Ads not shown when logged in
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Are pub reviews 'accurate'?

Default Are pub reviews 'accurate'?

Is reviewing pubs a chore at times?
    I hope that Andy Ven doesn't mind me pinching one of his posts:

"Are you still enjoying it or have you felt like it's a chore at times?"

I'm going to slighty change the context Mr V's post and refer it to visiting pubs that you would never have ventured into and regretted or writing a review on a pub/bar that is objective even though writing a comment on the place was more effort than the manager of said pub/bar had probably put in for months.
    - Strongers

I have just been reading the thread about whether or not pub reviews are a chore and I was going to put this as a response on that thread, but decided that I was really making a separate point.

I enjoy writing reviews of pubs that I have visited, especially if it hasn't been reviewed before or not for a long time. But am I, or we, giving an accurate reflection of that pub if we are reviewing after just one visit or even one drink?

I reviewed a number of pubs from my holiday in Norfolk recently. All but one I visited once and will probably not be visiting again because of the distance. So how can I be sure that I am really giving a fair reflection of that pub?

If I am in and out in 20 mins, then I may be missing important shifts in atmosphere, clientele and beer quality that regulars will obviously know.

An example of this is the Queslett, my local Ember Inn. I have had a debate with a mate of mine who has been in a couple of times who by nature hates this type of pub. I often go in and the beer selection regularly changes, is extremely well-kept and has friendly and knowledgeable staff, many of whom have been there for at least 3 years. They even employ older bar staff, one of whom seems to be able to pour the perfect pint without any of it going over the rim. This makes it an absolute pleasure to frequent.

If I don't regularly go to a pub before I review it, I can only give a snapshot which may be very unfair. I was in the Old Post Office in Shrewsbury which served a good pint of Banks's Bitter, but the pub smelled of chip fat and it put me off. This could have led to a bad review from me, but might have been caused by a kitchen problem just before I went in and may never be repeated.

This will never put me off reviewing, but makes me cautious.

I usually put the time of visit in my review and state that I had a half or pint or two so people can put into context my comments. I also try to focus more on the pub facilities which I imagine do not change between shifts. There's no point saying that a pub was dead if visiting at 11am and if I mention that the pub was full of diners I will also say if it was a lunchtime visit etc.

A point could be made that bad service shouldn't be mentioned as you may have caught the bar person on a bad day, but a mystery shopper or official checking the law is being upheld will not take this into account.
    WE ARE THE BREADMEN - UP THE BEES

These reviews are, by their nature, subjective so will only ever be as "accurate" as the writer can be where what he is writing is an opinion based on one or more observations. Provided there is no factual inaccuracy, I have no problem with this, and in fact it adds to the fun in some ways.

I have noticed that recently, for example, Soupy and I have reviewed some of the same pubs in Stafford over the same few weeks, and while I think we have written similar opinions on many, we have disagreed on others. Since our reviews are both objective and honest, and since we are different people, it would be odd if that were not the case.

What improves the "accuracy" in this sense, I believe, is that over time multiple reviews, even where different in their levels of praise or condemnation of a pub, will build up a picture which can only be realised by the reader's visiting and seeing for himself (sorry Gillhalfpint, or herself). That's part of the fun of it.

I'd go along with Strongers that you can describe the time of day and day of the week, how busy it was etc during your visit to add context.

What's important is that your contribution, whenever you visit, is better than nothing at all.
    Waes hael!

We're not really 'ere! trainman's Avatar

You can only report what you find, and if that's poor service, or no beer, or hostile locals, then so be it - I want to know about that stuff when forming an opinion on which pubs I might like to visit or not. We can only provide our views & opinions of pubs at the time of a visit (when it's 'accurate'), and speculation about what it may be like at other times or occasions should play virtually no part. I know whose (re)views & opinions I highly value here, and bless 'em for directive guidance over several years touring....

Fully paid up beer belly Farway's Avatar

Agree with most points made, and as many of the pubs on here have no reviews at all then anything is better than nothing I reckon

Most of my visits are lunchtimes, and I mostly say so, often adding words such as "music on Friday nights" for instance if it is advertised in the pub, evening trade is often vastly different to lunchtime / afternoon

Regarding point made about mystery shoppers etc, I guess same goes for Michelin or other restaurant critics, AA hotel inspectors even, and even job interviews. To my mind an impression is just that, and that is what any stranger walking in off the street will get, and make their mind up in few minutes.

I can't disagree with anything said so far, most of the regulars write "accurate" reviews in so far as it's an honest representation of what we see, taste and feel on the day. Like they say about MOTs - only really valid on the day it was done. It is useful to put in something about day and time but I don't always remember or find it fits with the rest of the review.

I usually do a different style of review for a "virgin" than one that's been reviewed before unless previous reviews are of the minimalist school or the " 'nuff said" variety (although I have done one those as a virgin review, but the bar in question did deserve it).

I try to be much more objective on a "virgin" and stick to a simple description with not too much "editorial", it kicks things off on a more positive note. I have noticed we're getting a few more " the food was crap" type reviews from one off-ers lately.

Generally, a good pub is good at any time of day in terms of:

-Selection and quality of drinks
    -Staff attitude
    -Cleanliness
    -Décor
    -Prices (outside happy hour)

Any others?

The only thing that does change over the day is the 'atmosphere' - itself an intangible (and highly personal) thing.

Whilst I might only be in the pub 20mins whilst I drain a half, I like to think I can gather together a relatively clear impression of whether (all things remaining equal) I'd either want to go back or whether I'd make suer I did next time I was in the area.
    Last edited by Quinno; 27-08-2010 at 13:18. Reason: mangled syntax

Quote Originally Posted by Quinno View Post
    Whilst I might only be in the pub 20mins whilst I drain a half, I like to think I can gather together a relatively clear impression of whether (all things remaining equal) I'd either want to go back or whether I'd make suer I did next time I was in the area.
    On which note, how's the Boadicea review coming on? Please don't tell me I wasted 20 minutes of my life taking you there for no reason.

Quote Originally Posted by RogerB View Post
    On which note, how's the Boadicea review coming on? Please don't tell me I wasted 20 minutes of my life taking you there for no reason.
    Don't worry it will appear eventually - only 75 pages of old BITE reviews to update and migrate first!