Ads not shown when logged in
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: What makes a good pub website?

Official PG MILD tester Soup Dragon's Avatar

Hi PG chaps

Couple more things have come to mind -

can you give more space to recent recommendations? (you can cut the part you show to a few lines)

yes, more than three scales of posting levels are required i think and 100 as tops will be too low - sadly, i think you will end up still with more generic terms, but will have a think

Quote Originally Posted by Historian View Post
    Hi PG chaps

Couple more things have come to mind -

can you give more space to recent recommendations? (you can cut the part you show to a few lines)
    Are you thinking in terms of showing more than just the latest two? It is a good point, when we originally introduced that we were probably only getting about two a day!

Quote Originally Posted by Dave M View Post
    Are you thinking in terms of showing more than just the latest two? It is a good point, when we originally introduced that we were probably only getting about two a day!
    yes, mate - i have done all the ones i want to transfer over, which means i still have loads i want to redo - as originally they were a few lines - a lot of local pubs - accordingly, it looks like i havent done all the cheslyn hay pubs - which of course i have and just to make sure, i am meeting an old mate on sunday in three of them! Essington tonight!

Ok I will have a chat with Conrad about that recommendations stuff next week.

Sounds like you have a good weekend lined up - and all to help potential visitors to the West Midlands decide where to have a drink. Your dedication to the cause is admirable!

Watch your language, Squire - Staffordshire

I start on the West Mids next week!

Another thought - on the maps - what chance of having the ability to scroll the map, up down, left, right etc - at the moment you have to click on another pub closer to the edge of the map in the direction you want to go?

Oooops. Apologies for that, clearly I meant to say Staffordshire. <cough>

I believe you can scroll the maps around. If you click and hold the mouse somewhere on the map (but not on a pub marker) you can then drag the map around as much as you like.

Oooooh! you live and learn, Sonny Jim!

cheers

I guess we need to make it clearer that it's possible to do that.

Good job you asked about it!

Former Pubs Galore Coder

Default Recommendations shown and Maps (Suggestions)

Just to move a couple of the suggestions into new threads.

Historian asked about showing more recommendations. If I am understanding this you are asking for more than 2 recommendations to be shown on the Home page, County page & Town page?

We have currently constrained it to 2 reviews as it is meant to be a taster of the pages, then you drill down for more information, the risk I think is that if you show too many of the reviews then the casual user doesn't realise if you scroll down you see more information on other things.

Changing it is fairly easy (I change a number in code) and could be done in minutes, so not really any effort on my part, can you let me know how it helps though? So that I can make sure it is appropriate.

Also the suggestion about arrows on the map. From memory they are quite easy to add, and I will give that some thought. My old issue is that the map is so small any more clutter is just clutter, but on the other hand clearly it needs more sign-posting. When the maps are redone we will make them bigger as we now have more of the screen to play with on the new design.

Conrad

Yes, mate - also, a regular could submit 25 reviews one after the other, but only one would appear - the other review seems to have to belong to a different reviewer - am i right?