Ads not shown when logged in
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Worst Pub of the Year 2021

Quote Originally Posted by Mobyduck View Post
    Maybe but it would still be rubbish with or without cask.
    I still say you should have gone for the cake.
    Come On You Hatters!

Quote Originally Posted by sheffield hatter View Post
    I still say you should have gone for the cake.
    It would have been preferable.
    "Everybody's got to believe in something. I believe I'll have another beer."
    -W.C.Fields

This Space For Hire

Quote Originally Posted by london calling View Post
    rated 1
    Not 8?

Another rotten clunker from last year I forgot about: Running Horse

Just Missed the Round

Quote Originally Posted by Tris39 View Post
    Another rotten clunker from last year I forgot about: Running Horse
    Sounds like it's very badly managed.

This Space For Hire

Quote Originally Posted by bcfczuluarmy View Post
    Only poor pub at present in my view is any pub where you feel like you shouldn't be in there without asking nicely that they can accommodate you as only popping in for a pint.
    I've been in many pubs where I've only had a half, paid for it at the bar with my card, then sat down at a table and drank it at my leisure. I've never been made to feel unwelcome. If you've been made to feel that way in any pubs, maybe you should list them on this thread.
    The Chelsea Pig - this is the type of place where they have Front of House at a lectern by the door and you have to ask if you can just have a drink. The response here was 'Of course. The bar's over there'.

This Space For Hire

Not now but you can only rate it once .So the score stays.

Not now but you can only rate it once .So the score stays.
    Why can't you review it again and give it a different rating? There is nothing in the site rules or the code to stop you. (I know that some reviewers habitually go back and edit a previous review, but I think this is wrong because we then lose the historic rating and also the original review appears out of sequence and is buried in the revision.)
    Come On You Hatters!

This Space For Hire

Why can't you review it again and give it a different rating? There is nothing in the site rules or the code to stop you. (I know that some reviewers habitually go back and edit a previous review, but I think this is wrong because we then lose the historic rating and also the original review appears out of sequence and is buried in the revision.)
    I think you can only rate what you find on the day.I notice others seem to drop a pubs score if they have bad service or a cask beer is duff but if they were in the next day the service and beer might have been a lot better so they would have rated it higher.Its just a bit of fun after all.

I think you can only rate what you find on the day.I notice others seem to drop a pubs score if they have bad service or a cask beer is duff but if they were in the next day the service and beer might have been a lot better so they would have rated it higher.Its just a bit of fun after all.
    John, that's an argument for not using the scoring system at all, which I would respect.

When you were in The Owl & The Pussycat in 2016 you thought it was really good, but then in 2021 you were there again on three occasions and thought it was so crappy that you made it your worst pub of the year. You say "you can only rate what you find on the day", which is quite right - you can't write a review based on what someone told you, or on what the pub's reputation is. Trouble is, your review from 2016 says this pub's really good. Now you think it's not so good.

As a reviewer, you would help the users of the site if you said so in a review. Are you saying that maybe the barman who is looking at his phone and barely greeting the customers is probably not always there, so it's unfair to mark the pub down? If it was me, I would say the pub's owner needs to know what sort of service his customers are getting when he's not there. And you say the beer was mediocre, too. Or perhaps it just felt that way because of the lousy service?

I almost went in this pub in 2019, but when I took a photo I couldn't help noticing that it wasn't open - this was before Luton Town's game at Griffin Park. So I went to a few other pubs instead. One of them was Ealing Brewing Taproom, which is (or was) associated with the Owl & Pussycat, but maybe things have changed since then.
    Come On You Hatters!

The Bathurst Arms, North Cerney Cirencester. They had the audacity to charge nigh on £50, for two plates of leftovers masquerading as Sunday lunch.
    Last edited by Lady Grey; 07-01-2022 at 21:43.