Ads not shown when logged in
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Lists Of London Pubs

Default Lists Of London Pubs

From today's Guardian, a review of this book: Public House: A Cultural and Social History of the London Pub. "Featuring more than 120 pubs across all 32 London boroughs (and the City of London), arranged chronologically – not from when the pub opened but from “when it had the most interesting story to tell” – the compendium is also dotted with 15 essays from a broad range of contributors."
    Come On You Hatters!

Quote Originally Posted by sheffield hatter View Post
    From today's Guardian, a review of this book: Public House: A Cultural and Social History of the London Pub. "Featuring more than 120 pubs across all 32 London boroughs (and the City of London), arranged chronologically – not from when the pub opened but from “when it had the most interesting story to tell” – the compendium is also dotted with 15 essays from a broad range of contributors."
    I took a punt on this with a pre-order at a reduced price, and there are certainly plenty of interesting snippets and pictures of historical interest, but not a lot of detail in most cases (apart from the 15 featured pubs).

This Space For Hire

Anyone with an interest in London's pubs wouldn't go far wrong if they get this book, given to me by a friend. It first came out in 1978 and I have what appears to be the current edition, from 1992.

Quote Originally Posted by Tris39 View Post
    Anyone with an interest in London's pubs wouldn't go far wrong if they get this book, given to me by a friend. It first came out in 1978 and I have what appears to be the current edition, from 1992.
    Thanks for the suggestion. Although the link in your post contains the title and author of the book Discovering London's Inns and Taverns by John Wittich, when I clicked it I just got through to an Amazon portal. However, I found a copy at Awesome Books in Wallingford for the princely sum of £3.37. I wonder if it's an earlier edition than yours?
    Come On You Hatters!

This Space For Hire

Thanks for the suggestion. Although the link in your post contains the title and author of the book Discovering London's Inns and Taverns by John Wittich, when I clicked it I just got through to an Amazon portal. However, I found a copy at Awesome Books in Wallingford for the princely sum of £3.37. I wonder if it's an earlier edition than yours?
    Mine is '92 and the weblink suggests the book on offer dates from '96; I doubt there's much difference between issues though. It's a good book with some photos, sadly in black and white as the production values aren't that high. It does include a few crawls too, though at £3.75, you can't really go wrong.

Mine is '92 and the weblink suggests the book on offer dates from '96; I doubt there's much difference between issues though. It's a good book with some photos, sadly in black and white as the production values aren't that high. It does include a few crawls too, though at £3.75, you can't really go wrong.
    I have one (book) on the way also.
    "Everybody's got to believe in something. I believe I'll have another beer."
    -W.C.Fields

Quote Originally Posted by Mobyduck View Post
    I have one (book) on the way also.
    Mine's been cancelled. The bookseller discovered that they'd already sold it to someone else! (Probably Tris.)
    Come On You Hatters!

Mine's been cancelled. The bookseller discovered that they'd already sold it to someone else! (Probably Tris.)
    "Everybody's got to believe in something. I believe I'll have another beer."
    -W.C.Fields

This Space For Hire

Nope. Mine came from a friend who bought it in a charity shop a couple of years ago for £1.99.

Have a go with this link.

Nope. Mine came from a friend who bought it in a charity shop a couple of years ago for £1.99.

Have a go with this link.
    I've sourced another copy on Ebay for a (much better) bargain price of just £2.29 (free postage!). Fingers crossed this one actually turns up.
    Come On You Hatters!