Visit the Quinno's ongoing pub crawl site

Address: Bristol Road, Portishead, Somerset, BS20 6PZ

Ahhh, my first ever 'legal' pint was in here (yeah, I was 16). Used to be a solid, if unspectacular, local boozer. It was then acquired by Greene King after Les* left and raped into a Hungry Horse outlet which completely ruined it. When it reached the stage in 2006 that the window panes were rotting I expected this place to be shut by the turn of the new decade. So blow me down that the place has been given a new lease of life.

It has now been refitted in the classic Greedy King style (cream and chocolate) and now seems to be a pub/lounge bar effort. The rotten window frames have gone, and there's now some cleaner tables and comfy seats. Vibe is now more warm and relaxed, though still quite quiet.

So onto the beer, what's new? Two GK handpulls, one of which was the seasonal Christmas beer. the girl behind the bar (who I later discovered to be the new landlady) was good fun and a welcome change to the perfunctory, if not downright miserable, service you usually get these days.

The Albion is worth visiting again for the first time in years but it has a long way to go to make up the ground it has lost in Portishead to the Windmill and the Poacher.

Quinno's rating: 5.5/10

*Ahh, Les. What a legend. I remember one particularly raucous quiz night in 1997 where he refused to believe the Gobi desert was in Mongolia because his pre-war atlas didn't actually have Mongolia marked as a country. Despite our many attempts to persuade him otherwise (including showing him modern maps in people pocket diaries) he refused to relent. Genius, they don't make them like him any more.

More...