Ads not shown when logged in
Page 2 of 24 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Your favourite......

Quote Originally Posted by Historian View Post
    Dont want to worry you, but that deserted, remote place you mention in Dartmoor, is a prison.
    Finally dug out my picture thats over 3 years old. Have to admit I didn't notice the high walls and armed guards at the time. I'm just glad I didn't take up the guv'nors offer of a lock in.

I will have a look at Ambleside pubs and see if i have done any in the past, i am sure i have, but in the days when i didnt make notes.
    It is one of those place where none of them really stand out but all the ones I've visited are pretty good with lots of nice local ales (or should that be LocAles?!) and within a short stagger of each other.

Official PG MILD tester Soup Dragon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dave M View Post
    Finally dug out my picture thats over 3 years old. Have to admit I didn't notice the high walls and armed guards at the time. I'm just glad I didn't take up the guv'nors offer of a lock in.

class comment

It is one of those place where none of them really stand out but all the ones I've visited are pretty good with lots of nice local ales (or should that be LocAles?!) and within a short stagger of each other.
    LocAles - Camra speak there i see! I do like Jennings beers, which are from that neck of the woods - owned by Marstons of course, so all over the midlands to - Snecklifter - fantastic, the MILD is decent, but at 3.2 a bit weak

Former Pubs Galore Coder

The closest i got to religious education was to study brewing in Medieval Monastries!
    An interesting subject, I seem to remember seeing some program (and I now have a horrible feeling it involved James May, so it was probably W(h)ine anyway). Where they were discussing that the monastery used to just throw open its shutters to ferment the alcohol rather than having a fixed yeast.

Quote Originally Posted by Conrad View Post
    An interesting subject, I seem to remember seeing some program (and I now have a horrible feeling it involved James May, so it was probably W(h)ine anyway). Where they were discussing that the monastery used to just throw open its shutters to ferment the alcohol rather than having a fixed yeast.
    Thats why they had so many monks and lay brothers wanting to get in - nothing to do with religion - 24h hooch

LocAles - Camra speak there i see! I do like Jennings beers, which are from that neck of the woods - owned by Marstons of course, so all over the midlands to - Snecklifter - fantastic, the MILD is decent, but at 3.2 a bit weak
    Yes, I have been taken in by the Camra 'LocAle' branding. It seems like a reasonable idea too, so long as it doesn't result in only local beers being served everywhere.

Thinking about it though I must just be a sucker for good branding, last visit to the lakes involved me trying all the Ulverston beers with Laurel & Hardy referencing names, Another Fine Mess, Blue Ridge Mountain etc

Former Pubs Galore Coder

Thinking about it though I must just be a sucker for good branding, last visit to the lakes involved me trying all the Ulverston beers with Laurel & Hardy referencing names, Another Fine Mess, Blue Ridge Mountain etc
    Thanks for that I am now reminded that I used to drink Dogs Bollocks when we were at Uni.

Quote Originally Posted by Conrad View Post
    Thanks for that I am now reminded that I used to drink Dogs Bollocks when we were at Uni.
    They had a dog in one story called Laughing Gravy, i think

One problem with the real ales that are making a deserved comeback is that many are peddled all over the country - GK IPA, Abbots, Pedigree, Spekky Hen, Bombardier, London Pride etc - so a local choice is great - a local MILD, even better.

You could diversify and get start doing a PG Cider, or Perry if you want to be vogue

You could diversify and get start doing a PG Cider, or Perry if you want to be vogue
    Good thinking, the perry will definitely be Conrads department. I'm pretty sure he is fond of the odd Babycham.

If we want to be vogue though shouldn't we be calling it pear cider? I do get rather fed up of the advert with the 'only fruit we put in our pear cider is pears' tagline - why not just call it perry then?!

Good thinking, the perry will definitely be Conrads department. I'm pretty sure he is fond of the odd Babycham.

If we want to be vogue though shouldn't we be calling it pear cider? I do get rather fed up of the advert with the 'only fruit we put in our pear cider is pears' tagline - why not just call it perry then?!
    ahhhh Conrad, you have a woman's drink

its all tosh - get a MILD down your neck.

Not the first time cider have tried to up-market itself, from Wikipedia:-

Pomagne is a brand of cider produced by Bulmers in the United Kingdom. It was first marketed in 1906 under the name "Cider De Luxe." In 1916, it was renamed Pomagne.

It was originally produced by the mthode champenoise using only the juice from the first pressing.

Bulmers marketed Pomagne as "champagne cider" until Bollinger took them to court over the use of the term "champagne" in 1974. Bulmers won the case, but stopped using the mthode champenoise in 1975 and changed to making Pomagne by bulk fermentation in a 6,000 gallon tank.

Former Pubs Galore Coder

Scr*w You Guys I'm Going Home

Edit: Just in case anyone takes this seriously, think South Park, don't watch it, because most of them are rubbish.