Ads not shown when logged in
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Re: Opening Hours whinge

I don't have a particular issue with it, there's at least some context. I've posted similar myself.

Quote Originally Posted by sheffield hatter View Post
    Coincidentally, I've had a couple of conversations recently about information available about pubs, and I have come round to the view that a responsible pub operator would make a point of checking what information is out there about their pub.

If I was running a pub I would make a point of checking at least once a week on Google, Trip Adviser, WhatPub, Facebook and maybe even Pubs Galore. It's easy for one or more of those to have a glitch (like Facebook did when the Brewers Arms in Macc tried to correct their opening hours), so why would you allow inaccurate information about your business to stay out there when it's fairly easy to correct. Same with bad reviews on Trip Adviser, etc; if there's a right of reply option, why leave someone's gripe unanswered.

As a provider of a service, it seems strange to allow false information about that service to remain available to potential customers. Too many pub owners seem to be content (like the guy at that micro in Allestree in 2017) to just shrug their shoulders and say "sorry". Better, surely, to be prepared and keep your customers happy, rather than saying sorry when you don't really mean it.

You seem to be saying that not advertising the hours should protect a pub owner from criticism if someone turns up and finds the pub not open. Why would a pub not advertise its opening hours? Back in the day when it was always 12 to 2.30 and 5.30 to 10.30 or whatever, I could understand not bothering to advertise hours, but that's not been the case for 30 years or more. I take your point about there being lots of pubs nearby, so the reviewer shouldn't be too disappointed; and indeed my reading of Rob Hunter's note is that he intends to return at some time. Once again, this doesn't feel like foot-stamping nonsense to me.
    Rather than straw men and specious arguments the point remains that Rob Hunter was brassed off by an error in opening hours published by third parties not the pub, so it seems a bit off to whinge about the pub. While it's desirable for pubs to monitor social media, etc I'm sure there are higher priorities. I suspect the convenience of pub tickers who pop in for a half spending all of £2 never to be seen again isn't that high a priority either.

Yes in a perfect world pubs would display their opening hours outside and on whatever social media they have the time to maintain. What Pub has the caveat probably because some branches are useless at updating the information, even if some kind soul tells them and there are not many of them, the information ought to be checked by someone going to the pub and asking someone who actually knows which is not usually the harassed staff. How you get Google to update their information I don't know and I doubt many publicans do either and don't have the time to find out. If you have a strong local trade and people visiting when pubs are usually open why would you need to show your hours?

The "review" is a fit of pique and aimed at the wrong target.
    Last edited by oldboots; 08-11-2021 at 20:31.

Quote Originally Posted by oldboots View Post
    If you have a strong local trade and people visiting when pubs are usually open why would you need to show your hours?
    Well, perhaps because the hours are different from when other pubs are usually open.

Opening times for pubs in the area around the Boar & Fable, taken from Facebook where available, otherwise WhatPub or their own website:
    Boar & Fable (WP) Friday 4.00 pm - Midnight (updated 7/11/21)
    The Sparrow Friday: 11:00 - 00:00
    Peacock Bar Friday: 12:00 - 01:00
    Crafted Friday: 12:00 - 00:30
    Plonk (WP) Friday 5.00 pm - 11.00 pm
    The Record Cafe Friday: 11:00 - 23:00
    Rumshackalack Friday: 10:00 - 01:00
    The Silver Fox (WS) Fri: 11:00 AM – 1:00 AM
    The Commercial Inn no info available

The "review" is a fit of pique and aimed at the wrong target.
    "Come on guys, it doesn't take much to put your opening hours on your Facebook page." Doesn't sound much like a fit of pique to me. More like helpful advice with a tinge of disappointment and maybe a soupçon of exasperation.

This from their Facebook page last Thursday at 16:32. It’s already Pint O’Clock, you know it, we know it - see you down here! In fact, they seem to post on Facebook most days soon after opening, though they're less active on Twitter.

