Ads not shown when logged in
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Beer of the Week (w/e 29 August 2010)

Several contenders this week. Naylor's Lunds Bitter was very good in the Regal Moon Rochdale. Box Steam Derail Ale was also excellent in the City Arms Manchester.

The winner is going to be Acorn Gorlovka Stout though. My favourite dark beer after Elland 1872 porter. Both were on in the Regal Moon this weekend. It really is nearly Autumn.
    A pub is for life not just for Christmas

A reasonable beer-supping week, with 17 pints consumed over a 3-day period.

Bombardier x 4
    Fullers Discovery x 2
    Harvey's Best x 4
    Sharp's Doom Bar x 4
    St Austell's Tribute x 2
    Stonehenge Ales Danish Dynamite x 1

BOTW: Stonehenge Ales Danish Dynamite

Waterborne Beer Inspector Bucking Fastard's Avatar

A trip down to The Wenlock Arms ,Hoxton was always likely to throw up a BOTW and having got through six of the eight handpumped ales the best (that I can remember) was Downton's India Pale Ale,very crisp , golden and strong at 6.8%,I needed a pint of Brewers Gold to wash that down afterwards.It really was an excellent pint and true to the original IPA style.

Just Missed the Round Evil Gazebo's Avatar

A tough choice this week, but just edged by Potbelly Beijing Black, seeing as autumn seems to have begun in earnest.
    And you can really taste the hops!

We're not really 'ere! trainman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bucking Fastard View Post
    A trip down to The Wenlock Arms...
    Any update on alleged plan for current incumbents to move on BF? One could easily imagine that being the end.

I'm back from my holiday now...didn't find much of interest in Croatia (the best of the bunch being a dark lager called Lasko Dark), but I did manage to pick up a few bottles of Palmer's beer whilst down in Dorset over the weekend. The Dorset Gold was excellent but my BOTW goes to Palmer's Tally Ho - a cracking strong dark beer (5.5%) and the only Palmer's beer I hadn't tried previously.

This Space For Hire gillhalfpint's Avatar

Sorry I am late with this, but my BOTW was the Bushys Triskellion that we had at the excellent Boathouse at Wylam's Island festival on the 29th.

Quote Originally Posted by trainman View Post
    Any update on alleged plan for current incumbents to move on BF? One could easily imagine that being the end.
    No sign of any change down at the Wenlock thankfully.A lot of rumours seem to come out of BITE,now there's a surprise

We're not really 'ere! trainman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bucking Fastard View Post
    A lot of rumours seem to come out of 'redacted',now there's a surprise
    I also saw the story in London Drinker, which is significantly more worrying...

"Concern is also being expressed about the future of the Wenlock Arms, N1. It seems likely that this record four-times winner of CAMRA North London’s Pub of the Year award could be put up for sale. There is concern that it may be attractive to developers who might wish to see the whole corner site on Wenlock Road converted into flats. Surely there is a pub operator out there who can see value in keeping the Wenlock what it is: one of London’s premier cask beer and cider outlets and a great community local supporting local people, clubs and live music. If so, why not pop in and try to have a word with one of the owners, Steve Barnes or Will Williams.
    John Cryne"

The 'also' refers to the fact the piece is on the same page as the plight of the Duke of Hamilton, about which we hear brighter news elsewhere from Strongers.

Quote Originally Posted by trainman View Post
    I also saw the story in London Drinker, which is significantly more worrying...

The 'also' refers to the fact the piece is on the same page as the plight of the Duke of Hamilton, about which we hear brighter news elsewhere from Strongers.
    I didnt see the London Drinker article,that is always going to be more credible but there is a lot of hedging about in that piece.Great news about the Duke of Hamilton and I would have thought that if the council planners in Hoxton could be pressured into giving an opinion that change of use for The Wenlock would be refused,that might cool developer interest.I dont live around there but in my neck of the woods change of use was refused at the Golden Fleece www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/14999/ which has now reopened.The local CAMRA should be best placed to fight any threat to The Wenlock I would have thought.