Ads not shown when logged in
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Where Has All The Ale Gone?

Pretty dismal experience at the Nicholson’s owned The Magpie in Liverpool Street last night.
    Of the ten hand pumps only one in operation with London Pride which then went off midway through the second round leaving no ale in the house. The barman was bemoaning delivery supply issues, but this is not an uncommon experience in the London Nicholson outlets since opening up. Fortunately there are plenty of other good boozers in this part of town, so a prompt move on was had.
    Work is the curse of the drinking Class - Oscar Wilde

Just Missed the Round Brainypool's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Gann View Post
    Pretty dismal experience at the Nicholson’s owned The Magpie in Liverpool Street last night.
    Of the ten hand pumps only one in operation with London Pride which then went off midway through the second round leaving no ale in the house. The barman was bemoaning delivery supply issues, but this is not an uncommon experience in the London Nicholson outlets since opening up. Fortunately there are plenty of other good boozers in this part of town, so a prompt move on was had.
    Very poor in the Nicholson’s Philharmonic in Liverpool the other week too.

The Falcoln was dismal about a three weeks ago, just Pride , Doom Bar and Nicholsons Pale (which is now a different beer than it used to be), I didn't bother.
    "Everybody's got to believe in something. I believe I'll have another beer."
    -W.C.Fields

Quote Originally Posted by RealAleRobUK View Post
    I have found that several Wetherspoon pubs seem to be struggling for guest ale. If you look on the app, pubs that used to sometimes do 5 or 6 guest ales are often showing just one, sometimes even none at all. At first some even seemed to be showing Doom Bar, Abbot etc as listed but out of stock. Not sure if this is a Wetherspoon specific issue - perhaps they are unable to source the same quantities they used to at what I imagine was a low price point - or whether they just scaled back when pubs were operating at reduced capacity and never bothered to build the availability back up again.
    I've been digging around in the real ale data from the spoons app and have checked back to see what stock levels have been like. So this is a list of how many ales were available at the 869 branches at 4pm on each Saturday.
    10/07 4234
    17/07 4223
    24/07 4502
    31/07 4455
    07/08 4506
    14/08 4510
    21/08 4591

So maybe it is picking up a bit?

Right now there are 4600 ales on, 46 branches have no guest ales.

This Space For Hire

Quote Originally Posted by Dave M View Post
    I've been digging around in the real ale data from the spoons app and have checked back to see what stock levels have been like. So this is a list of how many ales were available at the 869 branches at 4pm on each Saturday.
    10/07 4234
    17/07 4223
    24/07 4502
    31/07 4455
    07/08 4506
    14/08 4510
    21/08 4591

So maybe it is picking up a bit?

Right now there are 4600 ales on, 46 branches have no guest ales.
    That coincides a bit with football and holiday seasons kicking off

Liverpool really shouldn't have a problem with distribution as it is hardly remote. I wonder how some of Cornwall is getting on. Rumours that the petrol may run out there this weekend as everyone refills for the drive home (you heard it here first...)

This Space For Hire

Quote Originally Posted by Quinno View Post
    The quality has suffered, IMHO.
    Not suffered as much as this customer at The Royal Sovereign a couple of nights ago.

I'm amazed there's any trade in the City right now.

Quote Originally Posted by Mobyduck View Post
    I suppose they're trading on their interior, on my to-do list none the less.

A return visit to The Jolly Butchers two nights ago and the seven pumps which had become five, with three ales on, is now in fact just one ale and two flavours of Seacider and a very large selection of 'craft' keg.

Quote Originally Posted by Tris39 View Post
    And Fuller's London Shame, which is available at every Remarkable Pubs Co branch.

Sadly I think you are right, with London Sh*te seeming to have ousted Gloom Bore. Had some lovely pints of Three Sods Old Normal at the Cock Tavern over the last few days, but then you wouldn't expect to see the above served there, thank God.
    Are you channelling Aqualung, by any chance?

I understand that some beers that are widely advertised and promoted as national brands are often disappointing, but (in my opinion) this is not always the fault of the brewery, more the lack of expertise in the licensees who just put it on the bar and expect it to sell. When London Pride is in good condition, as I found it at the Dove in Hammersmith about two years ago, it is still a superb beer.

Calling it silly names and - by extension - denigrating also the people who find it acceptable and enjoyable, isn't doing anyone any favours.
    Come On You Hatters!

Quote Originally Posted by sheffield hatter View Post

Calling it silly names
    Three Sods Old Normal is actually its name!
    "Everybody's got to believe in something. I believe I'll have another beer."
    -W.C.Fields

And Fuller's London Shame, which is available at every Remarkable Pubs Co branch.
    Sadly I think you are right, with London Sh*te seeming to have ousted Gloom Bore.
    I don't really understand this - London Pride, kept well (which I'll readily admit is not always the case) and served properly (ditto), is still a good beer.
    Last edited by rpadam; 27-08-2021 at 23:12.

Waterborne Beer Inspector Bucking Fastard's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mobyduck View Post
    The Falcoln was dismal about a three weeks ago, just Pride , Doom Bar and Nicholsons Pale (which is now a different beer than it used to be), I didn't bother.
    I popped in last Saturday after the match,the visit was saved by St Austell Proper Job.The other three you mention were also on,they must be permanent.Interior still good,and maybe I was fortunate on the ale front.
    "Good people drink good beer" Hunter S Thompson