Ads not shown when logged in
Page 2 of 17 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Pubs Galore Autumn 2022 Midlands Pub Crawl.

Default Lichfield & Tamworth

I think I mentioned somewhere in one of these threads that Lichfield and Tamworth would make a good double header. I've not been to Lichfield for quite a few years, and then we went because Luton Town had a game in Tamworth but we wanted to try some different pubs. Since then, Tamworth has improved a bit, and the transport links between the towns are pretty easy.
    Come On You Hatters!

Quote Originally Posted by sheffield hatter View Post

Also the thing about Lincoln is that it's on the same latitude as Sheffield*, and therefore in the North! #geographygalore!
    I'm going to have to agree with that, looking on the map I didn't realise Lincokn was so far up.
    "Everybody's got to believe in something. I believe I'll have another beer."
    -W.C.Fields

Quote Originally Posted by Bucking Fastard View Post
    An idea from me would be Burton upon Trent. There are six 2022 GBG listed pubs,besides which there are 3 other micro pubs,a micro brewery tap and the bar at the National Brewery Centre. So lots of options,and many other traditional pubs that may be off piste targets too.
    Yes, Burton works well and is relatively easy to get to, being placed almost midway between Tamworth on the west coast main line and Derby on the east.

I did a crawl there with the Beer & Pubs Forum people just before the first Covid lockdown. The actual itinerary is a little difficult to discern amid all the discussion, some parts of which are a little less pertinent than others, but this is my list of pubs actually visited by me on the day, in chronological order:

Devonshire Arms
    Brews of the World (was keg only but now has cask too)
    Anchor
    Burton Bridge Inn
    Elms
    Barley Mow
    Dog
    Leopard
    Coopers Tavern
    Roebuck
    Weighbridge

One or two of my choices were spur-of-the-moment wild cards, and I'm sure we can do better with a bit more planning. Some of the crawl went to the Derby Inn, which has since closed down, and had lunch at the National Brewery Centre. On the plus side, the Royal Oak in the town centre has changed hands and acquired a reputation for cask beer. We missed the Last Heretic and the Fuggle & Nugget (now Beeropolis) mostly because of a prediliction for "proper pubs", but also because of opening times not being conducive. (I went to the Weighbridge after everyone else had caught their trains, if I recall correctly - it's another late opener.)

Edit: I've just seen this on the Weighbridge's Facebook page: a list of pubs on the Burton Ale Trail at the beginning of September. One or two of them might be a little bit too much of a walk for some (Alfred, Burton Town Brewery), but as there are 15 pubs listed, a little trimming wouldn't go amiss.
    Last edited by sheffield hatter; 31-07-2022 at 13:35.
    Come On You Hatters!

Yes, Burton works well and is relatively easy to get to, being placed almost midway between Tamworth on the west coast main line and Derby on the east.

I did a crawl there with the Beer & Pubs Forum people just before the first Covid lockdown. The actual itinerary is a little difficult to discern amid all the discussion, some parts of which are a little less pertinent than others, but this is my list of pubs actually visited by me on the day, in chronological order:

Devonshire Arms
    Anchor
    Burton Bridge Inn
    Elms
    Barley Mow
    Dog
    Leopard
    Coopers Tavern
    Roebuck
    Weighbridge

One or two of my choices were spur-of-the-moment wild cards, and I'm sure we can do better with a bit more planning. Some of the crawl went to the Derby Inn, which has since closed down, and had lunch at the National Brewery Centre. On the plus side, the Royal Oak in the town centre has changed hands and acquired a reputation for cask beer. We missed the Last Heretic and the Fuggle & Nugget (now Beeropolis) mostly because of a prediliction for "proper pubs", but also because of opening times not being conducive. (I went to the Weighbridge after everyone else had caught their trains, if I recall correctly - it's another late opener.)

Edit: I've just seen this on the Weighbridge's Facebook page: a list of pubs on the Burton Ale Trail at the beginning of September. One or two of them might be a little bit too much of a walk for some (Alfred, Burton Town Brewery), but as there are 15 pubs listed, a little trimming wouldn't go amiss.
    When I visited The Last Heretic it was open at 11.00 am, it was a Saturday( on my way back from Sheffield as it Happens) and I think also due to the fact Burton were playing at home that day, nontheless it was very optune.
    -W.C.Fields

Waterborne Beer Inspector Bucking Fastard's Avatar

Devonshire Arms
    Anchor
    Burton Bridge Inn
    Elms
    Barley Mow
    Dog
    Leopard
    Coopers Tavern
    Roebuck
    Weighbridge

That's quality research and a very extensive crawl.Sounds like you had a good day.
    "Good people drink good beer" Hunter S Thompson

This Space For Hire

Quote Originally Posted by Mobyduck View Post
    Don't see why not but I would seperate it as an added extra and not affecting the normal North ,South , Midlands routine.
    I think the idea was that it would be a Brucie Bonus.

Wasn't Steve Gann going to work out a route, or have I got that confused with something else?
    Yes. I think he put together a route around E postcodes, which are largely a mystery to me outside Hackney or Tower Hamlets, which weren't Aqualung's natural habitat.
    Last edited by Tris39; 31-07-2022 at 17:53.

Quote Originally Posted by Bucking Fastard View Post
    An idea from me would be Burton upon Trent. There are six 2022 GBG listed pubs,besides which there are 3 other micro pubs,a micro brewery tap and the bar at the National Brewery Centre. So lots of options,and many other traditional pubs that may be off piste targets too.
    I had previously suggested Burton too, so I'm definitely up for that.

This Space For Hire

Quote Originally Posted by rpadam View Post
    I had previously suggested Burton too, so I'm definitely up for that.
    I'm very surprised that we haven't gone for a Burton, given the town's illustrious brewing history.

I've no problem with Burton, but quite a few of us have been before, judging by past reviews.
    A pub is for life not just for Christmas

Peterborough ?
    -W.C.Fields