Ads not shown when logged in
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Worst Pub of the Year 2021

This Space For Hire

Three Horseshoes plumbed new depths of hopelessness in 2021

But then we hadn't been in any Hungry Horses or JDWs or whatever all year.
    Last edited by NickDavies; 08-01-2022 at 16:39.

This Space For Hire

Quote Originally Posted by sheffield hatter View Post
    John, that's an argument for not using the scoring system at all, which I would respect.

When you were in The Owl & The Pussycat in 2016 you thought it was really good, but then in 2021 you were there again on three occasions and thought it was so crappy that you made it your worst pub of the year. You say "you can only rate what you find on the day", which is quite right - you can't write a review based on what someone told you, or on what the pub's reputation is. Trouble is, your review from 2016 says this pub's really good. Now you think it's not so good.

As a reviewer, you would help the users of the site if you said so in a review. Are you saying that maybe the barman who is looking at his phone and barely greeting the customers is probably not always there, so it's unfair to mark the pub down? If it was me, I would say the pub's owner needs to know what sort of service his customers are getting when he's not there. And you say the beer was mediocre, too. Or perhaps it just felt that way because of the lousy service?

I almost went in this pub in 2019, but when I took a photo I couldn't help noticing that it wasn't open - this was before Luton Town's game at Griffin Park. So I went to a few other pubs instead. One of them was Ealing Brewing Taproom, which is (or was) associated with the Owl & Pussycat, but maybe things have changed since then.
    Any review that is 5 or 6 years old can be taken with a pinch of salt as pubs change rapidly .I maybe emphasised to much the shit barman but the atmosphere in a silent pub with only a couple of customers is.a bignturn off for me.the beer is all brewed at Ealing brewer now but I just think it's very average compared to the great beers from around the country I get on the same night in the dodo,black dog and express.The.beer is the.same price as the other pubs because he thinks he is competing with Fullers rather than local pubs.Micro pubs when done well work but in this case I think it's a shambles

Quote Originally Posted by london calling View Post
    Any review that is 5 or 6 years old can be taken with a pinch of salt as pubs change rapidly .I maybe emphasised to much the shit barman but the atmosphere in a silent pub with only a couple of customers is.a bignturn off for me.the beer is all brewed at Ealing brewer now but I just think it's very average compared to the great beers from around the country I get on the same night in the dodo,black dog and express.The.beer is the.same price as the other pubs because he thinks he is competing with Fullers rather than local pubs.Micro pubs when done well work but in this case I think it's a shambles
    John - I see where you're coming from and I don't want to be seen to be having a go at you. I'm trying to write in the same tone of voice as if we were in a pub, much as you do.

I value your opinion on this micropub and the whole beer scene in the Ealing area - what I don't get is why you don't want to write a second review and tell everyone else about the change in this pub since you went there in 2016. When you were there (and Real Ale Ray not long after) it was "well worth a visit" - now it's gone down the pan.

Of course, any review that's more than a year or two old needs to treated with care and, as you said in an earlier post, it's all a bit of fun. I'm just saying if I'd had your positive experience of this place in 2016 and your negative experiences in 2021, I'd be writing a new review - let the old one stand, so people can see how far it's fallen, but write a new one so they can see what's become of it.
    Come On You Hatters!

This Space For Hire

[QUOTE=sheffield hatter;120810]John - I see where you're coming from and I don't want to be seen to be having a go at you. I'm trying to write in the same tone of voice as if we were in a pub, much as you do.

I value your opinion on this micropub and the whole beer scene in the Ealing area - what I don't get is why you don't want to write a second review and tell everyone else about the change in this pub since you went there in 2016. When you were there (and Real Ale Ray not long after) it was "well worth a visit" - now it's gone down the pan.

Of course, any review that's more than a year or two old needs to treated with care and, as you said in an earlier post, it's all a bit of fun. I'm just saying if I'd had your positive experience of this place in 2016 and your negative experiences in 2021, I'd be writing a new review - let the old one stand, so people can see how far it's fallen, but write a new one so they can see what's become of it.[/QUOTE⁰
    Let them decide for themselves
    Others may like it .My brothers local in Dundee is.a minger and I would rate on this site as a 2 but due to the welcome,the vibe,the characters that drink there the £3 a pint guinnessand everything that goes into being a good local it would be a 9 but that's not how a stranger would persieve it. So we look at things differently in the same pub depending on our experience but the fabric of the pub doesn't change..cheers john

Quote Originally Posted by london calling View Post
    Let them decide for themselves
    Others may like it .My brothers local in Dundee is.a minger and I would rate on this site as a 2 but due to the welcome,the vibe,the characters that drink there the £3 a pint guinnessand everything that goes into being a good local it would be a 9 but that's not how a stranger would persieve it. So we look at things differently in the same pub depending on our experience but the fabric of the pub doesn't change..cheers john

Of course it's about the experience, and I'll often increase my score accordingly. That's why I'm intrigued that you're not adding a new review to the O&P. You were so keen on the pub when you first went there, and now it's your worst pub experience of 2021!
    Come On You Hatters!