Ads not shown when logged in
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Real Ale Pubs app

This Space For Hire

Default Real Ale Pubs app

What has happened to the Real Ale Pubs app, Dave? Just moved to a new phone and cannot find it to install. I still use it a fair bit, especially the map.
    On leaving the bar, I felt a strong blow to the back of my head. Turning round, I discovered it was the pavement

Quote Originally Posted by Pangolin View Post
    What has happened to the Real Ale Pubs app, Dave? Just moved to a new phone and cannot find it to install. I still use it a fair bit, especially the map.
    Yes a question I've been meaning to ask, for the same reason I no longer have it, have tried a couple of other similar apps and they don't compare with ease of use plus many missing pubs, in fact they are comparitive rubbish.
    "Everybody's got to believe in something. I believe I'll have another beer."
    -W.C.Fields

It appears to have been withdrawn from the Play Store by Google, not sure how easy it would be to get it back in.

My preference is to produce a web version of it that can still be sort of installed like an app. That way it will work on Apple & Android and is a lot easier to update.

Take a look at https://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/real-ale-pubs/ - if you are viewing in a mobile browser it may offer the option to 'install' or 'add to home screen', if not you should be able to find that option in settings somewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave M View Post
    It appears to have been withdrawn from the Play Store by Google, not sure how easy it would be to get it back in.

My preference is to produce a web version of it that can still be sort of installed like an app. That way it will work on Apple & Android and is a lot easier to update.

Take a look at https://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/real-ale-pubs/ - if you are viewing in a mobile browser it may offer the option to 'install' or 'add to home screen', if not you should be able to find that option in settings somewhere.
    Well done Dave , got it back on my phone.
    "Everybody's got to believe in something. I believe I'll have another beer."
    -W.C.Fields

This Space For Hire

Excellent! That will come in right handy. Everyone should have this.

Minor quibble - not sure how the Route directions bit works but it seems to prefer footpaths to roads, even if they are much longer and include infrequent pedestrian ferries!
    On leaving the bar, I felt a strong blow to the back of my head. Turning round, I discovered it was the pavement

Excellent! That will come in right handy. Everyone should have this.

Minor quibble - not sure how the Route directions bit works but it seems to prefer footpaths to roads, even if they are much longer and include infrequent pedestrian ferries!
    It is a tricky one, it finds footpaths that Google doesn't and in many cases is really good for walking directions. Sometimes the footpaths are terrible and yes I've found the infrequent ferry issue near me too.

I'll have a look to see if there are some settings I can change.

I would, but I have been blocked recently when using Chrome on my Android phone (by something called Cisco), from accessing even these relatively harmless forums. Apparently because pubs and alcohol are dangerous.) When I tried again today I was allowed to reach the site and was given a log in prompt which appeared to remember my user name except that it had a capital S, and even when I changed this, the forum still refused to recognise me, although I am - as you see - logged in via my laptop (using Firefox).
    Come On You Hatters!

Quote Originally Posted by sheffield hatter View Post
    I would, but I have been blocked recently when using Chrome on my Android phone (by something called Cisco), from accessing even these relatively harmless forums. Apparently because pubs and alcohol are dangerous.) When I tried again today I was allowed to reach the site and was given a log in prompt which appeared to remember my user name except that it had a capital S, and even when I changed this, the forum still refused to recognise me, although I am - as you see - logged in via my laptop (using Firefox).
    ...got in eventually, though it tried desperately to put the capital S back in sheffield. Grrr!
    Come On You Hatters!

This Space For Hire

Quote Originally Posted by sheffield hatter View Post
    There will be a setting somewhere, something like Content Lock, depending on your service provider which you should be able to turn off (unless it is supplied by a pernickety employer). Who is your mobile account with?

There will be a setting somewhere, something like Content Lock, depending on your service provider which you should be able to turn off (unless it is supplied by a pernickety employer). Who is your mobile account with?
    I assume it was something like that, but the fact that it happened more than 18 months into my contract with Tesco Mobile suggested to me that it was something more random. The bar has now vanished as mysteriously as it appeared, however. I'll try not to worry about the possibility that it is reapplied in future.
    Come On You Hatters!