Ads not shown when logged in
Page 1 of 17 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Pubs Galore Autumn 2022 Midlands Pub Crawl.

Waterborne Beer Inspector Bucking Fastard's Avatar

Default Pubs Galore Autumn 2022 Midlands Pub Crawl.

We normally have a pub crawl in October,so I thought it worthwhile to start the conversation about where in " The Midlands" this should take place.I don't want to stir up the Geography Galore debate ,but where do people fancy going ?

I'm sure we will come up with a long list on which we can vote.The choice of venue may also help inform the Friday/Saturday decision on which a seperate vote for the date will then take place.

An idea from me would be Burton upon Trent. There are six 2022 GBG listed pubs,besides which there are 3 other micro pubs,a micro brewery tap and the bar at the National Brewery Centre. So lots of options,and many other traditional pubs that may be off piste targets too.

Any other suggestions ?
    "Good people drink good beer" Hunter S Thompson

Burton is a good shout.

Stoke's also a decent proposition; though somewhat more spread-out. Would Kings Lynn count as South or Midlands?

I think there was a list somewhere of all the places PuG trips have done, anyone able to locate it?
    Last edited by Quinno; 30-07-2022 at 11:41.

Quote Originally Posted by Quinno View Post
    I think there was a list somewhere of all the places PuG trips have done, anyone able to locate it?
    http://forums.pubsgalore.co.uk/showt...-of-PuG-crawls

Stoke's also a decent proposition; though somewhat more spread-out.
    That's an interesting call.Unless there is some hugely knowledgeable PuGer about buses in SoT,maybe we would need to hire a minivan and driver to get around the pubs in the town of Stoke,Longton,Hanley,Etruria and Burslem. Some historic pubs,top boozers and great ale awaits. (I have discounted Newcastle under Lyme as that was tackled quite recently.)

This Space For Hire

Would Kings Lynn count as South or Midlands?
    East of England and may be very tricky for some to reach.

Quote Originally Posted by Bucking Fastard View Post
    https://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/24449/ counted as a 'crawl'. I suppose the bar alone could count as one.

Are we still doing the Aqualung Walthamstow Beer Mile Memorial Crawl?

Quote Originally Posted by Tris39 View Post

Don't see why not but I would seperate it as an added extra and not affecting the normal North ,South , Midlands routine.
    "Everybody's got to believe in something. I believe I'll have another beer."
    -W.C.Fields

Quote Originally Posted by Bucking Fastard View Post
    We normally have a pub crawl in October,so I thought it worthwhile to start the conversation about where in " The Midlands" this should take place.I don't want to stir up the Geography Galore debate ,but where do people fancy going ?

I'm sure we will come up with a long list on which we can vote.The choice of venue may also help inform the Friday/Saturday decision on which a seperate vote for the date will then take place.

An idea from me would be Burton upon Trent. There are six 2022 GBG listed pubs,besides which there are 3 other micro pubs,a micro brewery tap and the bar at the National Brewery Centre. So lots of options,and many other traditional pubs that may be off piste targets too.

Any other suggestions ?
    I have little midlands experience outside of Brum, Leicester and Rugby, Burton is a decent shout (I've done four pubs there and none were too shabby), I did raise the possibilty of Lincoln with Nev last night in the Nags, but have no real solid grounding on whether it's up to it or not.
    "Everybody's got to believe in something. I believe I'll have another beer."
    -W.C.Fields

Quote Originally Posted by Mobyduck View Post
    I have little midlands experience outside of Brum, Leicester and Rugby, Burton is a decent shout (I've done four pubs there and none were too shabby), I did raise the possibilty of Lincoln with Nev last night in the Nags, but have no real solid grounding on whether it's up to it or not.
    Lincoln is like two towns, the hilly one and the flat one. I haven't looked into the buses, but when I was there earlier this year we got a bus out to this one, and the route took us past Lincoln cathedral. (The bus station is opposite the railway station and in the flat, low-lying part of town; the cathedral is on top of the hill.) There are probably other buses that do the same. If we go for Lincoln, Plus Bus tickets are advisable for those who don't yet qualify for free bus travel.

I used to go to Lincoln quite often with a group who all worked in the same office in the mid-00s, but some of the pubs we went to then have closed (Tap & Spile, Green Dragon) or have suffered a loss of quality in the real ales (Treaty of Commerce), or have changed hands or name or focus and are therefore somewhat unknown quantities now (Jolly Brewer,, Strugglers).

Of course the other side of the coin is that there are new pubs: BeerHeadZ, Tiny Tavern and Imp & Angel.

Also the thing about Lincoln is that it's on the same latitude as Sheffield*, and therefore in the North! #geographygalore!

*not to mention Salford and Liverpool.
    Last edited by sheffield hatter; 30-07-2022 at 22:58.
    Come On You Hatters!

Quote Originally Posted by Tris39 View Post
    Wasn't Steve Gann going to work out a route, or have I got that confused with something else?
    Come On You Hatters!

Stoke's also a decent proposition; though somewhat more spread-out.
    I've mentioned a Stoke crawl I'm doing soon - looks likely to be Friday, 2nd September - on this thread on Beer & Pubs Forum. It doesn't aim to be comprehensive or "the best of the Five Towns", just a list of (hopefully current but quite possibly former) Bass pubs in a reasonably tight area - basically Hanley and Northwood, to the NE of the station. (If only we had access to a crawl map app, I could demonstrate how tight the circuit is.) Here's a Google maps attempt, in two parts (because there's a maximum of stopping points which is lower than my 13 pubs) and shown as all walking, because I don't think you can mix buses and walking in one map.

Part One
    Part Two
    Come On You Hatters!