I've now found their website, which they haven't linked to from FB but there's a photo of a board with it on (weird) - https://www.boarandfable.com/ and this shows their opening times! They seem like nice guys (or is it just one guy?), with a lovely pub and superb beers, and no doubt they have good reasons for not opening until 4pm on Fridays (like, it's a long time until 1am).

No doubt Rob Hunter will go back one day and write a review.
    Come On You Hatters!

Avoiding the point again!

You can huff and puff as much as you like but you’ll never convince me that it’s acceptable to moan about a pub over the actions of third parties. It’s an odd belief to hold but in a country with daft anti-vaxxers and tin-foil hat wearing loonies demonstrating about 5G I suppose it’s only to be expected.

you’ll never convince me that it’s acceptable to moan about a pub over the actions of third parties.
    Tend to agree with this.

It's happened to me on a couple of occasions recently, which I still put down to pubs finding their way through the pandemic. I've taken to giving a pub a call if I'm making a special journey which has always worked.
    "Beer is food." Morse, Colin Dexter

...you’ll never convince me that it’s acceptable to moan about a pub over the actions of third parties. It’s an odd belief to hold but in a country with daft anti-vaxxers and tin-foil hat wearing loonies demonstrating about 5G I suppose it’s only to be expected.
    I respect your right to stick to your guns, but I don't accept your categorisation of Rob Hunter's review as "drivel", a "whinge", a "fit of pique" or a "moan". I see it as a reasonable reaction to a situation where available information suggested the pub would be open. This view appears to have gained some support from others who have posted on this thread, while you remain unconvinced.

I have many years of experience in delivering customer service, even more years as a customer, and now more than 11 years of writing reviews on this site. I gave careful thought to this subject even before you raised your objection to the review on the Boar & Fable page. In my post @6 above I wrote "As a provider of a service, it seems strange to allow false information about that service to remain available to potential customers. Better, surely, to be prepared and keep your customers happy, rather than saying sorry when you don't really mean it." If you disagree with this, please say why - don't try to falsely equate my views with those of "daft anti-vaxxers and tin-foil hat wearing loonies demonstrating about 5G".

This has been fun, especially the bit about anti-vaxxers, but no doubt others are getting a little tired of it by now. Perhaps we could continue over a beer or two?
    Come On You Hatters!

I respect your right to stick to your guns, but I don't accept your categorisation of Rob Hunter's review as "drivel", a "whinge", a "fit of pique" or a "moan". I see it as a reasonable reaction to a situation where available information suggested the pub would be open. This view appears to have gained some support from others who have posted on this thread, while you remain unconvinced.

I have many years of experience in delivering customer service, even more years as a customer, and now more than 11 years of writing reviews on this site. I gave careful thought to this subject even before you raised your objection to the review on the Boar & Fable page. In my post @6 above I wrote "As a provider of a service, it seems strange to allow false information about that service to remain available to potential customers. Better, surely, to be prepared and keep your customers happy, rather than saying sorry when you don't really mean it." If you disagree with this, please say why - don't try to falsely equate my views with those of "daft anti-vaxxers and tin-foil hat wearing loonies demonstrating about 5G".

This has been fun, especially the bit about anti-vaxxers, but no doubt others are getting a little tired of it by now. Perhaps we could continue over a beer or two?

As you’re still unable or unwilling to address the basic point I’m certainly not going to waste my time on here or anywhere else on this any longer. Feel free to have the last word, I know you like to.

Get out and have a pint, It's no big deal either side of the argument.
    "Everybody's got to believe in something. I believe I'll have another beer."
    -W.C.Fields

This Space For Hire Real Ale Ray's Avatar

If the two of you decide to meet up for a beer, please check the opening times before you leave the house
    'I only drink on two occasions, when I'm thirsty and when I'm not'
    Brendan Behan

This Space For Hire

I think the lesson here is make sure there's a Wetherspoons nearby...