Ads not shown when logged in
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Where Has All The Ale Gone?

Quote Originally Posted by Bucking Fastard View Post
    I popped in last Saturday after the match,the visit was saved by St Austell Proper Job.The other three you mention were also on,they must be permanent.Interior still good,and maybe I was fortunate on the ale front.
    Was the Proper Job well kept?
    "Everybody's got to believe in something. I believe I'll have another beer."
    -W.C.Fields

Waterborne Beer Inspector Bucking Fastard's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mobyduck View Post
    Yes it seemed fine but I only stayed for a pint and a half.
    "Good people drink good beer" Hunter S Thompson

This Space For Hire

Quote Originally Posted by sheffield hatter View Post
    When London Pride is in good condition, as I found it at the Dove in Hammersmith about two years ago, it is still a superb beer.

Calling it silly names and - by extension - denigrating also the people who find it acceptable and enjoyable, isn't doing anyone any favours.
    Lucky Pride was on at the Dove as none to be found on my trip.

Many people use tongue-in-cheek terms for beers and nothing serious is meant by it, certainly on my part at least.

This Space For Hire

Quote Originally Posted by Mobyduck View Post
    Had some great pints of Prober Job in the King's Arms in Oxford yesterday with no restrictions and both Young's staples on along with Tribute. My crawl was largely curtailed by early closings.

A sorry trip to Jericho's Gardeners the day before revealed full protocols in place, with a rope over the door to prevent entry without full compliance and sadly, just two pints on when typically there are reliably four though both very nice. And now - for how long, I know not - they have imposed a seven-day 10.30 closing; they used to have midnight openings at least six days a week.

Quote Originally Posted by Tris39 View Post
    Many people use tongue-in-cheek terms for beers and nothing serious is meant by it, certainly on my part at least.
    Well, I didn't know that and I'm sure plenty of the casual visitors to this site who read "London Shame", "London Sh*te" and "Gloom Bore" (post 20 on this thread) didn't know it either. We're all entitled to our opinions and everyone is a little silly from time to time, but when posting on a public forum, giving a little consideration for other people and for the reputation of the site would only take a few seconds before hitting that "post quick reply" button.
    Come On You Hatters!

Lucky Pride was on at the Dove as none to be found on my trip.

I have no problem with the beer, I just object to Fuller's previous business practices.
    'Beer is for all day, not just for breakfast'.

This Space For Hire

Quote Originally Posted by ETA View Post
    I have no problem with the beer, I just object to Fuller's previous business practices.
    Fullers don't brew beer any more.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave M View Post
    So this is a list of how many ales were available at the 869 branches at 4pm on each Saturday.
    Thought I'd add another data point to the list and I found a backup of the just before Covid data for comparison.

Pre-Covid 07/03/20 4935

10/07 4234
    17/07 4223
    24/07 4502
    31/07 4455
    07/08 4506
    14/08 4510
    21/08 4591
    28/08 4684

Quote Originally Posted by Dave M View Post
    Thought I'd add another data point to the list and I found a backup of the just before Covid data for comparison.

Pre-Covid 07/03/20 4935

10/07 4234
    17/07 4223
    24/07 4502
    31/07 4455
    07/08 4506
    14/08 4510
    21/08 4591
    28/08 4684
    Weren't there more Wetherspoons pubs before the first lockdown? I thought some had been closed, which might account for (some of) the drop from 4935 to 4234.
    Come On You Hatters!

This Space For Hire

Is it just London, or are other areas seeing a big drop in ale choice, that's if real ale hasn't recently been withdrawn altogether.
    Definite poor range in Central London with fewer pumps in use and lack of variety.As a beer ticker I had noticed the range of beers well before the pandemic was in decline.I think the pubs realised that the cheaper brands were just not selling and seemed to be sticking with the tried and trusted sellers.Five Points brewer and Tiny Rebel seems to be on everywhere.Locally its back to usual in the better beer pub.