Ads not shown when logged in
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: Photo supression dev request from dwarf

Quote Originally Posted by oldboots View Post
    The dwarfs know all those wonderful people whose contributions make this the best pub review site in Christendom, even when we log in and see 50 or 60 photos to approve, we really appreciate the work done by everyone. I will even say thanks to our partially sighted photographer who perhaps relies on his guide dog to take the photos- thanks guys keep keeping us busy, I’m sure all the dwarves will agree.
    Dopey agrees with the above ^^

Quote Originally Posted by Blackthorn View Post
    Excellent Dave, I really like this. Sometimes you can see name changes from the reviews that have been written as that is retained, but of course that needs a review to be submitted under that particular name and doesn't give the date when it changed. This is very useful.

However, one query - Flight Club only shows one name change in the history, and yet it must have been known as BSB on this site as there is a review under that name? A similar thing with Four Wise Monkeys, there is no mention of the Bar@30 name.
    I only have history of name changes from 2014 and not absolutely every one. But I think the date probably covers both of those.

This is far from perfect still. I shall look into how to make it more useful at some point, but this was a quick win.

This Space For Hire

Quote Originally Posted by Dave M View Post
    We process a lot of name changes (almost 22,000 of them since 2014 - thank you dwarfs ). Totally accept the 'not capturing them very well' sentiment as they don't show up in the pub page history.

However the good news is that I have been capturing the name changes.

Those changes just weren't displayed anywhere, not least because probably around half of them are correcting typos or adding/removing 'the', 'inn' etc. I've just done some quick filtering of really obvious small corrections and added a 'name history' section to pages where names have changed.
    Thanks for that - another very useful addition, although I fear you may be making a rod for your own back with "well it also used to be called...". Personal thinking is if we haven't already got it, let's not worry too much.
    On leaving the bar, I felt a strong blow to the back of my head. Turning round, I discovered it was the pavement

Quote Originally Posted by Tris39 View Post
    Are we going to suppress photos if the pub's name changes?
    Quote Originally Posted by sheffield hatter View Post
    That's what we're doing now. Why would it change?
    Quote Originally Posted by Quinno View Post
    Unless there's a new photo in the current guise, I'm inclined to leave the newest 'old one' - better something than nothing, the general fabric of the building rarely changes.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mobyduck View Post
    Thats exactly how it should work.
    Quote Originally Posted by ROBCamra View Post
    That's exactly how it does work now. I'm not sure this discussion is going anywhere, or is even necessary.
    Well, perhaps the discussion is necessary because there's room for debate about when is the correct time to suppress photos of the pub with its old name showing!

If all old photos are suppressed, the blank photo frame appears on the pub's front page, with the message underneath No current image posted for this pub: view older pictures (5 images) . (The link is to a pub in Wirksworth that has changed hands and acquired the name of a former micropub in the same town that has closed.)

I can see the argument for what Quinno, Mobyduck and ROBCamra are saying: the fabric of the building is (likely) unchanged, so why not leave the photo showing.

The argument the other way is two-fold: the new owners have decided to call the pub something different, but we seem to be ignoring that and retaining the old name, which might look like an oversight. Also, the absence of a photo might act as a prompt to one of our photographers and the gap will soon be filled. (Dave: Would it be possible for the photoless pubs map to pick up examples of this - the blank photo frame also appears on the area page, so there must be a tag that can be picked up.)

Also in Wirksworth is one of the four Greene King pubs that the company decided to rename because there was a perception that the name was offensive. Two were in Suffolk and have had their names changed (by us and by Camra/WhatPub); the fourth is near Reading, and Quinno has (with the benefit of local knowledge) half-changed the name and retained the old photos, as the name change is not going to be effected until next month.

