Ads not shown when logged in
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Photo supression dev request from dwarf

This Space For Hire

I can't speak for other regions, but given access to the London Drinker I think that - Rex? - and myself do a very good job of keeping tabs on name changes, many of which are submitted to What?ub/London Drinker by me, made all the easier given my epic daily hikes around the boroughs of Westminster, Camden, Islington and Hackney.

I too also think that what looks most shoddy, is a picture on the front page which shows a pub with the wrong name.

We do retain the name of the old pub on the review page along with the new one which I think is good as it shows how much - if anything - has changed. There is a problem though where reviewers write simply 'The Dog & Duck is now called Fred's Bar', for example - why don't they submit this to the Name Change section on the forum? If photos which show the old pub name are oppressed, surely this shows up on the map of pubs with no photo; is this not an incentive to go out and get one?

Just my thoughts...

Quote Originally Posted by Tris39 View Post
    I too also think that what looks most shoddy, is a picture on the front page which shows a pub with the wrong name.
    Up to now, I have been in the 'any picture is better than none' school of thought, but happy to move to the other approach in the event of a name change if that's the consensus.

We do retain the name of the old pub on the review page along with the new one which I think is good as it shows how much - if anything - has changed. There is a problem though where reviewers write simply 'The Dog & Duck is now called Fred's Bar', for example - why don't they submit this to the Name Change section on the forum?
    Agreed, although I try to catch as many as I can when spotted on the 'Latest Activity' part of the home page.

This Space For Hire

Quote Originally Posted by rpadam View Post
    Up to now, I have been in the 'any picture is better than none' school of thought, but happy to move to the other approach in the event of a name change if that's the consensus.

Agreed, although I try to catch as many as I can when spotted on the 'Latest Activity' part of the home page.
    And if this is the only part of the 'review', would it not be a good idea to change the name and delete bon mots such as these?

And if this is the only part of the 'review', would it not be a good idea to change the name and delete bon mots such as these?
    Not for me - deleting somebody else's review (if factual, and not a one-off food rant, etc.) would be a step too far, even for something like that.

I'll stay on me own PaulOfHorsham's Avatar

The problem with not capturing name changes very well as I see it, is that there is nothing in the history to show when the change was logged, nor what the previous name might have been. If a way could be found to add these updates to the history, it might clarify why the photo doesn't tally with the name.

As for an incentive to go and out and take pictures of pubs without current photos; well, there's only a few people taking pictures and not all areas of the country are necessarily well-covered, so it could be several years before anyone gets round to some places.

I guess it's really all down to Dave and how much work he wishes to put in behind the scenes.
    Keeping breweries in business for more than 40() years

Quote Originally Posted by sheffield hatter View Post
    Now you are saying "any photo is better than none".
    To be fair to Pangolin you have omitted the (almost) from your quote which would surely include the one taken through the rain spattered - top window of a bus and any number of poor excuses for pub photos. I tend to lean toward the any photo is better than none camp, but of course there are many exceptions to that rule, thats what dwarfs are for.
    "Everybody's got to believe in something. I believe I'll have another beer."
    -W.C.Fields

Quote Originally Posted by Mobyduck View Post
    To be fair to Pangolin you have omitted the (almost) from your quote which would surely include the one taken through the rain spattered - top window of a bus and any number of poor excuses for pub photos. I tend to lean toward the any photo is better than none camp, but of course there are many exceptions to that rule, thats what dwarfs are for.
    To be fair to me (and accepting that not everybody will agree), I placed myself "in the 'any picture is better than none' school of thought", and something taken through the rain spattered, top window of a bus is still better than nothing at all...

Of course, as soon as somebody can take something better, then that will need to be shown on the pub's front page in order to maximise the site's credibility and appeal.

Quote Originally Posted by rpadam View Post
    To be fair to me (and accepting that not everybody will agree), I placed myself "in the 'any picture is better than none' school of thought", and something taken through the rain spattered, top window of a bus is still better than nothing at all...

Of course, as soon as somebody can take something better, then that will need to be shown on the pub's front page in order to maximise the site's credibility and appeal.
    ^^ this

This Space For Hire

Quote Originally Posted by Mobyduck View Post
    To be fair to Pangolin you have omitted the (almost) from your quote
    Exactly why I put the (almost) in !!
    On leaving the bar, I felt a strong blow to the back of my head. Turning round, I discovered it was the pavement

I've thought of a potential solution that might reconcile the different positions on this.

Dave mentioned tagging photos when they are to be suppressed. I imagine the tags would include things like interior (which would include shots of the pump clips!), garden, people, cars, night, view (i.e. a view of the river or mountains from the pub), sign, details (i.e. architectural oddities, or a close up taken at an odd angle), poor quality - so how about former name as a tag? This would also have the advantage that if the pub reverts to its former name but still hasn't been rephotographed, we can just un-tag it! (Also, how about a tag for suppressed by owner (i.e. the photographer)? I know some have been, and this option should still be retained, but it's not always clear when looking at the photos why a particular shot has been suppressed. Don't know if this info can be picked up from an audit trail.)

Then the picture selection algorithm could recognise the tags and insert some dialogue under the picture frame, pointing out that (for example) "we are aware that the photo on display is of the pub with its former name - how about supplying a new photo?" Then if the photoless pubs map could also pick up on this, that would encourage regular photographers to visit. (This could also be made to work for those pubs where the *only* photo on the site is of the pub sign, or is of poor quality. So, the photo would still be marked/tagged for suppression but would continue to show on the main page until it has been supplanted.)

Any thoughts?

Dave? I can't tell how much work might be involved, but there's a potential for a big improvement, I hope.
    Come On You Hatters!