Ads not shown when logged in
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Worst Pub of the Year 2021

The Green and
    The Catford Bridge Tavern were about The worst pubs from memory, I may have given a lower score than the 4 they both got somewhere but I'm not going back through them all to check.
    "Everybody's got to believe in something. I believe I'll have another beer."
    -W.C.Fields

This Space For Hire

Quote Originally Posted by NickDavies View Post
    Been past any number of times due to proximity to the JR and occasionally been tempted to kill an hour there rather than sitting in the car with a petrol station sandwich.

Just as well that temptation was resisted.
    I've glided past countless times on the bus nearing 30 years (and last Wednesday) and it must be the least appealing pub with an OX postcode. Reviewed in September, I can't imagine how much worse it must be when filled with the hoards of students from Brooke's over the road.

This Space For Hire

I've been to so many bad pubs this year it's hard to keep count, but here's a reasonable selection:

Most pretentious: The Chelsea Pig
    Weirdest: Royal Sovereign
    Nearly the worst: The Shakespeare
    Not really a pub: The Phene
    Rudest: The Orange
    What have they done here?: The Wilton Arms

And the winner goes to: The Victoria
    Last edited by Tris39; 04-01-2022 at 19:36.

Quote Originally Posted by Tris39 View Post
    And the winner goes to: The Victoria
    "... it was the bottom of the barrel, the barmaid taking about 20 grabs at the pump to fill my half pint glass, relieving me of £2.70 in the process. This is the least favourable GK experience I’ve ever had, so I’m off for good." Wow! Does this mean you've barred yourself from all Greene King pubs across the whole country, Tris?
    Come On You Hatters!

Quote Originally Posted by sheffield hatter View Post
    That's good news.
    Not sure it's good news to be honest.

The place needs a change of ownership to be sure but it won't be "good news" if it never opens again.

I for one really hope it gets a new lease of life because it has been a fine pub over the years and would be a sad loss to the area.

I am a salmon !!

Quote Originally Posted by Delboy20 View Post
    Not sure it's good news to be honest.

The place needs a change of ownership to be sure but it won't be "good news" if it never opens again.

I for one really hope it gets a new lease of life because it has been a fine pub over the years and would be a sad loss to the area.
    Yes, obv I didn't mean it was good news that it was shut! It's good news that the pubco has realised that the person running it was not doing a good enough job and is now looking for someone else. It's a beautiful building, outside and in, and it would be a major surprise if no one of above average ability came forward to take it on.
    Come On You Hatters!

Just Missed the Round

Do you all have really good memories? Or is there a way of pulling your reviews for the year and sorting by lowest score given?

I have had some disappointing experiences this year, but where I felt it would be unfair to criticise too much (eg pub only just re-opened after lockdown and finding its feet, or pub didn't fare well compared to previous positive visits so I put it down to a one-off) I tended not to leave a rating anyway, so perhaps that would miss some contenders from my own visits.

Quote Originally Posted by RealAleRobUK View Post
    Do you all have really good memories? Or is there a way of pulling your reviews for the year and sorting by lowest score given?

I have had some disappointing experiences this year, but where I felt it would be unfair to criticise too much (eg pub only just re-opened after lockdown and finding its feet, or pub didn't fare well compared to previous positive visits so I put it down to a one-off) I tended not to leave a rating anyway, so perhaps that would miss some contenders from my own visits.
    I log all mine on an xls as I go, I suspect that's also true of others. I am unaware of there being any functionality to pull your own stats out of the site direct (would be nice though!)

Just Missed the Round

Quote Originally Posted by Quinno View Post
    I log all mine on an xls as I go, I suspect that's also true of others. I am unaware of there being any functionality to pull your own stats out of the site direct (would be nice though!)
    Aha, thank you! Just thought maybe I was missing something obvious. I guess perhaps you and others use the same method for keeping track of 'new' pubs visited each year ("New pub visits" threads)? I did wonder but never got round to asking!

Waterborne Beer Inspector Bucking Fastard's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Pubsignman View Post
    No contest this year

The Phoenix, Shepherds Bush
    A quite brilliant review of an awful pub,great work PSM.Rather you than me.
    "Good people drink good beer" Hunter S Thompson