Ads not shown when logged in
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Serendipitous Moment of the Week

Default Serendipitous Moment of the Week

As a counterpoint to Disappointment of the Week, although possibly less fun, a place to post things which have been better than expected.

I haven't been able to find a word which is the opposite, or antonym as my young daughter tells me, of disappointment, hence nice surprise.

With a big thank you to Mr. Trainman for title change suggestion.

My nice surprise of last week was Tring Sidepocket for a Toad which I remember as being an incredibly dull, even for the category, BBB, malty and sweet with no discernible hops at 3.6%. Having tried two or three last week in the vicinity of Tring, it has clearly improved and the brewery now describe it as having "unmistakeable citrus and floral notes". I'd go along with that although it is by no means overwhelmingly hoppy but a well balanced, refreshing and quaffable session ale.

Great work from Tring in turning a beer from 'one to avoid' to 'worth seeking out'.
    Last edited by Thuck Phat; 26-04-2016 at 17:14.

Quote Originally Posted by Thuck Phat View Post
    As a counterpoint to Disappointment of the Week, although possibly less fun, a place to post things which have been better than expected.

I haven't been able to find a word which is the opposite, or antonym as my young daughter tells me, of disappointment, hence nice surprise.

My nice surprise of last week was Tring Sidepocket for a Toad which I remember as being an incredibly dull, even for the category, BBB, malty and sweet with no discernible hops at 3.6%. Having tried two or three last week in the vicinity of Tring, it has clearly improved and the brewery now describe it as having "unmistakeable citrus and floral notes". I'd go along with that although it is by no means overwhelmingly hoppy but a well balanced, refreshing and quaffable session ale.

Great work from Tring in turning a beer from 'one to avoid' to 'worth seeking out'.
    Good idea for the thread, Charlie. I also had a couple of drinks of Side Pocket last week - see my Tring reviews. I thought Jack O'Legs was the Brown Bitter in the Tring stable? (I refuse to use the word Boring in the context of Tring beers.) Whatever, I agree with you that Side Pocket is "well balanced, refreshing and quaffable". I'm happy that it's not too hoppy, in the sense of citrus and floral notes, but I did note a pleasant lingering bitterness, particularly in the first of the day in the Anchor. Which pub, by the way, I would say is also "worth seeking out", though I see that Nev had a bad experience with a radio station - it was pleasantly quiet at the time of my visit.
    Come On You Hatters!

This Space For Hire

The Swan With Two Necks £2 a pint of Carling after £2 a pint can of Fosters in the The Russell Arms. All that well above the nice surprise of £6 for a pint of Brooklyn Lager in The Wild Duck Inn the other day, thankfully it wasn't my round...

Yes its lager but it still fits the criteria of the thread especially if those that have met me know what I drink.
    Last edited by bcfczuluarmy; 10-02-2016 at 00:42.

Quote Originally Posted by sheffield hatter View Post
    Good idea for the thread, Charlie. I also had a couple of drinks of Side Pocket last week - see my Tring reviews. I thought Jack O'Legs was the Brown Bitter in the Tring stable? (I refuse to use the word Boring in the context of Tring beers.) Whatever, I agree with you that Side Pocket is "well balanced, refreshing and quaffable". I'm happy that it's not too hoppy, in the sense of citrus and floral notes, but I did note a pleasant lingering bitterness, particularly in the first of the day in the Anchor. Which pub, by the way, I would say is also "worth seeking out", though I see that Nev had a bad experience with a radio station - it was pleasantly quiet at the time of my visit.
    Thanks Will. I'm afraid that my experience of The Anchor wasn't as good as yours but in the spirit of Nice Surprises I did enjoy The Castle which was ahead of any expectations.

This Space For Hire

My nice surprise was seeing 10 handpumps with nothing that really interested me and on a whim thought I would give Wadworth -6x a go for old times sake.Really enjoyable 2 pints.There is still room for the brown twiggy well made beers.

The Old Millwrights Arms, Aylesbury.

Previously a GK pub pretending to offer guests but riddled with various, disguised GK offerings but now with a genuine range of beer from local and national micros. A genuine surprise and a very pleasant one.

Irving Frigate, a beer I have had before from a brewery I don't rate, yet it was excellent, something to be said for drinking beer in its home town, what a nice surprise.
    "Everybody's got to believe in something. I believe I'll have another beer."
    -W.C.Fields

Charrington IPA 4.5% was excellent at Farnham Beerex yesterday, took me by surprise nicely.
    -W.C.Fields

We're not really 'ere! trainman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Thuck Phat View Post

Serendipity..?

Quote Originally Posted by trainman View Post
    Serendipity..?
    Nice word, a bit posh.
    -W.C.Fields