Visit the Shut up about Barclay Perkins site

Just realised that I didn't publish a recipe on Wednesday. For the first time in many years. Apologies for that. I got carried away with Brazil.
The original Pale Ale brewed at Chiswell Street back in the 1860s was, rather unimaginatively, called simply Pale Ale. It was a beer Whitbread would brew for a very long time.

In terms of gravity, it’s very similar in strength to other top-class pale Ales, such as Barclay Perkins PA and Fullers IPA. Not really surprising, as they were competing in the same market.

The recipe is quite similar, too, consisting of around 80% base malt and 20% sugar. No adjuncts. That was a continuing theme with Whitbread, other than in wartime.

Three types of English hops were employed, one from the 1880 harvest and two from 1881. All pretty fresh, as you would expect in an expensive, hop-accented beer like this. And rather a lot of them. I’ve guessed Fuggles and Goldings for the varieties.

The bitterness level – and the FG – would have fallen by the time it was served. This was a Stock Pale, destined fir extensive ageing, probably at least 9 months.

1881 Whitbread PA
pale malt 9.25 lb 80.43%
No. 1 invert sugar 2.25 lb 19.57%
Fuggles 90 mins 2.75 oz
Fuggles 60 mins 2.75 oz
Goldings 30 mins 2.75 oz
Goldings dry hops 1.00 oz
OG 1057
FG 1015
ABV 5.56
Apparent attenuation 73.68%
IBU 94