Ads not shown when logged in
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Photo supression dev request from dwarf

Quote Originally Posted by NickDavies View Post
    Why not just make it so the most recent pic appears on the pub summary page? Which I sort of thought was already the way, but a quick scout round found it mostly is, but not always.
    The most recent few pics fair enough, variety is the spice of life.
    "Everybody's got to believe in something. I believe I'll have another beer."
    -W.C.Fields

Quote Originally Posted by Quinno View Post
    That would pretty much work - although if a slew have appeared over the previous 18 months should they not all get a decent airing?

Perhaps we are looking at an algorithm tweak as a compromise solution.
    I think there still needs to be a suppression tool available, so that if the most recent picture is of the garden, or the hand pumps, it doesn't get selected for the main page photo.
    Come On You Hatters!

Quote Originally Posted by Dave M View Post
    I think Quinno is just suggesting we show only photos from the past 4 years unless they are all older than that so don't really need the "pubs with no photos in the last four years" map.
    That was just a reductio ad absurdum. I hope you didn't start work on it.
    Come On You Hatters!

Quote Originally Posted by sheffield hatter View Post
    I think there still needs to be a suppression tool available, so that if the most recent picture is of the garden, or the hand pumps, it doesn't get selected for the main page photo.
    Absolutely and probably need to be made easier as I think Quinno has mentioned before. Ideally in fact tag it as being garden/pumps/sign or whatever.

Quote Originally Posted by sheffield hatter View Post
    That was just a reductio ad absurdum. I hope you didn't start work on it.
    Well the interesting bit is that although we might not need it, some might want it. There are almost certainly pubs near me that don't have a photo from the past 4-5 years and could probably do with a new one as they may have changed a bit, I wouldn't want to encourage people to go out of their way for that though!

Quote Originally Posted by Dave M View Post
    Well the interesting bit is that although we might not need it, some might want it. There are almost certainly pubs near me that don't have a photo from the past 4-5 years and could probably do with a new one as they may have changed a bit, I wouldn't want to encourage people to go out of their way for that though!
    Some people don't need that much encouraging!

If the map could be amended by each user, that might be useful to photographers of a completist turn of mind. For example, if I wanted to find pubs that I hadn't already taken photos of, I could put the date that I first uploaded a photo into the map tool. Though that wouldn't identify all the pubs I hadn't photographed yet, it would certainly throw up a lot.

Or could a user insert their name in a new field, to ask the tool/map to identify pubs not photographed by that user (since a particular date)? Sounds like a lot of work for you, for not much gain for the site.

Pubs that don't have a photo from the past 4-5 years and could probably do with a new one would certainly address Quinno's concern about the site not being as up to date as it could be. You would need to add something under the photo on the home page, though. Similar to the No image yet posted for this pub, be the first that we get when there's no photo at all, such as "No new photos of this pub since [insert date of latest photo]. How about going there and taking one for this site?"
    Come On You Hatters!

This Space For Hire

An interesting discussion. I have just been in an area with only a couple of photoless pubs (will upload shortly!) but lots of ancient photos, and would happily have given those a higher priority if it was easier to identify them. Conversely, in an area with a number of photoless ones, better to concentrate on them. I think the proposal to use the more recent(ish) ones by preference is probably the best solution to keep the site looking current.
    On leaving the bar, I felt a strong blow to the back of my head. Turning round, I discovered it was the pavement

I'll stay on me own PaulOfHorsham's Avatar

Given that 9% of the pubs on PG have no picture, the number with none in the last 4-5 years must be in the region of 50%! Though I have often thought that a map highlighting no photos in the last 10 years would be handy and could serve as a prompt to get out & about.

On a slightly related note, and recognising that Dave might not appreciate the extra work, it seems to me that grouping all photos on a pub's picture page by month is going to become increasingly untenable. I was thinking that, once 10 years have passed, photos could be grouped by year, but I see that possibly the most pictured pub - The Tattershall Castle (59 photos) - would barely be affected. Perhaps, photos older than 10 years could be grouped together under "older photos".
    Keeping breweries in business for more than 40() years

This Space For Hire

Quote Originally Posted by NickDavies View Post
    Why not just make it so the most recent pic appears on the pub summary page? Which I sort of thought was already the way, but a quick scout round found it mostly is, but not always.
    But could this not result in a picture of pump clips or surreptitious photo of the resident pub loon?

Quote Originally Posted by PaulOfHorsham View Post
    possibly the most pictured pub - The Tattershall Castle (59 photos) .
    My god , how many pictures of a boat do we need?
    "Everybody's got to believe in something. I believe I'll have another beer."
    -W.C.Fields

Quote Originally Posted by Tris39 View Post
    But could this not result in a picture of pump clips or surreptitious photo of the resident pub loon?
    If you read Dave's post #14 you'll see that he's thinking of a hybrid version, with the dwarfs still manually filtering out those pictures that are not thought suitable for front page display, while using an algorithm to give more screen time to newer photos and less (tapering to none) for older ones. Tagging the photos with reasons for suppressing them could make it easier for other dwarfs to understand the decisions that have been made and not over-correct them.
    Come On You Hatters!