Ads not shown when logged in
Page 11 of 24 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast

Thread: Your favourite......

Hi Farway

I lived in Romsey on the other side of the county, but we were very close to the unique Gales pub the Newport Inn at Braishfield. I also used to use the Baytree in Southampton a lot when I was at college and had my first pint of HSB in there in 1975 or 6. My local was the Tudor Rose in Romsey. I moved away from Hampshire for the last time in 2000 but sometimes go back for work. I did manage a trip round the old Gales brewery long before they sold out.

Former Pubs Galore Coder

Quote Originally Posted by oldboots View Post
    Thanks for the tip Conrad, I'll post this in “Your Favourites” instead of "hello", maybe this thread needs to be a “sticky”?
    Stuck now, if I'm honest I am not a fan of Stickie's and this thread is a little rambling, but you are not wrong that we need to keep attention on it (That is me pre-emptively putting in an excuse for making the thread come unstuck).

CIDER – much prefer a really sharp dry perry but I had some stuff in Bristol many years ago which stripped a layer of plastic off the inside of the container we'd carried it home in, the name Rich's comes to mind but I could be wrong.
    Me and Dave actually met at UWE (Bristol Poly) on a chemistry degree, given the city's reputation for Cider one of the much cited experiments was to do an IR spec of some of the local ciders. According to tradition they had a rather large spike of Meths in them where they were being brewed a little cavelierly, hence the reputation for bad hangovers. I doubt they would get away with it these days, if it was ever true, certainly made for an amusing practical application though.

legacy of a Glasgow childhood
    I can certainly understand not commiting to a team , scary derby's.

This Space For Hire aleandhearty's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by The Archivist View Post
    Your favourite........

Bitter, lager, MILD, cider.
    Pub - the last one you would visit if the Grim Reaper allowed you a pint worth
    Pub town - where would you go for a crawl if he was generous and gave you a night's drinking
    Oh God. Decisions, decisions. Today they are:

Bitter: Oakham 'Bishops Farewell'
    Lager: What's that? Oh OK then- Harviestoun 'Schiehallion'.
    Mild: Fernandes 'Malt Shovel Mild'
    Cider: No idea. Something by Westons?
    Pub: Fernandes Brewery Tap, Wakefield.
    Town: Sheffield- for 'The Valley of Beer' crawl.

Official PG MILD tester Soup Dragon's Avatar

and we expect a new report tomorrow a&h!
    MILD:

This Space For Hire aleandhearty's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by The Archivist View Post
    and we expect a new report tomorrow a&h!
    Be careful what you wish for!

Cool a few of my favourite things...

OK chaps, here goes.
    Bitter...Tomos Watkin OSB. re Sharp's, they are using new equipment in their Rock brewery, which might account for the change in Doom Bar.
    Mild...Rhymney Dark
    Lager...Herold Pivovar, Czech Black Lager ( I do like normal lager, but not Stella, which is brewed in Newport.
    Cider...despite starting my like in beer on Woodpecker, nowadays I only use cider for cooking.
    Pub... The Star in Talybont on Usk, Powys
    Crawl...Liverpool ( but really I think it's about who you are with)
    ... how does that grab you all?

Well the Star has it's beer festival this weekend, which from the sounds of it is going very well. It's a great pub, and won CAMRA POTY Gold this year (The Boar in Brecon got silver and Kilverts in Hay Bronze). Rhymney dark I completely agree with, although in general I prefer their Export ale.

Nice to have someone else from the area around - welcome

Right..

Bitter.. My top choice would be Banks Original (not Banks Bitter) and any from Titanic Brewery or Tunnel Brewery

Mild.. Dont drink

Lager.. you having laugh? Next

Cider.. i have soft spot for Kroppenberg (sp?) especially Cherry and mixed berry flavours

Pub.. The White Lion, Tamworth and Queens Head, Lichfield

Crawl.. always enjoyed crawling in Birmingham and Lichfield

Official PG MILD tester Soup Dragon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by hopwas View Post
    Right..

Bitter.. My top choice would be Banks Original (not Banks Bitter) and any from Titanic Brewery or Tunnel Brewery

Mild.. Dont drink

Lager.. you having laugh? Next

Cider.. i have soft spot for Kroppenberg (sp?) especially Cherry and mixed berry flavours

Pub.. The White Lion, Tamworth and Queens Head, Lichfield

Crawl.. always enjoyed crawling in Birmingham and Lichfield
    Banks's Original is MILD! Queens Head is class, as is Digbeth and Hockley in Brum. Good choices, Sir
    MILD:

Quote Originally Posted by Soup Dragon View Post
    Banks's Original is MILD! Queens Head is class, as is Digbeth and Hockley in Brum. Good choices, Sir
    Ohhhhh... drank Banks Original for years and always thought it was bitter! My bad!

Anyway.. yeah The Black Eagle in Hockley is cracking pub. The Anchor in Digbeth is also superb. But greatest pub in Brum goes to The Wellington.. 15 or so real ale on pump! Always first choice whenever i go to Brum