Ads not shown when logged in

Thread: Leeds Tidy Up No.13

This Space For Hire aleandhearty's Avatar

Default Leeds Tidy Up No.13

The Halton Moor: ---> s/d HALTON MOOR.
    The Hampton Hotel: ---> s/d CROSS GREEN.
    Hanover Arms: ---> s/d LOWER WORTLEY.
    The Harp: ---> s/d BURMANTOFTS.
    Headingley Taps: ---> s/d HEADINGLEY.
    Highbank Hotel: Residential hotel. Suggest delete?
    'And where he supped the past lived still. And where he sipped the glass brimmed full' John Barleycorn, Carol Ann Duffy.

Former Pubs Galore Coder

Hi a&h,

We have moved The Halton Moor to Halton Moor, The Hampton Hotel to Cross Green, Hanover Arms to Lower Wortley, The Harp to Burmantofts and Headingley Taps to Headingley. And deleted the Highbank Hotel.

I haven't really been examining these closely, partly as I just don't know Leeds, but also it is difficult to take the time at the moment. I am becoming a little concerned that we are adding too many new areas though. We have almost doubled the amount of Outlying Areas in Leeds and I am not sure that makes it any clearer. As an example does Burmantofts make the system any clearer? It currently has 1 pub in it, doesn't show up on the map, and appears to pretty much be the center of Leeds anyway. Is this pub not in danger of being lost as no one looks in Burmantofts?

Thanks for those.

This Space For Hire aleandhearty's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Conrad View Post
    Hi a&h,

I am becoming a little concerned that we are adding too many new areas though. We have almost doubled the amount of Outlying Areas in Leeds and I am not sure that makes it any clearer. As an example does Burmantofts make the system any clearer? It currently has 1 pub in it, doesn't show up on the map, and appears to pretty much be the center of Leeds anyway. Is this pub not in danger of being lost as no one looks in Burmantofts?
    Hi Conrad

Thought we’d better discuss your concerns before I went any further. The last thing I want is for you to be unhappy with the changes. (Hopefully, the opposite.) Firstly, the number of new sub-districts has peaked. I think there’s only two or three more to be added - and, on reflection, one or two of those already suggested are borderline and can be merged / deleted. The next batch of changes should only pad out those sub-districts already suggested.

In fairness, I think I should point out that Leeds is huge, the second largest metropolitan borough, by area, in England. For the tidy up to be meaningful the sub-districts had to rise. However, the numbers compare pretty well with your own Bristol for example.

The process has been a steep learning curve and in places I may have been a little generous to some areas. Although I’ve got a good working knowledge of Leeds geography, it’s not encyclopaedic and I suspect problems have arisen when trying to merge data from Google maps and the more detailed Leeds A-Z.

My vision was always to balance the needs of those visiting the city from afar with those living more locally. Hence, the hard-core city venues would be listed centrally, enabling quick (comparative) research and those pubs in the suburbs ‘farmed out’, enabling a search for a specific area. From my point of view, I think it will read pretty well.

Leeds is very densely populated and there are very definite ‘manors’. To take Burmantofts as an example, although close to the city-centre it is well away from the commercial and retail area. It feels separate. Without being unkind, a casual visitor to Leeds is very unlikely to end up wandering there. (Regarding the number of pubs in the area, those will rise as the rest of the corrections unfold.)

May I submit the rest of the changes as I’ve drafted them and then do a little tweaking afterwards as required? (For example, I think the Little London entries can stay central).

Cheers.

a&h
    'And where he supped the past lived still. And where he sipped the glass brimmed full' John Barleycorn, Carol Ann Duffy.

Former Pubs Galore Coder

Hi a&h,

Firstly go ahead and submit the rest of the changes, I just won't do them if I disagree and have done them all so far.

As to keeping me happy I am afraid you are probably onto a loser , ultimately I hate the way we do the geography on the site, but I have yet to think of a better way of doing it, it seems to me any way you do it pubs are going to be missed by people, in fact the only good bit I think is the maps, and they need an overhaul to make them work better. I don't know Leeds, and I am guessing you don't know Bristol, but to take an example I do understand the Surrey Wine Vaults in Bristol, it is fair to say it is in any of, Bristol City Centre (although 2 mins walk from main shops, but you need to cross an 6 lane road, so no one would go there), Portland Square (a laughably tiny district), St. Pauls (probably best description, but completely out of context) or indeed North Bristol (probably important to which football team you support). Which to me means you have 3 wrong answers which locals will have different views on, you will almost inevitably displease more people than you please. I do just hate doing it and I fear it shows everytime we do these clean ups, truth is that we need to trust people who are willing to take responsibility for them since there is no way in heck I can do it, and as someone who knows the area you are only going to improve it. So thanks a lot for taking it on, ignore my curmudgeonly attitude.

Long term I think we are going to try and create all these areas, and a pub can be listed in all of them, at that point we will probably re-flatten the towns . So the towns will be horrendous lists of mad amounts of pubs again, but also all the regions that will then hopefully contain all the pubs that could be in them even though it means pubs may appear in more than 1 location. (I hope that made some sense). This is a lot of work though and some way off.