Ads not shown when logged in
Page 8 of 16 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: 10th Anniversary Pub Crawl in Birmingham

Quote Originally Posted by gillhalfpint View Post
    This has been fun plotting,so here is my view which of course is adaptable to add or subtract or amend. A bit messy with replacing tram lines down Corporation St to New St at the moment and stops keep changing round Bull St, so I propose I am going to do a dummy run to check opening times - have been iffy with some opening late afternoon - and bus stops - and well I could do with an entertaining day out.

Wellington opens 10am so good meeting place.
    Bartons Arms a 51 bus there, then
    Bull
    Gunmakers
    These are close together and can be done any order. I would do Hockley next as not far to Metro from Gunmakers and get off Jewellery Quarter
    Jewellers Arms
    Rock n Roll
    Back to Colmore Row
    Old Joint Stock
    Colmore
    Post Office Vaults
    Craven Arms

then down to

Lamp Tavern
    Anchor
    White Swan
    Spotted Dog

I would add the Woodman here

Reckon I will enjoy a wander on Friday 1st just in the name of research of course.

Gill
    Looks good, it appears the Rock & Roll Brewhouse doesn't open till 5pm which would likely rule it out which is a shame.
    "Everybody's got to believe in something. I believe I'll have another beer."
    -W.C.Fields

Quote Originally Posted by Mobyduck View Post
    Looks good, it appears the Rock & Roll Brewhouse doesn't open till 5pm which would likely rule it out which is a shame.
    Burning Soul Taproom opens at 3.

I am a salmon !!

This Space For Hire gillhalfpint's Avatar

I could have put the taprooms on like Dig Brew ( drinking was outside while tap room being refurbed last time we went) and Halton Turner, both in Digbeth, but not sure if you wanted tap rooms too. So many good pubs as has been mentioned. Burning Soul instead of Rock n Roll possible as just off the metro line.
    Alcohol doesn't solve problems .... but then again, neither does milk.

I could have put the taprooms on like Dig Brew ( drinking was outside while tap room being refurbed last time we went) and Halton Turner, both in Digbeth, but not sure if you wanted tap rooms too. So many good pubs as has been mentioned. Burning Soul instead of Rock n Roll possible as just off the metro line.
    Personally, I prefer proper pubs to tap rooms. The latter are ok if doing a bit of research for yourself, but on a crawl I would rather go to pubs.
    Come On You Hatters!

I have done a work out on paper looking at the bus stops etc for getting out and back into town and will do the dummy run this week.

From Wellington, walk down to junction Carr Lane High St and get 51 or 33 to Bartons.

51 or 33 back to Lancaster St stop and cross roads to Price St for Bull.

Walk Loveday and Bath St to Gunmakers

Walk Shadwell and turn left for St Chads Metro Stop for Metro to Jewellery Quarter
    or..turn right across canal to Water St stop for 16 or 74 bus to Hockley St for Jewellers Arms

If you don't want Burning Soul can go back to main road where Clifton and Church Inn are if you fancy them, and return to Snow Hill area by metro or 16 bus and continue with the town pubs.

Gill

Walk Shadwell and turn left for St Chads Metro Stop for Metro to Jewellery Quarter
    or..turn right across canal to Water St stop for 16 or 74 bus to Hockley St for Jewellers Arms
    This reminds me that the Birmingham Plus Bus ticket also covers tram fares (Adult: £3.40, Railcard holder: £2.25). Anyone else who, like me, is entitled to free bus travel, note that trams are only free for residents of West Midlands.

There are works going on in parts of the tram system, which are said to be scheduled for completion "by October", but whether complete or not they are still running between Bull Street and Wolverhampton. The fare is £1.50 single from St Chads to Jewellery Quarter (for Jewellers Arms, for example) but £2.40 if going as far as Soho Benson Road (for the Black Eagle, if anyone's interested). An all-day ticket is £4.80, so the £2.25 (with railcard discount) for Plus Bus is good value.
    Come On You Hatters!

On way round so thoughts. Old Joint Stock could be done after Welly out of the back. Logic puts 51 or 33 to Price St to do Bull and Gunmakers as they are on the right side of the road off the bus, then back to get bus to Bartons. Makes sense as 33 or 51 back to town then for 16 to Jewellery Quarter and will save a lot of time. 14 on in Welly. 7 usuals and 7 guests. 3 on in Bull. Looks good so far.

In Gunmakers. 3 of theirs on.

In Bartons.. Oakham Citra and JHB plus 1 guest Titanic Plum Porter on. Other guest Fixed. Wheel ran out.

Having a couple then will head back. All on reduced wickets. May be better on a Friday though.
    Trams running from Upper Bull by Square Peg JDW OK, but town really is a working mess and I cannot see it being sorted before Christmas, not October!

Gill
    Last edited by gillhalfpint; 28-09-2021 at 09:00.

Just a thought, if you are in the city centre you could slip The Good Intent as a wildcard. I like Craddocks beers and it is worth a visit if you haven't been.

I am a salmon !!

This Space For Hire

Quote Originally Posted by sheffield hatter View Post
    Personally, I prefer proper pubs to tap rooms.
    Yes. I like to experience an area's pubs, finding that tap rooms are a bit samey.

Quote Originally Posted by Delboy20 View Post
    Just a thought, if you are in the city centre you could slip The Good Intent as a wildcard. I like Craddocks beers and it is worth a visit if you haven't been.
    Good shout.
    "Everybody's got to believe in something. I believe I'll have another beer."
    -W.C.Fields