If I am actioning a name change I tend to look at the photos of the pub with its old name to see whether the name is glaringly obvious. If it's not I will leave the photo showing on the main page. Otherwise I will suppress all photos so that the photo frame is blank. I'm not saying everyone else is wrong and I'm right - I'm saying there is the need for a discussion about this.
    OK, giving this discussion a little nudge. I was in Wirksworth today, after my planned crawl in Derby with a friend was cancelled at short notice and I went to Belper instead. (Very good pubs in Bleper, but that's another story.) Having time to kill before late opening pubs roused themselves, I thought I might as well get a bus to Wirksworth and photograph the two pubs there that have changed their names.

Except that they haven't...

The Quarryman is still called the Blacks Head, despite Greene King having announced in January* that they were going to change it.

And the Red Lion...well, it seems like this big, old coaching inn has split itself into several smaller units, one of which (the former Red Lion Hotel's public bar as reviewed by me and by Richard in years gone by) is now the Feather Star. But the building still prominently displays the name Red Lion, so what do we do now? We can hardly go back to calling the pub Red Lion, but on the other hand, it seems futile to suppress the photos saying Red Lion since the Feather Star sign is about the size of a bus ticket.

Any ideas?

(Both pubs were closed on a Tuesday afternoon, but I'm not complaining as it was a decision made on the hoof to go and photograph them, though it might have been interesting to get the views of the people that work there, or drink there.)

*FFS
    Come On You Hatters!

OK, giving this discussion a little nudge. I was in Wirksworth today, after my planned crawl in Derby with a friend was cancelled at short notice and I went to Belper instead. (Very good pubs in Bleper, but that's another story.) Having time to kill before late opening pubs roused themselves, I thought I might as well get a bus to Wirksworth and photograph the two pubs there that have changed their names.

The Quarryman is still called the Blacks Head, despite Greene King having announced in January* that they were going to change it.

And the Red Lion...well, it seems like this big, old coaching inn has split itself into several smaller units, one of which (the former Red Lion Hotel's public bar as reviewed by me and by Richard in years gone by) is now the Feather Star. But the building still prominently displays the name Red Lion, so what do we do now? We can hardly go back to calling the pub Red Lion, but on the other hand, it seems futile to suppress the photos saying Red Lion since the Feather Star sign is about the size of a bus ticket.

Any ideas?

(Both pubs were closed on a Tuesday afternoon, but I'm not complaining as it was a decision made on the hoof to go and photograph them, though it might have been interesting to get the views of the people that work there, or drink there.)

*FFS
    Not an answer as such but maybe in the interim do as Whatpub have done with The Quarryman, QUARRYMAN (BLACKSHEAD) , or vice versa until the change is actioned and proven, at least it covers some bases, or does it confuse matters further?
    Last edited by Mobyduck; 08-09-2021 at 08:01.
    "Everybody's got to believe in something. I believe I'll have another beer."
    -W.C.Fields

Just Missed the Round

I was in Wirksworth today, after my planned crawl in Derby with a friend was cancelled at short notice and I went to Belper instead. (Very good pubs in Bleper, but that's another story.) Having time to kill before late opening pubs roused themselves, I thought I might as well get a bus to Wirksworth and photograph the two pubs there that have changed their names.

I did something similar a few months back. I was in Wirksworth for the day and thought "Great, I'll snap a photo of the new pub sign for Pubs Galore" so imagine my disappointment to see it still had the old signage up. Strange that it has still not changed.

Just to prove we didn't dream it:

https://www.greeneking.co.uk/newsroo...cks-head-pubs/

That said, if you search for Wirksworth pubs on the Greene King web site, the pub doesn't come up in the results (under either name) so perhaps it has either closed or Greene King have disposed of it?

Quote Originally Posted by RealAleRobUK View Post
    ... if you search for Wirksworth pubs on the Greene King web site, the pub doesn't come up in the results (under either name) so perhaps it has either closed or Greene King have disposed of it?
    Yes, it looks that way. It's not closed as there was a gazebo and some barrels standing in front of the pub, making it look likely to open later, so I guess it's no longer a Greene King pub. Which makes it possible that the new owners will decide not to go with the new name. I've therefore changed the pub name field to The Quarryman (Blacks Head), as suggested by Mobyduck.
    Come On You Hatters!