Visit the Cooking Lager site

I do like to follow developments in the minimum pricing debate, even if the arguments made tend to be repetitive and dull. One news story got me a thinking. You can read it here.

Local minimum pricing. Umm. Isn't the flaw obvious? People have cars and if some people are prepared to hop onto a ferry and go to France for some cheap grog, driving to the next town will not be an issue.

Have no fear, if no one else does it, I will. That is knock up a website where you can stick your postcode in and find out where the nearest cheap grog shop is. I promise.

If the supermarkets don't get in on the act, there might even be market for big warehouse booze shops dotted about. All depends if Tesco have the guts to open one or not. Guts to ignore the moral minority. If they don't someone will.

It only has to be outside "state lines" to be legal. Time to watch Smokey and the Bandit, maybe for tips on transporting cheap lager across state lines.

Would I open a warehouse grog shop? It means running a business and working. There may be an opportunity to buy land previously fairly worthless that has scope to gain value when it's use as a cheap grog shop becomes apparent. Why sit and be a wage slave when there's an easy quid to be made?

This is one element of the minimum price debate worth following, idiot politicians distorting the market. I follow it avidly.

Pictures? A dedicated cheap grog shop in Germany, to guide us towards the future. They may not have minimum pricing, but their "offies" are a tad more impressive than our local Threshers.

More...