Ads not shown when logged in
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Best pubs visited in 2021

I managed to get out of London enough this year to have a few great contenders for POTY - in no particular order:

The Three Pillars, Gravesend
    Holly Bush Inn, Makeney
    The Sun, Pickering
    The Waiting Room, Whitby
    The White Swan, Stokesley
    Rock, Chiddingstone Hoath
    Wonston Arms, Wonston

But the best of the bunch happened to be my final pub of 2021 - The Brewery Tap, Abingdon.

Just Missed the Round

It's always tough to try and choose a best pub, or top three, or whatever, but the following stood out for me this year:

Cheshire Cheese in Buxton - my first cask ale of the year and despite being outdoor seating only at the time of my visit, felt like a welcome slice of normality.
    The Smithfield Market Tavern in Manchester - again, this gets credit for running a very smooth operation (in terms of friendliness and efficiency of table service) with a decent beer selection when indoor seating was finally allowed.
    The City Arms in Manchester - where other pubs have reduced their cask ale selection or let it suffer in terms of quality, this pub has maintained a good variety on the pumps and no issue at all with quality.

It's a tough call, but my Pub of 2021 would probably have to be The City Arms and it is somewhere I should probably make a point of visiting more frequently.

Just Missed the Round Brainypool's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RealAleRobUK View Post
    It's always tough to try and choose a best pub, or top three, or whatever, but the following stood out for me this year:

Cheshire Cheese in Buxton - my first cask ale of the year and despite being outdoor seating only at the time of my visit, felt like a welcome slice of normality.
    The Smithfield Market Tavern in Manchester - again, this gets credit for running a very smooth operation (in terms of friendliness and efficiency of table service) with a decent beer selection when indoor seating was finally allowed.
    The City Arms in Manchester - where other pubs have reduced their cask ale selection or let it suffer in terms of quality, this pub has maintained a good variety on the pumps and no issue at all with quality.

It's a tough call, but my Pub of 2021 would probably have to be The City Arms and it is somewhere I should probably make a point of visiting more frequently.
    Oh, I forgot about the City Arms! An outstanding pub. And I also ought to visit it more frequently.

This Space For Hire
    Last edited by Tris39; 06-01-2022 at 19:20.

I only managed 14 new visits in 2021 (a record annual low since I inadvertently joined the pub-ticking community), mainly due to having to shield my other half who has been immuno-suppressed for most of the latter half of the year.

With such a small pool to choose from, I'm opting for the one which impressed me the most with both its beer choice, quality and internal decor:

POTY: The Prince of Wales, Farnborough

Looking at the reviews, it seems that a handful of my peers also agree that it's a good 'un.
    Last edited by Komakino; 07-01-2022 at 22:11. Reason: Fixed typo.
    "Breakneck speed we drown ten pints of bitter"

This Space For Hire

Another re-visit for best pub.I have been 3 times this 2021 to the Nags Head Reading.In previous visits I have though it's got great beer but it's a bit scuffy especially the manky toilets.Now it's been smartened up with the toilets looking good,great cask and keg selection,a lovely make over of the outside drinking area and really friendly staff.makes this a 10 in imo.

We're not really 'ere! trainman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by london calling View Post
    and really friendly staff.makes this a 10 in imo.
    I heard that the muppet who actually offered me out some years ago has shuffled off this mortal coil, and good riddance!

Given the challenges of the last few months my vote for a consistently good performance goes to Brewers Arms
    'Beer is for all day, not just for breakfast'.

This Space For Hire

The Lord Nelson Inn came as a pleasant surprise in 2021.

This Space For Hire

Quote Originally Posted by NickDavies View Post
    The Lord Nelson Inn came as a pleasant surprise in 2021.
    "...done out in a seventies nautical style'.

I hope it wasn't anything like the former Cranbourne.