Ads not shown when logged in
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Beer of the Week (w/e 29 August 2010)

Former Pubs Galore Coder

Default Beer of the Week (w/e 29 August 2010)

I'll kick off with Wolf's Golden Jackal-I've had this a few times this summer, and find it a good quaffable session beer with a decent fruity background.

Just back from a few days in Cork, and a painful reminder that in a country like Ireland which is rightly renowned for its pubs the same cannot be said for its beer. That said, at least you could get a decent-ish pint of stout (i.e. Beamish, even though this is now produced at Murphy's Lady's Well brewery by Heineken Ireland) in most bars. I also found a bottle of Dungarvan's Helvick Gold and tracked down the Franciscan Well brew-pub which had some interesting brews such as Shandon Stout and Rebel Red (also quite widely available elsewhere in the city). But my Irish beer of the week would have to be the excellent Galway Hooker (honouring something nautical, and not what you might think...) which I had en route in Dublin.

My Beer of the week for this week from the limited few Pints as I only had a chance too drink Last night was
    Jennings Sneck Lifter 5.1%
    Last edited by Alesonly; 29-08-2010 at 23:11.
    Don't You just hate Pubs that say
    ( We don't stock any Real Ales as theres Just no call for it.)

This Space For Hire aleandhearty's Avatar

A bizarrely quiet week for this thread. Has everyone taken the pledge? Mind you, not much on the beer front for me until today. This week's choices:

Goffs 'Summer Knight'
    Oldershaw 'Blonde Volupta'
    Burton Bridge 'Burton Porter'
    Bob's Brewing Co. 'Golden Harvest'
    Bob's Brewing Co. 'Chardonnayle'.
    Ulverston Brewing Co. 'Another Fine Mess'.
    Great Heck 'Slaughterhouse Porter'
    Brew Co. 'Slakers Pale Ale'
    De Ranke 'Saison de Dottignies'
    Fernandes 'Cascade'
    Fernandes 'Chinook'.
    Goffs 'White Knight'
    Outlaw 'Irish Stout'

Undoubtedly between 'Another Fine Mess' and the Fernandes 'Chinook' - which wins by a whisker. The De Ranke wins a spot prize for most challenging beer of the week.
    'And where he supped the past lived still. And where he sipped the glass brimmed full' John Barleycorn, Carol Ann Duffy.

This Space For Hire aleandhearty's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Alesonly View Post
    Jennings Sneck Lifter 5.1%
    Today was the first day that truly felt like autumn was on the way. Still that's when Snecklifter, Riggwelter and Old Peculier 'et al' come into their own.
    'And where he supped the past lived still. And where he sipped the glass brimmed full' John Barleycorn, Carol Ann Duffy.

Quote Originally Posted by aleandhearty View Post
    Today was the first day that truly felt like autumn was on the way. Still that's when Snecklifter, Riggwelter and Old Peculier 'et al' come into their own.
    Yes I must Agree But then again I do prefer Dark strong Ales Porters & Stouts of 5% or over all year round.
    Don't You just hate Pubs that say
    ( We don't stock any Real Ales as theres Just no call for it.)

Pussy Galore No 1 Oggwyn Trench's Avatar

Very quiet week for me , Mrs Trench had a minor op so i have been nursemaid over the last few days , only managed a couple of hours in the pub last night , so its a straight choice between Black Country BFG and Springhead Roaring Meg
    BOTW Springhead Roaring Meg
    Theres a Man with a Mullet going Mad with a Mallet in Millets !

Whilst on my travels beyond the Wall I encountered quite a lot of Skye Red Cuillin, most of it well kept, all of it enjoyable. The other prominent beer was Cairgorm Trade Winds. Of the 2 I'd say the Trade Winds has the edge on taste, although it's not as common, so that's my nomination. The big disappointment was the lack of Black Isle I saw, bearing in mind I was within spitting distance of the Brewery for much of the week.

A monster week for good beers topped off by the highly underrated Wilmington Cricket & Beer festival yesterday (and probably today since there were 12 I didn't get to try yesterday). 24 ales, all from different counties and all from micros, many of whom I had never heard of and just 2 that I have sampled previously. All that and a seat on the balcony listening to leather on willow in the sun.

Friday introduced me to Palmers Dorset Gold, a great beer and also one for the new brewery thread thought I until a bit of research uncovered the fact that the brewery was established in 1794. The oldest new brewery I have come across. A close 2nd for BotW but No 1 is from the Cricket/beer fest. The tasting notes of Bowman Eldorado described it as "a subtle injection of Elder Flowers. No heavy floral scent but more of the tiniest hint of this spring bloom with a lovely bitter finish". At 3.5% I thought I would be getting little more than slightly flavoured tap water but what a wonderful session pint (or half as it was). I will certainly have a second helping if I go back today.