Ads not shown when logged in
Page 9 of 16 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Thread: 10th Anniversary Pub Crawl in Birmingham

Waterborne Beer Inspector Bucking Fastard's Avatar

Two more have signed up for this crawl,namely Clive and Nige friends of mine who have been on several crawls in the past and are known to quite a few of you .Clive arrives from Reading around noon so will be in the Wellington for the kick off.

Nige has got some patients to see early morning but is aiming to arrive on the 1.25pm ,so will catch up with the crawl wherever it happens to be at that time.
    "Good people drink good beer" Hunter S Thompson

With less than a week until the big event,I thought it might be useful to do a roll call of attendees.Looking back over this tread ,and making a few assumptions,it looks like the following have signed up (including were mentioned their estimate time of arrival)

Apologies if I have missed anyone out ,or included them by mistake.I will edit the list with any new information.

gillhalfpint
    Ray
    Gann (12.23)
    Dave M (10.56)
    Moby Duck (11.49)
    Big Steve
    Bucking Fastard (11.25)
    Clive (11.49)
    Nige (13.25)
    Thuck Phat
    sheffield hatter (11.54)
    rpadam
    Soup Dragon (X51)
    Tris39
    an_ecumenical_matter
    Tony
    Real Ale Ray
    Mrs Ale
    Pangolin
    london calling (12.30)
    AlanH (10.32)

Looks like a decent turnout,so following Gill's route see you at the start in the Wellington.
    Last edited by Bucking Fastard; 15-10-2021 at 07:18.

Currently intending to arrive in New Street at 10:56, then a quick pit stop for fat and carbs at the Briar Rose. Should hopefully be in the Wellington before midday.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave M View Post
    Currently intending to arrive in New Street at 10:56, then a quick pit stop for fat and carbs at the Briar Rose. Should hopefully be in the Wellington before midday.
    I'm going for a quick stomach liner there straight after getting off the train,see you in there.

This Space For Hire

I Will be there train doesn't get in till 12.30.

Quote Originally Posted by gillhalfpint View Post

Wellington opens 10am so good meeting place.
    Old Joint Stock could be done after Welly out of the back.
    Bartons Arms a 51 bus there, then
    Logic puts 51 or 33 to Price St to do Bull and Gunmakers as they are on the right side of the road off the bus, then back to get bus to Bartons Arms.
    I would do Hockley next as not far to Metro from Gunmakers and get off Jewellery Quarter Makes sense as 33 or 51 back to town then for 16 to Jewellery Quarter and will save a lot of time.
    Jewellers Arms
    Rock n Roll
    Burning Soul Taproom

Back to Colmore Row
    Old Joint Stock
    Colmore
    Post Office Vaults
    Craven Arms

then down to

Lamp Tavern
    Anchor
    White Swan
    Spotted Dog

I would add the Woodman here

Gill

Quote Originally Posted by gillhalfpint View Post
    Old Joint Stock could be done after Welly out of the back.
    Logic puts 51 or 33 to Price St to do Bull and Gunmakers as they are on the right side of the road off the bus, then back to get bus to Bartons.
    Makes sense as 33 or 51 back to town then for 16 to Jewellery Quarter and will save a lot of time.

Gill
    Quote Originally Posted by Mobyduck View Post
    It appears the Rock & Roll Brewhouse doesn't open till 5pm which would likely rule it out which is a shame.
    Quote Originally Posted by Delboy20 View Post

I have been looking at what Gill, Mobyduck and Delboy20 wrote and added/subtracted bits from Gill's original route accordingly, including that it makes sense to do Wellington/Old Joint Stock=>Bull/Gunmakers=>Bartons Arms because of where the bus stops are positioned and (as I understand it from the map) avoiding crossing roads that we wouldn't otherwise need to.
    Come On You Hatters!

