Ads not shown when logged in
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Edinburgh.

Waterborne Beer Inspector Bucking Fastard's Avatar

Default Edinburgh.

I'm planning my first ever trip to this fine city in mid November and wanted to tap the Pubsgalore brains trust for the must visit pubs and bars.I've got 3 nights but would want to concentrate on the city and near suburbs rather than engage in a lot of public transport to neighbouring towns.Heritage and decent ale is a powerful combination and normally top of my list !

Many thanks in anticipation.
    "Good people drink good beer" Hunter S Thompson

Quote Originally Posted by Bucking Fastard View Post
    I'm planning my first ever trip to this fine city in mid November and wanted to tap the Pubsgalore brains trust for the must visit pubs and bars.I've got 3 nights but would want to concentrate on the city and near suburbs rather than engage in a lot of public transport to neighbouring towns.Heritage and decent ale is a powerful combination and normally top of my list !
    Well, where to begin? A few of my favourites - I'm sure others will have theirs.

Volunteer Arms (The Canny Man's) Don't miss this gorgeous pub in Morningside.

John Leslie (Leslie's Bar) Another beautiful pub, this one in Newington.

Halfway House Handy for Waverley station but very small so can easily get crowded.

Mathers Bar Queensferry Street in the West End. Proper locals bar and not up itself like the nearby Teuchters and Voyage of Buck.

Thomson's Bar Another unpretentious bar, this one in the Haymarket area.

The Abbotsford Best of the pubs along Rose Street, in my opinion. (Most of the others are food led and touristy.) Good beer and excellent service. Beautiful central bar counter.

The Oxford Bar Young Street in the New Town. (When I was here last, the owner was saying she hadn't had any compensation for having to close during the pandemic, but WhatPub seems to say it's still open so she must have got it sorted.) A must visit if you've read the Rebus stories by Ian Rankin; maybe don't bother if you haven't.
    Come On You Hatters!

We're not really 'ere! trainman's Avatar

What is it with pubs around here called the Volunteers, having another name? I really enjoyed the Staggs (Volunteer Arms) after a pleasant ~30min bus journey to Musselburgh.
    I concur with Will, very impressed sitting at the bar at the Abbotsford thinking how aesthetically lovely the pub was, and a decent pint.
    Jonesey is a Rebus fan, so we had to tick the Oxford, underwhelming would be the kindest way I could describe it.
    I am indebted to ROBCamra for warning me that the 'high dispense'(?) system up there was actually real ale - I would have struggled without this key information!
    It rained for the 36 hours we were there, from light to deluge (and I'm from Manchester!), but very much enjoyed the visit and a return is so long overdue.

"Do I know where hell is? hell is in hello"

Quote Originally Posted by hondo View Post
    One of my locals when I lived in Edinburgh, cracking pub,

If you go downs to Leith try Teuchters Landing, Malt & Hops, Carriers Quarters and Starbank Inn, although the latter is closer to Granton.
    Last edited by ROBCamra; 27-09-2022 at 18:58.
    A pub is for life not just for Christmas

I'll stay on me own

There are indeed so many. You’ll love Edinburgh, it’s a great city.

Obviously being a cider drinker I’m not the best person to advise on the beer range, but architecturally at least, The Guildford Arms seems to be the obvious one that’s been missed. I also thought a couple of the Wetherspoon’s were quite impressive, The Standing Order (JD Wetherspoon) and The Caley Picture House (JD Wetherspoon)

I also quite liked Brewhemia although it’s big, bold, brash and full of German beer so it may not be for you. There’s also a few Nicholson’s around if you like them such as Deacon Brodies Tavern although one could argue it’s bit touristy. Blue Blazer is definitely worth a look too. The Bow Bar is very traditional, although I’d avoid it on a weekend. And Ryries Bar in Haymarket is very good.

I’m sure I’ll think of some more.
    Last edited by Blackthorn; 18-09-2022 at 09:13.

There's loads to do in the city itself, it'd take you a good couple of days just to do the centre justice really. There's plenty outside town as well. Leith in itself is a decent day out.

Your interiors with good beer;
    Bennets Bar (a must visit)
    The Bow Bar (a must visit - but time it at a quiet period)
    The Cafe Royal Bar (a must visit)
    Deacon Brodies Tavern
    The Guildford Arms

Good beer
    Blue Blazer
    Halfway House (small)
    Jolly Judge (small)
    Kays Bar (a must visit)
    Thomson's Bar

Interiors (where beer not available or not that great)
    Barony
    The Grosvenor
    Henry Hall's Carriers Quarters (I was underwhelmed by the NI listing)
    Mathers Bar
    The Waverley

An impressive Spoons
    The Caley Picture House (JD Wetherspoon)

Tourist tick boxes
    Greyfriars Bobby
    The Oxford Bar (Rebus. Small, time your visit)
    Last edited by Quinno; 19-09-2022 at 22:37.

I spent a week up there a couple of months ago... Let me know if you want an extensive list of crap pubs and bars to avoid
    WE ARE THE BREADMEN - UP THE BEES

Quote Originally Posted by Strongers View Post
    I spent a week up there a couple of months ago... Let me know if you want an extensive list of crap pubs and bars to avoid
    Quinno accused me of not liking the vast majority of the pubs I visit, but I don't have anything like your talent for finding yourself in a wrong 'un!
    Come On You Hatters!

Waterborne Beer Inspector Bucking Fastard's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Strongers View Post
    I have some whisky loving locals in tow who may want to divert me from decent ale pubs,so I may call on your extensive knowledge to counter their dubious selections .
    "Good people drink good beer" Hunter S Thompson