubs on the poster but these are the ones i can remember,i hope this helps you get a decent drink in Nottingham.

This Space For Hire gillhalfpint's Avatar

Have a heart - I only have a week, but what a week it will be!