Ads not shown when logged in

Thread: 10 Healthy Reasons To Drink Beer

This Space For Hire aleandhearty's Avatar

Default 10 Healthy Reasons To Drink Beer

Saw this recently in the Aug - Sept edition of 'The Bar' (magazine of Barnsley CAMRA). Just in case you need any incentive.

1. Beer reduces stress: Alcohol in general has been shown to reduce stress. This one is obvious and may be the best reason is good for your health.

2. Beer is good for the heart: a study was conducted from 1982 - 1996 on the elderly. it was found those who drank at least 1.5 units per day had a 20-50 percent less chance of heart failure.

3. Beer improves blood circulation: Beer increases your 'good' cholesterol, or HDL (high-density lipoprotein) cholesterol. it's basically a kind of blood fat, so it reduces blood's tendency to clot.

4. Beer is chock full of fibre: The fibre comes from the cell walls of the malted barley. A couple of pints of beer can have as much as 60% of your daily recommended amount. The extra fibre will keep you regular and can also lower the risk of heart disease.

5. Beer as a multi-vitamin: Beer is a significant source of magnesium, selenium, potassium, phosphorous, biotin, vitamin B6 and vitamin B12.

6. Beer can prevent strokes: A study published in Stroke magazine in 2001 showed that alcohol drinkers have fewer strokes. Because it thins the blood, it increases the circulation in the brain, thereby protecting from silent strokes which are caused by tiny blod clots.

7. beer keeps your brain young: A large study, published in the December 2001 issue of Alcoholism: Clinical & Experimental Research, was conducted on elderly Italian men and women. It showed that moderate drinkers had a 40% lower risk of mental impairment.

8. Beer is good for your liver: * Alcohol expands the small blood vessels in the liver. This speeds up metabolism so it can clean all the toxins out of the liver. This is from Beer Net Publication, April 2001 Biological Institute.

9. Beer cures insomnia: Lactoflavin ans nicotinic acid, both present in beer, can promote sleep. Also, hops are a natural sedative.

10. Beer fends off gallstones: According to Professor Oliver James at the University of Newcastle, beer protects against gallstones and kidney stones.

Enjoy!

* Not sure about Roger and Soupy, on this one.
    'And where he supped the past lived still. And where he sipped the glass brimmed full' John Barleycorn, Carol Ann Duffy.

Quote Originally Posted by aleandhearty View Post
    A study published in Stroke magazine
    "Stroke magazine" sounds like a second-hand bongo mag I saw came across at Chesterfield market.
    Last edited by Quinno; 03-09-2010 at 10:10. Reason: should be obvious :)

There's a couple I could dispute, but I'd like to add:

No 11: A good cure for constipation.
    Last edited by Strongers; 02-09-2010 at 20:49. Reason: Quinno nominated for post of the month! LOL
    WE ARE THE BREADMEN - UP THE BEES

This Space For Hire aleandhearty's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Quinno View Post
    "Stroke magazine" sounds like a second-hand bongo mag I saw came across at Chesterfield market.
    Stroke? What sort of man are you?
    'And where he supped the past lived still. And where he sipped the glass brimmed full' John Barleycorn, Carol Ann Duffy.

Quote Originally Posted by aleandhearty View Post
    Stroke? What sort of man are you?
    A man with RSI in my left arm!

Quote Originally Posted by Quinno View Post
    A man with RSI in my left arm!
    Hhhuuurruumph..........err...um...I take it your are a left handed drinker ? Let us just leave it at that shall we ?

Former Pubs Galore Coder

Quote Originally Posted by arwkrite View Post
    Hhhuuurruumph..........err...um...I take it your are a left handed drinker ? Let us just leave it at that shall we ?
    Yeah I was going to go in a different direction with that one and decided I might not be thought well of if I called members names like that.