Ads not shown when logged in

Thread: A couple of minor Leeds corrections.

This Space For Hire aleandhearty's Avatar

Default A couple of minor Leeds corrections.

Hi Conrad

The Manston Hotel: (Austhorpe Rd) CROSS GATES, Leeds is now called The Barnbow.

The Palace Public House: (Kirkgate) is more correctly just known as 'The Palace'.

Hilton National Leeds Garforth: During the recent Leeds overhaul it somehow got assigned to Blofield, Norwich instead of GARFORTH.

Cheers.
    'And where he supped the past lived still. And where he sipped the glass brimmed full' John Barleycorn, Carol Ann Duffy.

Former Pubs Galore Coder

Hi a&h,

We have corrected the name of The Barnbow and The Palace. We also corrected the location of the Hilton National Leeds Garforth.

Overnight we also got our first piece of feedback suggesting that Leeds was now less usable and suggesting we shouldn't use sub-districts in this way (all very politely). This was after they had submitted two pubs we already had - presumably as they couldn't find them. One was in Little London which I have now done away with as I remain unconvinced by that district, the other was in Cross Green which as I can see marked on maps seems valid to me.

Thanks for those.

Quote Originally Posted by Conrad View Post
    Hi a&h,

Overnight we also got our first piece of feedback suggesting that Leeds was now less usable and suggesting we shouldn't use sub-districts in this way (all very politely). This was after they had submitted two pubs we already had - presumably as they couldn't find them. One was in Little London which I have now done away with as I remain unconvinced by that district, the other was in Cross Green which as I can see marked on maps seems valid to me.
    Oh well, I tried. As mentioned elsewhere I think Little London over egged the pudding a little and so I've no problems with that. There are probably another couple of sub-districts that can be trimmed also, but to be honest I can't face it at the moment and I'm sure you're sick of all things Leeds at present. On balance, I still think it's an improvement and if nothing else about 25 false listings were chopped.
    'And where he supped the past lived still. And where he sipped the glass brimmed full' John Barleycorn, Carol Ann Duffy.

Former Pubs Galore Coder

Take nothing away it is an improvement

It also does my head in as it is not an easy process on our system moving pubs around, which I prefer not to moan about as it is far worse for anyone like yourself who has to go through all the pubs and work out where they go. It does mean that I can sympathise with the comment about not facing it at the moment. It continues to bemuse me just how much offence the locations cause. For me the search is the important bit.

Just doing a post about the changes I want to make to the system.

I have to agree with A&H, it's clearer than before. If I see a pub listed as Leeds I expect it to be in or near the city centre not out at Beeston or Horsforth. I think it's easier to plan pub crawls if the pubs listed together are in a reasonably tight geographic area rather than going through a list of hundreds in one city. People did some good work tidying London and Birmingham etc, maybe we need a couple more places to have the same treatment. Manchester springs to mind as sometimes I click on a pub to find it's miles from the centre.

Quote Originally Posted by oldboots View Post
    I have to agree with A&H, it's clearer than before.
    Thanks 'ob'.

Former Pubs Galore Coder

I tell you all, one day I am going to crack and just wipe all the towns and instead just show each pub by its street

Quote Originally Posted by Conrad View Post
    I tell you all, one day I am going to crack and just wipe all the towns and instead just show each pub by its street
    Just count to ten and practice the deep breathing exercises.