Ads not shown when logged in
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Dog Friendly Pubs

My dog loves going to the boozer and seeing his various mates and tolerates both me and anyone else who goes in for a drink.
    "Beer is food." Morse, Colin Dexter

Quote Originally Posted by Thuck Phat View Post
    My dog loves going to the boozer and seeing his various mates and tolerates both me and anyone else who goes in for a drink.
    That's as it should be.
    Come On You Hatters!

Dogs are like people, some are nice and some aren't, a lot of which is down to the owners.
    "Everybody's got to believe in something. I believe I'll have another beer."
    -W.C.Fields

This Space For Hire

Quote Originally Posted by sheffield hatter View Post
    I guess it depends on whether you like dogs or not.

Why do dog owners assume that everyone loves their dog - any dog?
    My mate always brings his dog along and gets uppity if we can't get into a place, but 'Stanley' is a big thing and very inquisitive, wandering all over. Luckily, we've always had positive support.

I was in the Prince Alfred a couple of years ago and a local woman's dog - 'Bill' - kept wandering into my stall, growling and yapping at me. She popped her head round and said 'Don't worry. He's really friendly!'; friendly or not, it was bloody irritating.

Quote Originally Posted by Tris39 View Post
    I was in the Prince Alfred a couple of years ago and a local woman's dog - 'Bill' - kept wandering into my stall, growling and yapping at me. She popped her head round and said 'Don't worry. He's really friendly!'; friendly or not, it was bloody irritating.
    We some trouble in the village club a while back with a couple bring their yappy little bow-wow in. Unfortunately, one of them was on the management committee and it took a while for it to sink in how irritating most other people found it.

This Space For Hire Real Ale Ray's Avatar

My experience of pub dogs....

Malt Disley
    'I only drink on two occasions, when I'm thirsty and when I'm not'
    Brendan Behan

This Space For Hire

Quote Originally Posted by Real Ale Ray View Post
    My experience of pub dogs....

Malt Disley
    Yup. That takes the biscuit!

What I don't like is when dogs jump up on seats and pub their bare bums on them.

Quote Originally Posted by Tris39 View Post
    What I don't like is when dogs jump up on seats and pub their bare bums on them.
    I was in the Albion in Kingston a couple of weeks ago - a great dog-friendly pub - and having bought a pint, I went and sat at the only free table I could find, next to a couple with a border collie. As soon as my backside hit the seat, the dog, which had clearly just come in from the rain outside, leapt up and plonked its sopping wet self, bare bum and all, in my lap! The owners couldn't have cared less and wouldn't address me when I made it clear this was not acceptable, communicating instead indirectly via some pathetic admonishments to the dog.

I've also recently seen a few dog owners standing at the bar and allowing their dogs to put their front legs on the bar counter, which I don't ever recall seeing before but I've seen it happen in two or three pubs this year. One of them was even eating treats off the bar counter that his owner was putting up there for it.

The worst thing I think I ever saw from a dog in a pub was in a rural pub near Croydon where we'd gone for a Sunday roast. The family next to us had a golden retriever with them who was asleep under their table through the entire course of our meal. As we were waiting for the bill to come, the dog woke up, walked over to another table, cocked its leg and pissed all over some random customer's jacket which was on the back of his chair, then went back under it's owner's table and fell asleep again, all without anyone involved noticing!

Having said all of that, I love dogs and like the fact that people can take them down the pub - they just need to cut out the lap jumping, bar blocking and coat pissing and all will be fine!

It goes both ways of course. My dogs know how to behave, and they know to come in and sit or lie quietly next to me. Then some person will come up and start to pester them, even when I politely request them to leave the dogs alone. Why do people think it's ok to walk up to a recumbent shepherd dog with large pointy teeth, stand over it and try to pat its head while grinning inanely and assuming (usually incorrectly) its gender? Then the humans get all offended because, apparently, my dogs are communal property put there for the benefit of their children who don't know the difference between an apex predator and a trampoline. And don't get me started on people who think it's ok to give my dogs snacks without asking me.
    'Beer is for all day, not just for breakfast'.

Quote Originally Posted by ETA View Post
    It goes both ways of course. My dogs know how to behave, and they know to come in and sit or lie quietly next to me. Then some person will come up and start to pester them, even when I politely request them to leave the dogs alone. Why do people think it's ok to walk up to a recumbent shepherd dog with large pointy teeth, stand over it and try to pat its head while grinning inanely and assuming (usually incorrectly) its gender? Then the humans get all offended because, apparently, my dogs are communal property put there for the benefit of their children who don't know the difference between an apex predator and a trampoline. And don't get me started on people who think it's ok to give my dogs snacks without asking me.
    My dog will even tolerate all this nonsense with equanimity which would seem to make him much more tolerant and inclusive than many.
    "Beer is food." Morse, Colin Dexter