Ads not shown when logged in
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Pub of the Month (September)

A hard one this month - The Earl of Normanton is as strong as ever, while I've discovered some excellent places in Oxfordshire (Radnor Arms in Coleshill and the King and Queen in Longcott in particular) and have enjoyed my favourite Edinburgh haunts (Halfway House and Bow Bar). Most months any of these would have been a strong contender, but this month I happen to have been in The Guidedog in Southampton which always feels a bit like visiting an old friend. So, my POTM is that one ( http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/59830/ ).

Waterborne Beer Inspector Bucking Fastard's Avatar

Two pubs really stand out for me over the last month .Having heard that The Edgar Wallace off The Strand www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/22089/ had changed hands ,I visited with some trepidation but was pleased to find the new regime even better than the old.My primary interest is quality real ale and that was delivered there but last nights visit to an old favourite The Old Cross Tavern,Hertford www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/55450/ was pure joy and given it's more interesting interior that has squeezed in as my POTM.

No new pubs that I can shout about this month but a few oldies revisited. the Coal Hole in the Strand is still as good as I remembered when I worked around the corner. I reviewed the nearby Wellington about 5 years ago and commented on the 3 ales. A visit this week found 9 ales across 14 hand pumps with some good choices among them. I think I will have to go for the Wenlock Arms, this month, even with its temporary plastic furniture, as the beer are second to none and it needs all the publicity and praise that it can get at the moment!

Some new ones for me this month, from the fab plushness of the OXO Tower bar to the Ale and Cider emporium at the Southampton Arms amongst others in NW5 via the vile-looking but amazing beer pub of CASK at Pimlico.

I think the CASK Pub and Kitchen shaded it on the strength of one visit to each.

Pussy Galore No 1 Oggwyn Trench's Avatar

Well i am going for this http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/32274/ a fantastic locals pub , a warm welcome and good beer
    Theres a Man with a Mullet going Mad with a Mallet in Millets !

I'll stay on me own PaulOfHorsham's Avatar

Mine has to be the Two Bells, which has great beer and friendly bar staff but is, unfortunately thousands of miles from home.

We're not really 'ere! trainman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by PaulOfHorsham View Post
    Mine has to be the Two Bells, which has great beer and friendly bar staff but is, unfortunately thousands of miles from home.
    Interesting the beer menu doesn't quote the abv, especially with the dim view many yanks seem to have toward drinking. Paul, what are the measures for the beer options at, say, $3.25, $4.25, $14 ??

I'll stay on me own PaulOfHorsham's Avatar

Not a dim view in the beer towns of the north west! In the pubs, they quote not only the ABV, but degrees Plato (don't know what that is - need to investigate) and also IBU (International Bitterness Units). There's also a brief description, too, which makes it so much easier to decide what you want. Over here, you're all too often expected to guess from the ABV and a pun-based name which may or may not be a clue.

I'd guess the Rainier Beer & Scrimshaw Pilsner to be around 5%, with the IPA 6 - 7%. I could check of course.

(US) pints (16 fl oz) are around $4.25 - $4.50 in most places. Occasionally $5.00 and some places serve imperial pints. $3.25 gets you a smaller glass - seemed to be called a schooner in most places but, as I was mainly on the pints I can't tell you how much beer - probably 12 oz though. That $14 is going to be a jug, I'd say, or possibly a take-out (a "growler" seems to be the local vernacular).

In most US cities there really is no need to settle for the insipid mass-produced stuff. A brewpub is seldom far away and, in somewhere like Portland, seemingly outnumbering the regular bars.

My favourite Seattle pub is probably The Six Arms owned by McMenamins brewery.

Great beer & food and friendly staff, although that is true of almost anywhere in Seattle.
    A pub is for life not just for Christmas

We're not really 'ere! trainman's Avatar

Not a dim view in the beer towns of the north west!

In most US cities there really is no need to settle for the insipid mass-produced stuff. A brewpub is seldom far away and, in somewhere like Portland, seemingly outnumbering the regular bars.
    Quote Originally Posted by ROBCamra View Post
    My favourite Seattle pub is probably The Six Arms owned by McMenamins brewery.

Great beer & food and friendly staff, although that is true of almost anywhere in Seattle.
    All good to hear.
    Can I ask you guys what led you to (presumably) vacation in that particular area?