Ads not shown when logged in

Thread: Slaughtered Lamb / London

Default Slaughtered Lamb / London

A mate and I are making the pilgrimage to the Slaughtered Lamb Black Swan soon for a Campari & Soda!
    As this involves a trip in and out of London we have come up with a small list of other pubs we'd like to visit:

The Blind Beggar & The Carpenters Arms of Krays fame.
    Cart & Horses - birthplace of Iron Maiden.
    The Grapes - Ian McKellen's pub

This is going to need a lot of moving around and we haven't decided on a running order yet so any advice welcome.

Also any other interesting pubs we could take in and any must do's near these pubs would be welcome!

Cheers,

Del.

I am a salmon !!

Quote Originally Posted by Delboy20 View Post
    A mate and I are making the pilgrimage to the Slaughtered Lamb Black Swan soon for a Campari & Soda!
    As this involves a trip in and out of London we have come up with a small list of other pubs we'd like to visit:

The Blind Beggar & The Carpenters Arms of Krays fame.
    Cart & Horses - birthplace of Iron Maiden.
    The Grapes - Ian McKellen's pub

This is going to need a lot of moving around and we haven't decided on a running order yet so any advice welcome.

Also any other interesting pubs we could take in and any must do's near these pubs would be welcome!

Cheers,

Del.
    Hi Del,
    I used to work about half a mile from The Black Swan, It's basically more restraunt than pub so hope you won't be too disappointed, that said It's over 10 years since I went there, a long walk from East Horsley Station, I'd advise a taxi unless you have plenty of time.. Blind Beggar to Carpenters Arms is a decent walk, quicker via Vallence Rd passing the site of the Krays home or longer but more interesting via Brick Lane possibly taking in The Pride Of Spitalfields. The Grapes is a walk from Limehouse DLR,
    Enjoy, but don't expect cheap beer!
    "Everybody's got to believe in something. I believe I'll have another beer."
    -W.C.Fields

Glass Half Full

Dirty Dicks in Bishopgate - named after a famous horder, a millionaire in a lifelong despair after his bride to be died on the way to the wedding - inspiration for Dickens creating Miss Haversham in Great Expectations

This Space For Hire

Quote Originally Posted by Mobyduck View Post
    Hi Del,
    I used to work about half a mile from The Black Swan, It's basically more restraunt than pub so hope you won't be too disappointed, that said It's over 10 years since I went there, a long walk from East Horsley Station, I'd advise a taxi unless you have plenty of time..
    Indeed. It has changed beyond all recognition since the film was made (I have frequented it since the 70s, but rarely nowadays). It is a very long walk from East Horsley as the nearest station is Effingham Junction and that is a mile and a half away! Sadly other 'interesting' pubs in the area have been demolished, notably the Dukes Head in Walton (Psychomania) and the Star in Hersham (home of Sham 69).

If you are looking for film-related pubs in East London, I believe the Royal Oak featured in Lock Stock and 2 Smoking Barrels.
    On leaving the bar, I felt a strong blow to the back of my head. Turning round, I discovered it was the pavement

Quote Originally Posted by Pangolin View Post
    Indeed. It has changed beyond all recognition since the film was made (I have frequented it since the 70s, but rarely nowadays). It is a very long walk from East Horsley as the nearest station is Effingham Junction and that is a mile and a half away! Sadly other 'interesting' pubs in the area have been demolished, notably the Dukes Head in Walton (Psychomania) and the Star in Hersham (home of Sham 69).

If you are looking for film-related pubs in East London, I believe the Royal Oak featured in Lock Stock and 2 Smoking Barrels.
    We are going Vauxhall to Effingham Junction then the 30 minute walk! I know it's not the Slaughtered Lamb we think of but we talked about visiting about 5 years ago and have only just got round to it! The lockdown didn't help!

I am a salmon !!

Quote Originally Posted by arthurchappell View Post
    Dirty Dicks in Bishopgate - named after a famous horder, a millionaire in a lifelong despair after his bride to be died on the way to the wedding - inspiration for Dickens creating Miss Haversham in Great Expectations
    Cheers for the idea but I went there last year! Wasn't that impressed by it to be fair.

I am a salmon !!

Quote Originally Posted by Pangolin View Post
    Similarly, another Guy Ritchie movie, Snatch, used The Jolly Gardeners as the location for the 'Drowning Trout' (the scene where Vinnie Jones is held up at gunpoint)

The Salisbury Hotel featured in The Long Good Friday