Quote Originally Posted by sheffield hatter View Post
    I have been looking at what Gill, Mobyduck and Delboy20 wrote and added/subtracted bits from Gill's original route accordingly, including that it makes sense to do Wellington/Old Joint Stock=>Bull/Gunmakers=>Bartons Arms because of where the bus stops are positioned and (as I understand it from the map) avoiding crossing roads that we wouldn't otherwise need to.
    Following from the above, I have tidied this list up to look like this:

Wellington
    Old Joint Stock
    Bull
    Gunmakers
    Bartons Arms
    Jewellers Arms
    Burning Soul Taproom
    Colmore
    Post Office Vaults
    Craven Arms
    Lamp Tavern
    Anchor
    White Swan
    Spotted Dog
    Woodman

I make that 15 pubs, which one or two people might say is rather too many. One way of trimming them to a more manageable list is to designate a main route and wild cards. I know some people will have their own ideas about these, but just to get the ball rolling I would suggest the Old Joint Stock (magnificent building but considered rather expensive and do we all want to barge in there en mass at lunchtime on a Friday?) and Burning Soul Taproom (not everyone wants to visit taprooms).

Another consideration is that there is quite a large group (listed by Nev at #82 - looks like 20), and it would make sense to split into two smaller groups where pubs are close together (like Bull and Gunmakers). And possibly aim for just one of the Post Office Vaults and the Colmore too.

I am also a bit concerned with the five pubs at the end of the list and the chances of people getting lost and missing their trains. See this map for the walking route from the Post Office Vaults to the next six pubs and then to New Street station - it's 3.5miles: 1hr 12m

I think by this stage such a large group will almost certainly have splintered, so it makes better sense to say that the last five pubs after the Craven Arms are optional depending on stamina and train times (e.g. short cut from Anchor to Woodman), and not make any effort to try to stick together at that stage.

Apologies to Gill if she has been doing something similar, but we haven't heard back from her since her test run on 27 September, and it's only five days until kick off.
    Come On You Hatters!

Quote Originally Posted by sheffield hatter View Post
    I make that 15 pubs, which one or two people might say is rather too many.
    Just to be clear: I am one of those who would say that 15 pubs is rather too many!

I did 12 pubs in Stockport last Friday, mostly halves, and when my train was cancelled I came very close to threatening a railway employee who was giving me duff info about how to get to Sheffield - he wanted me to go into Manchester and catch a train on a different line, because (in hindsight) he misread my ticket and thought it said Stafford not Sheffield. I could have got myself into a lot of trouble because my befuddled head couldn't understand why he was misdirecting me.

I reckon 10 pubs is plenty.
    Come On You Hatters!

What we don't know in detail are the departure times for the crawlers but reading back through the thread the London and Southeast contingent are around 8pm (Moby,Big Steve,Clive 20.04),Nige 20.10,Gann 20.14,me 21.10 so I think it is worth keeping the Digbeth pubs on the list .In terms of walking time,the inclusion of the Woodman,fine pub that it is,does crank up the time taken so maybe it can be considered a wild card for those with the time.Below is a route for the last 6 pubs without the Woodman.

https://www.google.com/maps/dir/Post...d52.477754!3e2

No one should feel any compulsion to visit every pub on Gill 's list ,I will probably swerve the Burning Soul tap,but the list is useful if folk need to have a rough idea where the crawlers are likely to be if they decide to linger a while longer/miss out a pub /visit somewhere off piste/pub photography missions/ and so on.

The number of pubs visited and the amount of beer consumed has to be a personal choice,so I have nothing against the route that Gill set out.

Quote Originally Posted by Bucking Fastard View Post
    I think it is worth keeping the Digbeth pubs on the list .In terms of walking time,the inclusion of the Woodman,fine pub that it is,does crank up the time taken so maybe it can be considered a wild card for those with the time.

No one should feel any compulsion to visit every pub on Gill 's list ,I will probably swerve the Burning Soul tap,but the list is useful if folk need to have a rough idea where the crawlers are likely to be if they decide to linger a while longer/miss out a pub /visit somewhere off piste/pub photography missions/ and so on.

The number of pubs visited and the amount of beer consumed has to be a personal choice,so I have nothing against the route that Gill set out.
    Yes, that's a useful map link. The same argument could also apply to the Spotted Dog, which I think is a less worthy pub than the Woodman (though I agree the Woodman is a bit of a trek), but that's just a personal view. I wasn't saying the Digbeth pubs should be taken off the list, merely suggesting that no one should feel that they have let themselves down, let the whole party down, let Pubs Galore down, if they don't complete the whole itinerary.

Which I think is what you're saying too!
    Come On You Hatters!