Ads not shown when logged in

Thread: Bournemouth

This Space For Hire Real Ale Ray's Avatar

Default Bournemouth

Hi All

Just wondering if Bournemouth is worth a crawl. I see that there's a few micros, I'd appreciate any info!

Cheers
    'I only drink on two occasions, when I'm thirsty and when I'm not'
    Brendan Behan

Quote Originally Posted by Real Ale Ray View Post
    Hi All

Just wondering if Bournemouth is worth a crawl. I see that there's a few micros, I'd appreciate any info!

Cheers
    Hi Ray and Fiona, did a mini tour of Bournmouth earlier this year, the town centre in the main is very poor, the only exceptions I came across are Belgium & Blues and on the way out of town to the west, Goat And Tricycle ( though this didn't fully live up to my expectations), worth a look nearby are The Four Horsemen and The Poole Hill Brewery. A little further on is the micro All Hail Ale , which I did like, not done any of the other micros.
    "Everybody's got to believe in something. I believe I'll have another beer."
    -W.C.Fields

Hi Ray & Fiona

As Moby say, the two main clusters of pubs in Bournemouth town centre (along Old Christchurch Road and around the main square/lower gardens area) are hopeless, so you need to venture by bus or train into the suburbs to find anything worthwhile.

Moby's suggestion of pubs to the west of the town centre is a good one - in addition to those mentioned, Brewhouse & Kitchen is also worth a look and you could then take a bus further west through Westbourne for The Libertine, and Branksome for Branksome Railway Hotel and Barking Cat Alehouse. From here you could also head in the direction of Poole, stopping at Ashley Cross where a good cluster of pubs can be found, including Bermuda Triangle, Bricklayers Arms, Butcher's Dog and maybe even Poole Ex Servicemen's Club. Parkstone station is nearby for trains back to Branksome or Bournemouth.

Alternatively, you can take a bus north from Bournemouth station to Winton, where you'll find two micros - The Silverback Alehouse and The Micro Moose as well as a decent 'Spoons - The Parkstone and Heatherlands (JD Wetherspoon). From here, you could push on to Kinson, which lost its best pub a few years ago, but has a recent GBG entry to compensate - The Acorn (it's had a major revamp since the last review).

Another area to explore is Southbourne, which can be reached from Pokesdown station - here you've got The Wight Bear Ale House, Brewhouse & Kitchen and The Way Outback Brewery Taproom. The former has a sister pub in nearby Christchurch, which is one stop further along the train line - The Saxon Bar Ale House

Finally, there's one more micro pub about 15 minutes walk from Bournemouth station, but in the wrong direction for the town centre - The Firkin Shed. You can make this a double header with The Cricketers, which is a decent backstreet boozer and the only other surviving pub in Springbourne.

This Space For Hire Real Ale Ray's Avatar

Many thanks Moby & PSM, that's very helpful and much appreciated. Definitely some decent pubs in that list, look forward to it
    'I only drink on two occasions, when I'm thirsty and when I'm not'
    Brendan Behan