Visit the Paul Bailey's Beer Blog site

I received an email yesterday morning, from CAMRA HQ, which is a copy of the press release, planned for on 12th November. The communication celebrates the publication of the Good Beer Guide 2022, which hits the bookshops tomorrow - Friday. The release takes pain to point out that the news is under embargo until one minute after midnight on 12th November. Hand on heart, I can categorically state I am not going to spill the beans about what the release contains, even though to my mind, it contains nothing particularly sensational or noteworthy. The release of what is now the 49th Good Beer Guide, is obviously an important moment for CAMRA,even though the major milestone won’t be until next year, when the GBG will celebrate its half-century.
I am not giving much away by saying that the guide contains some interesting statistics, which don’t detract from its main purpose, which is to direct users to the cream of the nation’s pubs, bars, tap-rooms, and clubs. There are 4,500 of these and the fact that any of them appear at all, is testament to the hard work put in by local CAMRA branches, across the country, in managing to collect, assess and collate the necessary information during a time of lockdowns and other Covid-related restrictions.
As to be expected, the message contained in the press release, is written with a forward-looking and optimistic tone. Again, it doesn’t shy away from the main purpose of the GBG, although if I’m honest, it does gloss over the enormous contribution that all CAMRA branches make towards the success of the Guide. I know, from regular contact with members of my former branch, that an incredible amount of work goes into the production of the GBG, with surveying and then selecting those pubs worthy of entry. The work doesn’t stop there as a considerable amount of checking and proof-reading, is necessary, before the Guide can go to press. This vital contribution, from members – who are all unpaid volunteers, is an aspect that the CAMRA bigwigs often overlook, and one that has long been one of my main beefs with the Campaign.
I received the press release, despite the fact I am no longer a CAMRA member, after resigning from the organisation exactly two yearsago! The Campaign has obviously not updated its data base or mailing list, which doesn’t seem a very wise or responsible thing for any subscription-based organisation to do. Although unlikely, there remains a possibility that a number of unscrupulous ex-members, people potentially with an axe to grind, might just be tempted to cause the odd bit of mischief by breaking the news embargo. Of course, one could argue that as the same email will have been sent out to most of CAMRA’s 180,000 members, the chances are that one or two of them might just spill the beans, intentionally or otherwise.
As with any event of this nature, timing is of the essence, and an element of surprise not only helps the story but adds a sense of excitement to the proceedings. I’m probably reading far more into this than is actually there, but it would be a shame if someone out of sheer spite, decided to take the wind out of the sails behind the Guide’s official launch, by raining on CAMRA’s parade. There is one particular I can reveal, without doing any of the above, as it is one which I am sure comes as no surprise to seasoned CAMRAobservers. That news item is, the Campaign seems as obsessed as ever with new breweries. Amazingly, their number has continued to rise, despite the hardships of lock-downs plus the trials and tribulations affecting the licensed trade.
This makes no sense given the many issues which affect the UK economy, ranging from supply issues to lack of staff. Whilst the UK government’s foolhardy and damaging hard Brexit, is responsible for many of these issues, well-meaning but ultimately naïve people seeking to flood an already over-crowded beer market, aren’t exactly helping things either. CAMRA would, in my opinion, be better off concentrating its efforts elsewhere, but to all those looking forward to the new Guide, and to visiting some of the pubs it recommends, good reading, and happy hunting!
Footnote: I won’t be investing in a physical copy of the Guide, come release day, although there’s every chance I will purchase the updated app version.

Follow Blog via EmailClick to follow this blog and receive notifications of new posts by email.

More...