Ads not shown when logged in
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Is reviewing pubs a chore at times?

Official PG MILD tester Soup Dragon's Avatar

yep - i may have the record for a pub reloaction - some by several miles!
    MILD:

Quote Originally Posted by Farway View Post
    I note some. like me, do a printout of the PuG Google map to locate pubs

I normally also correct the pub location, if widely out, during my review. Hopefully saving someone else the problem of looking in the wrong place

Do other reviewers do this?
    I do although I sometimes feel that I have barely moved a pub more than 6 inches down the road. The worst thing is where 2 or 3 pubs are on top of each other and I have sometimes moved them a fraction in opposite directions for clarity rather than geographic accuracy.
    Last edited by RogerB; 27-08-2010 at 00:56.

I'm a pedant when it comes to this. I look on Google Streetview to locate the building and then find it on the satellite view and then put the cross on the roof of the pub. Sad but useful to someone, I'm sure.
    Waes hael!

Former Pubs Galore Coder

All of this is fascinating and giving me loads of ideas of how to improve the maps. I just wish I had the time to do the work

Wandering, or wondering, or wandering in.

Quote Originally Posted by Strongers View Post
    I do love venturing out not knowing what I'm going to find, that's why I do it. I print a google map of the area and put a cross on it where there is a pub. I usually mark down 20 as some will be closed or gone and others will be chain bars (ABO/Slug etc) where a swift half is all that is required. I do find writing the reviews a little tedious as I find I repeat myself and I seem to have developed the same reviewing format, which was not intentional.

I've been thinking about doing an English course as it is sometimes very frustrating trying to convey to others my observations and my reviews can take an age to write and stuff gets left out as I get the hump.
    I agree with almost everything you’ve said here Strongers. It’s always good to set out to discover new pubs but so often I find it difficult to write anything other than about the usual basics, e.g décor, beer range, service, TV’s, quiet/busy. The problem in the Greater London area is that there are so many non-descript identikit pubs offering the same experience.

For instance I did a little jaunt to Kensington last weekend and there were three Punch pubs all within staggering distance of each other (Greyhound, Goat Tavern & Prince of Wales) that had almost exactly the same décor, layout, beer, menu etc. Consequently I now have some scribbled notes somewhere but can’t get any enthusiasm to write the reviews as I know I’ll be saying more or less the same thing.
    I've just joined Alcoholics Anonymous - I still drink, just under a different name.

Former Pubs Galore Coder

Quote Originally Posted by Millay View Post
    Consequently I now have some scribbled notes somewhere but can’t get any enthusiasm to write the reviews as I know I’ll be saying more or less the same thing.
    You need something to liven it up.

Can you successfully sneak the names of a different fruit into each of the 3 reviews?
    Last edited by Conrad; 27-08-2010 at 13:31. Reason: As the admin and moderator of this site, why did I just suggest that?

Quote Originally Posted by Conrad View Post
    You need something to liven it up.

Can you successfully sneak the names of a different fruit into each of the 3 reviews?
    Graham Norton, John Inman & Dale Winton getting a mention in your reviews would be brilliant.
    A pub is for life not just for Christmas

Quote Originally Posted by Andy Ven View Post
    I'm a pedant when it comes to this. I look on Google Streetview to locate the building and then find it on the satellite view and then put the cross on the roof of the pub. Sad but useful to someone, I'm sure.
    What ! No GPS or Tom Tom co ordinates ? It takes away that sense of excitement as you walk around the corner to see the sight of an boozer never before visited . ( All together now...." Star trecking across the milky way" ) Where has the sense of adventure gone, the need to see the unknown and drink stuff that might make you ill ?

Quote Originally Posted by arwkrite View Post
    What ! No GPS or Tom Tom co ordinates ? It takes away that sense of excitement as you walk around the corner to see the sight of an boozer never before visited
    I might have already seen a photo on PG though. I tend to be the one leading a group on a crawl and they don't half get impatient if they have to treck up and down the road until we find the pub we're looking for.

I can't do OS - it's a bit foreign to me. A-Z, Road Atlas and Google are the extent of my competence
    Waes hael!

Official PG MILD tester Soup Dragon's Avatar

i do something that a lot of blokes wouldn't - i ask someone if i can't find a pub. I seem to remember OB asking for directions to the Flowerpot when were in Derby, shame the only person he could ask was a page 3 look-a-like
    MILD: