Ads not shown when logged in
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: TVs (that's televisions) in pubs

Official PG MILD tester Soup Dragon's Avatar

Default TVs (that's televisions) in pubs

Now that Sky Sports News has gone from Freeview, i have noticed that lots of pubs no longer have it on their TVs - and in fact has robbed me of an almost staple line i had in my reviews (and there is a TV, which was showing Sky Sports News at my visit).

This has began to scare me a little, as there is nothing worse than going in a pub and finding a soap or reality TV programme on (my personal view, of course). Mostly it seems to have given over to news channels, but recently i had to endure 'Three Men and a Baby' whilst i swiftly drank a half.

I am not asking here what YOU would like to see on TV instead, as i think most of us would want them swithced off, but what you think other PGs may want to see (in a jokey way)

EG and to start the ball rolling (if you wish to join in)

I can guess that Staaly would like to see endless Dr Who re-runs on instead, or re-runs of Teachers!

Trainman - Michael Portillo's Great Railway Journeys

Gill may want Carry on Camping

Bucking F - The Onedin Line, or Triangle!

Eddie86 - Early Doors

Conrad n Dave - Two pints of Lager and a Packet of Crisps

ROBCamra - Endless repetitive Man Utd stuff - oh! that would be Sky Sports News I think you may put on 'It Aint Half Hot Mum' if i was with you!

Strongers - Bullseye (can't beat a bit of Bully!)
    MILD:

Given the state of your belly, Soupy, I would have thought that Three Men and a Baby would be quite apt!

Or something from the Open University about numismatics, presented by a beardy gentleman in a brown pullover and chords that can only be shown usually at 3:00 in the morning.

I'll state the obvious.

Soupy - The Clangers

Me - Only Fools and Horses - Lovely Jubbly

Arwkrite - Open All Hours - G g g g g granville !!
    Last edited by Delboy20; 05-09-2010 at 20:33. Reason: Thought of another !!

I am a salmon !!

Pussy Galore No 1 Oggwyn Trench's Avatar

I was in a bar a few weeks ago that was showing Pole Dancing on the many TVs dotted around , i quite enjoyed them , Mrs not so happy
    Theres a Man with a Mullet going Mad with a Mallet in Millets !

There is a program on Food TV that worships the great American Diner. Everything is deep fried, heavy in fat, high in calories and is shown being eaten by people twice a large as me. In other words, after a pint or two, highly munchable. Portions are so big your beer consumption should drop considerably.I feel like a voyeur, watching people eating their way to a heart attack. This program frightens me. Macs and B.K are health food palaces compared with the great American Diner.
    I would have thought any pub showing this program would increase its junk food output by a big margin. You do not even have to have the volume turned up.It would be better than watching MTV while a separate sound track is playing.

Otherwise, what about Australian Aerobics. Plenty of Fit Birds there and not so obvious as pole dancing.

I think Sky's decision to remove Sky Sports News from Freeview will see the death of TV usage in a lot of pubs. It was virtually the default channel for many and the source of numerous pub conversations as the results, league tables and news tickers merrily winged their way across the screen.

Quote Originally Posted by RogerB View Post
    I think Sky's decision to remove Sky Sports News from Freeview will see the death of TV usage in a lot of pubs. It was virtually the default channel for many and the source of numerous pub conversations as the results, league tables and news tickers merrily winged their way across the screen.
    Indeed, though I won't miss people's eyes drifting up towards the screen intermittently when I'm trying to have a conversation with them!
    Last edited by Quinno; 06-09-2010 at 12:38.

They used to show Gillette Soccer Saturday on Sky Sports 1 and Sky News, but since they have been told to allow other broadcasters to show Sky Sports 1 and 2 they only now show it on Sky News.
    WE ARE THE BREADMEN - UP THE BEES

Just had a thought. Is it possible that successful pub cos could organise their own TV station ? Such as those gormless radio stations you find in supemarkets. Perish the thought.

Quote Originally Posted by arwkrite View Post
    Just had a thought. Is it possible that successful pub cos could organise their own TV station ? Such as those gormless radio stations you find in supemarkets. Perish the thought.
    Oh dear, I can picture some bright PubCo executive who just happened to stumble across this thread and is at this minute rushing off to Tim Martins office with a great new idea in the hope of getting a promotion.

JDWTV will probably be coming soon. At least we'll all know who to blame.