Ads not shown when logged in

Thread: Photo supression dev request from dwarf

Hybrid View

Default Photo supression dev request from dwarf

Increasingly there's a call to regularly supress old photos from 3/4+ years ago as new ones go up.

In some cases there are dozens to do stretching back years, especially when certain photographers have uploaded a dozen from every conceivable angle.

Ideally there'd be a tick box for each monthly set, 'supress all'. That would be a huge dawrf timesaver....

Quote Originally Posted by Quinno View Post
    Increasingly there's a call to regularly supress old photos from 3/4+ years ago as new ones go up.

In some cases there are dozens to do stretching back years, especially when certain photographers have uploaded a dozen from every conceivable angle.

Ideally there'd be a tick box for each monthly set, 'supress all'. That would be a huge dawrf timesaver....
    Where is this call coming from? How much time are you spending on suppression of old photos, apparently just because they're old.

I can see why photos would need suppressing if the pub's name has changed, or if there has been a marked change in the pub's expternal appearance; a more pressing need for the former than the latter, in my view. But suppressing anything more than three or four years old? Why is there supposed to be a need for that?

When I'm approving photos that have been submitted I very seldom look at those that are already on the site, though I admit that I do look through photos when actioning a request for a name change, as the change prompts the need. Apart from that, when browsing or researching pubs for future trips I'll occasionally suppress a photo that is more of parked cars than of a pub, or where a builder's cleavage dominates the view, but if a photo is reasonably well composed and is a fairly close likeness of the outside of the pub I'll leave it on display even if it's more than 10 years old.
    Come On You Hatters!

Quote Originally Posted by sheffield hatter View Post
    Where is this call coming from? How much time are you spending on suppression of old photos, apparently just because they're old.

I can see why photos would need suppressing if the pub's name has changed, or if there has been a marked change in the pub's expternal appearance; a more pressing need for the former than the latter, in my view. But suppressing anything more than three or four years old? Why is there supposed to be a need for that?
    The call is coming from me and the others who do likewise.

Because if we want to keep the site relevant, up-to-date and attract new visitors (and, ultimately, contributors), showing a picture that is 12 years old on the pubs landing page when there are far newer ones available is not the best way to go about it.

The assumption will be that we are operating a half-dead site.

The call is coming from me and the others who do likewise.

Because if we want to keep the site relevant, up-to-date and attract new visitors (and, ultimately, contributors), showing a picture that is 12 years old on the pubs landing page when there are far newer ones available is not the best way to go about it.
    Well, if Dave agrees with you he will no doubt spend the necessary time to do the development you request. It still seems over the top to me.

What are you doing about the pubs with no recent photos? I took one this week of a pub whose only photo was uploaded 17 years ago, and that only because I asked Dave to amend his "photoless pubs" map to enable me to find it and others like it. If we go down the route you're proposing we'll need a "pubs with no photos in the last four years" map! And do we have enough photographers? (I think you know the answer to that one.)

The assumption will be that we are operating a half-dead site.
    Possibly. Or perhaps the impression will be that it's a site that values its members' contributions and is interested in the changing, or unchanging, appearance of pubs over the years.
    Come On You Hatters!

If we go down the route you're proposing we'll need a "pubs with no photos in the last four years" map!
    I am not proposing that in any way at all - only surpressing old photos where newer ones of a decent calibre have been uploaded since.

Or perhaps the impression will be that it's a site that values its members' contributions and is interested in the changing, or unchanging, appearance of pubs over the years.
    I would posit that is what the view all this pub's photos link off the landing page is for.
    Last edited by Quinno; 13-08-2021 at 19:25.

This Space For Hire

Why not just make it so the most recent pic appears on the pub summary page? Which I sort of thought was already the way, but a quick scout round found it mostly is, but not always.

This Space For Hire

When I'm approving photos that have been submitted I very seldom look at those that are already on the site, though I admit that I do look through photos when actioning a request for a name change, as the change prompts the need. Apart from that, when browsing or researching pubs for future trips I'll occasionally suppress a photo that is more of parked cars than of a pub, or where a builder's cleavage dominates the view, but if a photo is reasonably well composed and is a fairly close likeness of the outside of the pub I'll leave it on display even if it's more than 10 years old.
    Perhaps reasons are more mixed. The Express Tavern has the same format, but just a different colour. However, https://www.pubology.co.uk/pubs/2635.html appears in an episode of Minder from 40 years ago and it's utterly unchanged other than just a new coat of paint once in a while.
    I do think though that all photos should be supressed if the pub undergoes a change of name, even if this means that there's no immediate image; an incentive to provide one?

Well, if Dave agrees with you he will no doubt spend the necessary time to do the development you request. It still seems over the top to me.
    Actively marking them as suppressed from the front page doesn't seem like the right solution.

Modifying the algorithm to prioritise newer photos might be the way to go.

If we go down the route you're proposing we'll need a "pubs with no photos in the last four years" map
    I think Quinno is just suggesting we show only photos from the past 4 years unless they are all older than that so don't really need the "pubs with no photos in the last four years" map.

The question really is what would I do if a pub only has photos that are 6, 8 and 10 years old do they all get equal priority? Do I only show the 6 year old one?

Personally I'd probably prefer to still show older ones even when there is a new one, just less frequently perhaps? And maybe with a note beneath saying to visit the photos page for newer photos.

This Space For Hire

Quote Originally Posted by Dave M View Post
    Actively marking them as suppressed from the front page doesn't seem like the right solution.

Modifying the algorithm to prioritise newer photos might be the way to go.
    Great minds....

Quote Originally Posted by Dave M View Post
    I think Quinno is just suggesting we show only photos from the past 4 years unless they are all older than that so don't really need the "pubs with no photos in the last four years" map.
    That was just a reductio ad absurdum. I hope you didn't start work on it.
    Come On You Hatters!