Ads not shown when logged in
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Sporting Allegiances

I'm almost with Farway on this, my eyes glaze over if sport is mentioned. I will watch Football, Cricket or Rugby if it's on a TV in a pub I'm drinking in but I'll finish my pint and leave without a second thought about who eventually won. I used to go to horse racing years ago and in spite of living in a county with at least five courses I don't now, must be the price and quality of the beer that puts me off.

This Space For Hire aleandhearty's Avatar

Football: Just doesn't do it for me I'm afraid. Watched the great Leeds team of Don Revie, in the seventies, as a boy, but nothing since then. Made a vague attempt to re-kindle my interest by following Barnsley last year, but my heart wasn't in it. Will watch England occasionally.

Cricket: Sacrilegious for a Yorkshireman to say it, but cricket bores me rigid. However, I love to see it being played on a summer's afternoon. There's something reassuringly civilised about it.

Golf: I've always sided with Mark Twain that golf is a good walk ruined, but deep down I have to admit I'd probably become hopelessly addicted, if I started playing. The image of most golf clubs makes it a fairly safe bet I won't start.

Rugby: My true sporting passion, nothing else comes close. In my late teens I played Union for school on Saturday and League for a club on Sunday. God, those were the days! Much prefer Union these days, but can understand why neutrals prefer League. My heroes tend to be flankers: Finlay Calder, John Jeffrey, Richie McCaw and Richard Hill. Favourite player has to be Jason Robinson - his acceleration and change of direction was phenomenal. Love to watch the All Blacks play. Most rugy fans will grudgingly admit they are consistently the best team in the world, but they 'choke' in the World Cup. Will they be able to do it on home ground next year?

Followed Wakefield RUFC before they folded because of financial problems. These days follow Leeds Carnegie as an armchair supporter. The fact that most of their home games are on a Sunday is a real pain.

Athletics: Will try and watch any televised meet, especially the Olympics. A decent shot putter in my teens, representing Yorkshire at the All England schools, before I stopped growing (vertically!). Loved watching Coe, Cram and Ovett in the eighties. They managed to inspire me to run half-marathons in my twenties and thirties. Also admired Michael Johnson (US sprinter) and Ed Moses (US hurdler) as well as the more obvious role models Geoff Capes and Randy Matson. These days I marvel at Usain Bolt.

Darts: Not that stuck on the game but who can resist the commentary of Sid Waddell?...'This man's got an eye on him like a peregrine falcon'

Gymnastics: Watch as a mesmerised neutral. I admire gymnasts more than any other group of sportsmen, for the total control of their bodies. Hanging crucifix anyone?
    'And where he supped the past lived still. And where he sipped the glass brimmed full' John Barleycorn, Carol Ann Duffy.

My favourite SPORT is darts and I could watch it all day. I signed up to a darts forum when I was under the influence, but after reading through a few posts when my membership was validated I decided not to participate.

I used to play for Middlesex under 18s and 21s, but I was a 60 average player who I would beat now. My brother played for England at under 18 level and played in the European cup in Bremen alongside Kirk Shepherd for those who know darts at all. My brother was the youngest Middlesex A player until he quit to go to Uni and I’ve witnessed him hit five 180s in 10 throws.

My sister also played for Middlesex and has more trophies at home than I have cutlery, the women’s standard isn’t very good at grass roots! (meow)

My mum, god bless her soul, had partnered many great dart players including Ronnie Baxter who is lapping up the limelight at the moment. Back in the day she poured a pint of lager over Jocky Wilson’s head for being disrespectful to a women’s semi final game at Brean Sands.

I love darts and still have unwarranted beliefs that I will be world champion one day with a lot of practice!
    WE ARE THE BREADMEN - UP THE BEES

I used to enjoy a game of darts with my mates but quickly realised two things, 1. I have trouble with mental arithmetic and 2. I had trouble hitting the board.But as my fellow players would say I was useful to practice on and the banter was good natured. We had a strong team, it had to be to hold up the rest of the league.

Get some gravy on it. Maldenman's Avatar
    Motspur Park or whichever pub I happen to be in at the time.

The strength of my allegience is being severely tested at the moment.

I've not played darts, or pool come to think of it, for years now. I used to watch the darts and the snooker back in the 80's but it seems to me the players of both games had more character then and were real individuals.

Official PG MILD tester Soup Dragon's Avatar

I am generally a footy fan, with the Villa and Torquay being my teams. I will watch any game though, even though the money is killing it. I still play Sunday league even now.

Cricket - i watch England and like Mr V, hope Warwicks do well

Rugby - i am not a union fan really and don't even watch the 6 nations - much prefer league where i watch the internationals and follow Warrington, as they are simply the closest team to where i live. Watched Halifax play a few times.

All other sports i simply prefer to play - darts, snooker, pool etc than watch

No interest at all in motor sports

Horse racing is of no interest, greyhounds a bit of fun on the odd visit
    MILD:

Quote Originally Posted by Soup Dragon View Post
    Horse racing is of no interest, greyhounds a bit of fun on the odd visit
    Whatever happened to those old cine film race nights that were so popular in the pubs a few years ago?
    WE ARE THE BREADMEN - UP THE BEES

Official PG MILD tester Soup Dragon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Strongers View Post
    Whatever happened to those old cine film race nights that were so popular in the pubs a few years ago?
    Funny you should ask, Squire, they were on in the venue of the holiday park we stopped at in Weymouth! races from Monmore Green (Wolverhampton) but sadly, i didn't recognise any of them!
    MILD:

Perhaps they were stopped because those big Asian based betting rings were getting in on the act. I remember wining a quid at some holiday camp for coming first. I made more on the bingo.

Not long after we got married and had bugger all money wise (not much has changed), we stayed in some godawful Holiday Camp on the South Coast. I came second in the Men's darts competition and won an extra week's holiday. Given our circummstances at the time, we did actually take it a couple of months later. I hate to think what I would have got for winning though.