Ads not shown when logged in
Page 6 of 24 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast

Thread: Your favourite......

Former Pubs Galore Coder

Hi arwkrite,

Thanks for the introduction. I am interested that you mention wheelchair access. Should we be allowing some sort of indicator against the pubs that they are wheelchair friendly?

We have noticed it is something that Philip Carter often comments on as well, and have previously wondered about this.

Cheers

Conrad

Official PG MILD tester Soup Dragon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by arwkrite View Post
    Also mild if Historian is buying.
    What, on an archivist's wage?

Former Pubs Galore Coder

Quote Originally Posted by Historian View Post
    What, on an archivist's wage?
    Good point, make that 2 pints .

Fully paid up beer belly Farway's Avatar

Although able bodied I mention if toilets or other facilities are up steps / stairs

I think as non wheelchair user it may difficult to judge if a place is wheelchair friendly or not, obviously loads of steps to climb is not, as is graveled car park I assume, but would we spot perhaps narrow doorways, sharp turns in corridor to loo. lack of space between tables etc?

Former Pubs Galore Coder

Quote Originally Posted by Farway View Post
    Although able bodied I mention if toilets or other facilities are up steps / stairs

I think as non wheelchair user it may difficult to judge if a place is wheelchair friendly or not, obviously loads of steps to climb is not, as is graveled car park I assume, but would we spot perhaps narrow doorways, sharp turns in corridor to loo. lack of space between tables etc?
    Yep, you certainly pick out a valuable point.

Apologies in advance for this, but I am about to out something relating to one of your reviews that we didn't actually tell you about at the time.

One of your reviews for a pub that will remain nameless (and indeed I can't actually remember the name at this time). Complained to us about one of your reviews, apparently their car park wasn't small (as in fact could be seen by the picture you had kindly left) and there wasn't a step required to go to the toilet, although he did kindly point out there was a step to get into the pub from either entrance.

As they basically confirmed your information we refused to remove the review but offered to forward on the email so that you could make your own decision. He then tried to force us to drop the review claiming you had breached our terms and conditions. Given we don't have the resources to play that game we decided the best option was to blacklist the pub (stops it being re-added).

Anyway - the point of mentioning that is that some landlords (I do believe the tiny minority) will say anything to try and gain custom, even if the custom clearly doesn't want to use their venue.

It is an interesting one, I certainly think it is valuable information and possibly should be included in any reviewing guidelines we put up.

Farway - PM me if you want me to obscure this or give you any more information, I am being presumptious in attaching your name.

Thank You All for your replies.

We appreciate that many pub buildings are old and difficult to adapt.Sadly it is this type of pub we love but we are realistic about access . I am not the type who pickets pubs demanding disabled access.
    Modern pubs are often chain owned and we find the disabled facilities exist but their position clashes with other amenities. TV screens,games machines, tables and chairs placed close to disabled toilets are a nightmare. I do not argue the point of these being in pubs just the lack of thought of where they are placed. Customers are usually very good when we require them to move but their game, viewing, meal or drink is interrupted. Numerous times I have seen young families park their pushchairs in front of the disabled toilet and spread bags and children across the floor.They colonise upto three or four tables.I find these are often mouthy and reqire the attention of the pub manager which leads to a stressfull visit.

Full marks to JDWs, Marstons and G K who provide some of the best facilities but all are guilty of poor layout design and positioning of other amenities.

A word to the bar staff.Please DON'T hand over the RADAR key to none disabled customers. They tend to leave the door open for their idle mates who urinate over the toilet seat and floor, probabley in much the sameway as they do at home.

Rant Over....Have a nice day and get some in.

Former Pubs Galore Coder

All interesting stuff, I think for the moment then I will try and remember to add that one to the review guidelines when we get there, thanks a lot for all the feedback on disabled access.

Quote Originally Posted by arwkrite View Post
    Rant Over....Have a nice day and get some in.
    Bristol City clearly weren't following your advice

Fully paid up beer belly Farway's Avatar

Default Wheelchair friendly

One good thing about Richard's post ref wheelchairs, set me, and I assume others, thinking about mentioning facilities if spotted

So Richard, should you ever get to Southsea again, do take a trip to the White Horse, just been in there this weekend, and in light of your posts noted disabled access etc

http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/59788/

I will keep an eye out in future

Perhaps in longer term the pub review could have sort of keys, car parking, wheelchairs, food, draught hand pulled ales, and possibly even a spewing parrot to denote MILD sold?

Thank you Farway for your post and your interest. Me and the mrs sometimes stay at the Inn Keepers Lodge ,Hillsea if she spots a special offer. We like the seaside, the ships and the sense of history.Portsmouth/ Southsea has all that and good places to drink besides.
    Having a wheelchair is abit like having an unusual make of car. Until you have one you dont realise how many of them are about.
    Regards...Richard Arwkrite...wheelchair pusher to the nobility.

Hi all.

OK then now a bit about me....

Lager, Mild, Bitter or Cider ?? Can I have all 4 ?? I was brought up on Banks Mild (Although I prefered Hansons) but I drink mainly lager these days with a few real ales for good measure - depending on the pub.

For me its more about the pub than what drink I have so I don't have a particular favourite pub. I am on a personal mission to visit every pub I can. If I see one I haven't been in I have to go in no matter what it looks like.

Pub crawl ? Well any town I haven't been to will do so I can go in as many new pubs as possible !!!

Cheers,

Del.