Ads not shown when logged in
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Tripadvisor to be sued, apprently

We're not really 'ere! trainman's Avatar

I've used tripadvisor in the past, usually to check views on a possible hotel, rather than search for one directly.
    Did anyone else hear the debate regarding the group action today on radio2? Was really more about the type of stuff they get on tripadvisor and pundits, as well as some hoteliers, suggesting (as we all know with pub review sites) to take an overall view & not be swayed by some troll going against the general flow. The first telephone guest (hotelier) spoke about action he was taking against a tripadvisor reviewer, rather than the site, so he had managed to identify a defamatory culprit from his end.
    Following talk of national PG exposure earlier this week, I was almost tempted to phone in to explain the pitfalls of unmoderated sites, and the benefits of well regulated ones...
    Last edited by trainman; 17-09-2010 at 22:27.

Pussy Galore No 1 Oggwyn Trench's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by trainman View Post
    I've used tripadvisor in the past, usually to check views on a possible hotel, rather than search for one directly.
    Did anyone else hear the debate regarding the group action today on radio2? Was really more about the type of stuff they get on tripadvisor and pundits, as well as some hoteliers, suggesting (as we all know with pub review sites) to take an overall view & not be swayed by some troll going against the general flow. The first telephone guest (hotelier) spoke about action he was taking against a tripadvisor reviewer, rather than the site, so he had managed to identify a defamatory culprit from his end.
    Following talk of national PG exposure earlier this week, I was almost tempted to phone in to explain the pitfalls of unmoderated sites, and the benefits of well regulated ones...
    I heard the Radio 2 debate , basically as long as the review is a truthfull representation of your visit (good or bad) and is not malicious and defamotary your OK
    Theres a Man with a Mullet going Mad with a Mallet in Millets !

Former Pubs Galore Coder

Quote Originally Posted by Oggwyn Trench View Post
    I heard the Radio 2 debate , basically as long as the review is a truthfull representation of your visit (good or bad) and is not malicious and defamotary your OK
    The way I was always given to understand it is that it is not libel if it is the truth .

More genuinely though libel is a git of a law as it holds a reverse burden of proof, so once you are being done for libel you have to prove what you said is true, meaning opinion is fair game as that is true. Suggestions of illness or food poisoning however are difficult to prove unless you visited a Doctor or reported it to Environmental Health.

Going beyond that, whilst I might feel able to ask regular contributors if they were willing to stand by their comments, I have no faith that the one drop complainer who doesn't use their real name is going to be willing to support their statements.

Get some gravy on it. Maldenman's Avatar
    Motspur Park or whichever pub I happen to be in at the time.

Possibly one to look at considering this thread.

http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/userinfo...talie+Cardwell

Former Pubs Galore Coder

We don't need this thread to know those should be deleted

Thanks for bringing that to our attention, both reviews now gone.

Given the recent publicity, I'm surprised that Tripadvisor think that this 'promotion' is a good idea:

http://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/DirtyHotels

Fully paid up beer belly Farway's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by rpadam View Post
    Given the recent publicity, I'm surprised that Tripadvisor think that this 'promotion' is a good idea:

http://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/DirtyHotels
    The photos do not lie though, I liked the ones with "dirty" writen in the dirt on a door, [like "clean me" on the back of a lorry] and the wires hanging from a ceiling

"Do I know where hell is? hell is in hello"