Ads not shown when logged in
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Buxton

Default Buxton

Booked a few nights in Buxton in October. Any tips??

I am a salmon !!

Quote Originally Posted by Delboy20 View Post
    Booked a few nights in Buxton in October. Any tips??
    Top tip: don't!

But it's too late for that, so just a few recent experiences:

53º @ Buxton Tap House Doesn't really float my boat. Service is good, the food may well be good but I'm not really into pub food. Beer very largely not to my taste and mostly keg.

RedWillow Pretty good beer-wise but I wouldn't want to have more than one drink in here as it's not very pub-like.

The Old Sun Inn Nice old pub that's been buggered about by Marstons, with bits of fakery everywhere you look. And loud music.

Cheshire Cheese Titanic/Project William pub, which used to be pretty good. I haven't written a new review, but when I was here last year they had too many beers on and weren't getting enough trade to turn it over, so the quality was dropping. Be prepared to change your beer until you get one that's ok.

The Swan Opposite problem, that trade has been dropping for years - possibly due to competition from the Titanic pub across the road - and now they're down to one beer, maybe two. Always seems to be a Storm beer (local-ish brewery) which may not always tickle your taste buds.

The Ale Stop Three or last time I was there four beers on, and often some interesting ones too, and music can be good. Tends to be dominated by customers who bring their smelly dogs in to lie around on the floor tripping people up and stinking the place out. But if you like dogs...

There are other pubs...

...or catch a bus to Leek! But the last bus back is around 5pm and it's a long walk.
    Come On You Hatters!

Sorry about my rather negative post - I guess I was more upset by yesterday's news than I realised. My daughter, who lives a few miles outside Buxton, sent me a photo of the freezer cabinets at the Tesco there, where every single pack of chips has been sold! Calamity.

Perhaps my take on the Buxton pubs is a case of "familiarity breeds contempt" - a cliche, of course, but there's some truth in it. That's how phrases become cliched!

I hope you find something better from your visit to Buxton.
    Come On You Hatters!

This Space For Hire

Quote Originally Posted by sheffield hatter View Post
    Sorry about my rather negative post - I guess I was more upset by yesterday's news than I realised. My daughter, who lives a few miles outside Buxton, sent me a photo of the freezer cabinets at the Tesco there, where every single pack of chips has been sold! Calamity.

Perhaps my take on the Buxton pubs is a case of "familiarity breeds contempt" - a cliche, of course, but there's some truth in it. That's how phrases become cliched!

Any recommendations for the line through to Stockport? It's a nice little scenic route but never stopped anywhere midway myself.

Wow. You were in a bad mood mate! I'm staying at the "Servants Quarters" right by a row of 11 pubs and I will pop in them all. I hope i enjoy it more than you did

I know what you mean with "familiarity breeds contempt" but when you live in https://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/areas/c...west-midlands/ Buxton looks like pub heaven to me !!!

I am a salmon !!

Whilst Will does appear to have been a bit grumpy when writing his post, Buxton could/should be a lot better than it is.

We didn't mind 53º but the almost next door Buxton Brewery Cellar is rather better.

We both liked Ale Stop and the rather boisterous banter along with the Swan & Cheshire Cheese both of whom had well kept beer.

Redwillow was somewhat up it's own arse.

I rather liked Blazing Rag not one for the ticker, but a really friendly locals local.

Your digs are in the perfect spot for the upper end of Buxton. but quite a walk from the JDW and the other end of town.

Enjoy.
    A pub is for life not just for Christmas

Quote Originally Posted by ROBCamra View Post
    Whilst Will does appear to have been a bit grumpy when writing his post, Buxton could/should be a lot better than it is.
    "Buxton could/should be a lot better than it is." That's what I meant to write!

Quote Originally Posted by ROBCamra View Post
    I rather liked Blazing Rag not one for the ticker, but a really friendly locals local.
    It's nearly 20 years since I was there. Must give it a try next time I'm in Buxton.
    Last edited by sheffield hatter; 11-09-2022 at 20:21.
    Come On You Hatters!

I'm staying at the "Servants Quarters" right by a row of 11 pubs and I will pop in them all. I hope i enjoy it more than you did
    I hope so too! Let us know how you get on.
    Come On You Hatters!

I hope so too! Let us know how you get on.
    Will do. The football fixture gods have moved the Villa match to the Monday night (10'th October)

Which pub is the best bet to watch it on Sky?

Amazingly the 10th is actually my birthday and the reason for the short break so a win please Villa!!!!

I am a salmon !!

The football fixture gods have moved the Villa match to the Monday night (10'th October)

Which pub is the best bet to watch it on Sky?
    I'd probably go for the Kings Head or Queens Head Hotel. Both handy for your lodgings, both have live TV sports according to a well-known UK pub guide.

Amazingly the 10th is actually my birthday and the reason for the short break so a win please Villa!!!!
    Come On You Hatters!