Ads not shown when logged in
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Re: Opening Hours whinge

Default Re: Opening Hours whinge

Unable to reply directly to the suggestion from oldboots in the Report a Review thread that the latest review of Boar & Fable should be repressed, but just wanted to say that although it is a bit of a whinge about the pub not being open when it could reasonably have been expected to be, I don't think it is too over the top and it's from a reviewer in our top 50, so I would rather see it stay.

I can remember writing something similar about a micropub a few years back - it's very frustrating if you have checked available info and find that a pub is not open when it should be. In Macclesfield last week one pub out of many that I wanted to visit had three different opening times (on their own website, on Facebook and on WhatPub). When I messaged them to ask which was correct it turned out to be WhatPub, but probably more by luck than good info. (When they subsequently tried to change the Facebook listing, the pub ended up "Temporarily Closed"!)
    Come On You Hatters!

The number of reviews someone has posted really doesn't have any bearing on whither or not a review is pointless drivel.

This one is pointless and adds zero to this site, moan at WhatPub, Google or the Pub itself by all means but foot stamping like this doesn't belong here.

We're not really 'ere! trainman's Avatar

I'm with Will on this one ob, commenting that a pub's opening hours are not to be trusted is pretty key info, imo. I wouldn't grade this as foot-stomping, seems pretty tame to me...

Quote Originally Posted by oldboots View Post
    The number of reviews someone has posted really doesn't have any bearing on whither or not a review is pointless drivel.
    I have to disagree with you about that. Someone who has posted 500+ reviews has shown a certain commitment to the site and if they have not posted 500 lots of foot-stamping drivel then presumably they are to be trusted by and large. And for someone who has taken the trouble to check Google, Facebook and WhatPub only to find the pub not open, this review seems fairly restrained to me.
    Come On You Hatters!

Drivel remains drivel regardless of who writes it and that includes me and even you.

I might have had some sympathy if the pub had advertised its opening hours and then not met them - not the case here as the pub didn't advertise its opening hours; I might have had even more sympathy if the reviewer had travelled miles to a remote pub on the basis of hours advertised by the pub - definitely not the case here as North Parade is probably the most densely pubbed street in Bradford and once again the PUB didn't advertise its opening hours. I'll also repeat that What Pub has a caveat about opening hours and if we all whinged in reviews about every pub where the pub didn't advertise its hours and sources the pub doesn't control had them wrong we'd have a lot of pointless reviews wrongly blaming the pub.

We've all had occasions when a pub hasn't been open when expected, most of us are grown up enough to shrug and go somewhere else, not have a whinge about it on a pub review site.

Coincidentally, I've had a couple of conversations recently about information available about pubs, and I have come round to the view that a responsible pub operator would make a point of checking what information is out there about their pub.

If I was running a pub I would make a point of checking at least once a week on Google, Trip Adviser, WhatPub, Facebook and maybe even Pubs Galore. It's easy for one or more of those to have a glitch (like Facebook did when the Brewers Arms in Macc tried to correct their opening hours), so why would you allow inaccurate information about your business to stay out there when it's fairly easy to correct. Same with bad reviews on Trip Adviser, etc; if there's a right of reply option, why leave someone's gripe unanswered.

As a provider of a service, it seems strange to allow false information about that service to remain available to potential customers. Too many pub owners seem to be content (like the guy at that micro in Allestree in 2017) to just shrug their shoulders and say "sorry". Better, surely, to be prepared and keep your customers happy, rather than saying sorry when you don't really mean it.

You seem to be saying that not advertising the hours should protect a pub owner from criticism if someone turns up and finds the pub not open. Why would a pub not advertise its opening hours? Back in the day when it was always 12 to 2.30 and 5.30 to 10.30 or whatever, I could understand not bothering to advertise hours, but that's not been the case for 30 years or more. I take your point about there being lots of pubs nearby, so the reviewer shouldn't be too disappointed; and indeed my reading of Rob Hunter's note is that he intends to return at some time. Once again, this doesn't feel like foot-stamping nonsense to me.
    Come On You Hatters!

Pubs should absoloutely be checking and updating the info about their pubs as Will says, however many seem incapable of even updating their own websites so I'm not holding my breath.
    "Everybody's got to believe in something. I believe I'll have another beer."
    -W.C.Fields

This Space For Hire

Quote Originally Posted by Mobyduck View Post
    Pubs should absoloutely be checking and updating the info about their pubs as Will says, however many seem incapable of even updating their own websites so I'm not holding my breath.
    Yup. Agree entirely. Some places are incredibly lax about updating their opening times, some still claiming that they are closing seven days a week at 22.00! I think that sometimes they assume that visitors have popped in from around the corner, not appreciating that some people make a real effort to visit. I wouldn't blame What?ub though; perhaps pubs should have the brains to update What?ub - if I can do it, so can they.
    Then again, perhaps they've closed due to immediate unforeseen circumstances.

This Space For Hire

Quote Originally Posted by Tris39 View Post
    perhaps pubs should have the brains to update What?ub - if I can do it, so can they.
    Then again, perhaps they've closed due to immediate unforeseen circumstances.
    Sometimes getting What?ub updated is easier said than done. More than once I've got the automated reply but no further progress made.

This Space For Hire Real Ale Ray's Avatar

I had a similar experience to Will when I tried to visit the The Bald Buzzard Ale House in Leighton Buzzard, only to find a sign on the door with different times than had been advertised online. I had to go all the way back to Hemel Hempstead to kill some time and go back to Leighton Buzzard, just to tick this one pub.

The owner wasn't having any of it when I asked him about the opening times and insisted that everything was correct online.
    Last edited by Real Ale Ray; 08-11-2021 at 19:22.
    'I only drink on two occasions, when I'm thirsty and when I'm not'
    Brendan Behan