Ads not shown when logged in
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Beer of the Week (w/e 5 September 2010)

This Space For Hire aleandhearty's Avatar

A quite exceptional seven days for me, managing to try 37 different beers. However, as 13 of them were eligible for last week's BOTW, that mean's I've only got 24 to choose from!

The front runners were Fernandes 'Any Porter in a Storm', WharfeBank 'Celtic Glory', Riverhead 'Brewsters Blonde' and Townhouse 'Centennial': A superb clean tasting, hoppy beer. Definitely BOTW.
    'And where he supped the past lived still. And where he sipped the glass brimmed full' John Barleycorn, Carol Ann Duffy.

I'm not quite sure whether I would want to drink another pint of it, but my beer of the week is the Limeburner's Special produced by Dark Star for the 'Ale at Amberley' festival. This curious, cloudy, golden 6.7% concoction is a one-off blend of Paradise Weiss (5.0%) and their Triple (8.5%), and an unusual experience to say the least...

Actually, most of the other Sussex micro-brewers fielded at least one special, with honourable mentions going to King's Single Hop WGV and Ballards Roger's Mild.

I'll stay on me own

My beer of the week is Peak Ales Chatsworth Gold which i had in a couple of pubs yesterday,the Peak Ales Swift Nick was a close second.

Also a new beer to me was Buxton Moor Top this was very light in colour but did'nt taste of much.

Wandering, or wondering, or wandering in.

I was going to for the half of Hogs Back Aromas over Tongham that I finished off a Bank Holiday pub crawl with - although it's probably true to say that it finished me off

However my BotW this week is Oakham Musashi
    I've just joined Alcoholics Anonymous - I still drink, just under a different name.

Quote Originally Posted by rpadam View Post
    I'm not quite sure whether I would want to drink another pint of it, but my beer of the week is the Limeburner's Special produced by Dark Star for the 'Ale at Amberley' festival. This curious, cloudy, golden 6.7% concoction is a one-off blend of Paradise Weiss (5.0%) and their Triple (8.5%), and an unusual experience to say the least...

Actually, most of the other Sussex micro-brewers fielded at least one special, with honourable mentions going to King's Single Hop WGV and Ballards Roger's Mild.
    I went to the Amberley Fest last year, and enjoyed a dark star "Limeburners"-not as esoteric as this time, seemingly!
    We went to the Smallhythe Place Beer and Music festival last night, and my two best beers were Lemon Blossom from Hornbeam, and Dickie Doodle from Cumbrian Legendary. After due consideration, my vote goes to Hornbeam's Lemon Blossomfor its refreshing balance of sweetness and hoppiness, perfect for a summer evening.I could have drunk it all night, but didn't, purely in the interests of research.

Not a particularly varied week for beers. Had my third stab at Jaipur IPA on Saturday and I still find it awful. The local pubs had a poor choice over the weekend including the 2 'Spoons but one pleasant surprise was that one of my local Youngs pubs had 2 guests - almost unheard of. One was Tribute and the other Butcombe Bitter so the latter will do it for me this week as BotW.

Quote Originally Posted by RogerB View Post
    Had my third stab at Jaipur IPA on Saturday and I still find it awful.
    I don't find it awful, but I really don't get all the hype and the rave reviews.

I will have a pint of it if there's nothing more original on the bar, but one is enough and I'd usually go for something else, given the choice.
    A pub is for life not just for Christmas

Quote Originally Posted by RogerB View Post
    Had my third stab at Jaipur IPA on Saturday and I still find it awful.
    Quote Originally Posted by ROBCamra View Post
    I don't find it awful, but I really don't get all the hype and the rave reviews.
    I'll be honest, I've only ever tried it once (twice actually but the second time I was too far gone to be objective) and I rather liked it. I seem to recall it being a real 'marmite' beer.
    'And where he supped the past lived still. And where he sipped the glass brimmed full' John Barleycorn, Carol Ann Duffy.

My BOTW is Brewster's Hophead, which seems to be a semi-regular at the George in Croydon. It edges out Titanic Anchor and Triple fff The Bitter End, both of which were worthy contenders.

I'm also fairly indifferent to Jaipur. I think Thornbridge make other much nicer beers. I'd rather have a pint of Wild Swan any day.

Quote Originally Posted by Pubsignman View Post
    My BOTW is Brewster's Hophead, which seems to be a semi-regular at the George in Croydon.
    I love Brewster's beers. Tried 'Decadence' which was absolutely superb and another whose name escapes me. Not tried 'Hophead' though.